JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ditto for the two addresses for me. I should probably have just stuck with the residential addy alone.

I hope they do away with the stickers. I now have the "Real ID" (so I can fly/etc.) and I will be moving in a year or two.
I finally had to complain to the postmaster about our mail delivery. There have been times when he's driven past our home 2-3 times without stopping and then returned at 6:30PM-7:00PM. After some of the other neighbors complained, he was terminated. It seems that in my case, he was unsure about my name because some of the correspondence was address to "Dr." and some had Ph.d behind my name. Still others were titled "Pastor" or Reverend." The postmaster told us that he informed this person that they were to deliver to the address NOT the addressee! His response was that he couldn't find my address (which is on my mailbox and two locations on the house) even though the postmaster drove directly to our home and delivered two pieces of mail that had been found in a mail "dump." The former mail delivery person has now been hired as an advisor to Sleepy Joe.

In fairness to incompetence, I would like to point out that I worked on Saturdays for my friend Ron, who owned a sporting goods store. A man came into the store to buy a hunting/fishing license and I asked him for his driver's license so that I could fill out the paperwork. All went well until I got to his height. It read that he was 6' tall. I'm 5'10" and he was a lot shorter than I was. So, I pointed out that there was an error on his driver's license. I pointed to the obvious discrepancy and he pulled himself up to his full 5'6" and said in a big voice that he was 6' tall and what was I driving at? I told him that the fault was mine as I had trouble determining actually heights and distances. He calmed down very quickly.

Was it Kiefer Sutherland or Tom Cruise?

I have come to expect some incompetence in government employees. I know most of them are probably good at their jobs, so maybe it is just my luck that I encounter the incompetent ones?
At the risk of offending gov't employees, I will exclude everyone on this forum my criticism. Our gov't is in the mess that it is due 9in part) to the incompetence of it's employees. I believe that to be true at every level of gov't from federal to state to local. I ask you to consider that many folks in Orygun that applied for unemployment benefits, still haven't received a dime. The administration simply claims that there's a "glitch" somewhere. Many of us saw the expose' of city of Portland employees sleeping in their city-owned vehicles or parked somewhere reading a book. Try getting a building permit or an exemption for zoning. If you own a business you already know that no one hires a former gov't employee for anything. Gov't is the bastion for those with useless degrees in the liberal arts. Where else are you going to find employment with a degree in "women's studies" or "Easter European Art History?" Need I say more?

To be fair, some of my family has worked their whole career in government - especially ODOT, some still do.

I worked a temp job once at the same dept. as my mother - I wasn't impressed by some of the employees, even though they had impressive degrees (Phds in the field). They took two hour lunches and often just did very little.

I believe one reason OED can't handle the load right now is because of their software and computers. The government typically pays about 30-40% less than the private sector when it comes to software engineers, so it is no big surprise that they are not able to hire good people, and that their software would be a mess.

The other reason is that they simply did not have the number of caseworkers to handle the load of such an unprecedented number of claimants. They shouldn't have needed to handle so many cases manually, most of it should have been handled by the software, but they sat on their thumbs when provided millions to improve their system.

That said, I worked on poorly written legacy systems developed by at least partially incompetent devs at my last job. No small part of that was due to management - from the bottom to the top, from Portland all the way back to Germany. Millions of $ and years were wasted there too. It is surprising they got anything done.

At the risk of offending gov't employees, I will exclude everyone on this forum my criticism. Our gov't is in the mess that it is due 9in part) to the incompetence of it's employees. I believe that to be true at every level of gov't from federal to state to local. I ask you to consider that many folks in Orygun that applied for unemployment benefits, still haven't received a dime. The administration simply claims that there's a "glitch" somewhere. Many of us saw the expose' of city of Portland employees sleeping in their city-owned vehicles or parked somewhere reading a book. Try getting a building permit or an exemption for zoning. If you own a business you already know that no one hires a former gov't employee for anything. Gov't is the bastion for those with useless degrees in the liberal arts. Where else are you going to find employment with a degree in "women's studies" or "Easter European Art History?" Need I say more?
So Gunny, you complaining that you had problems finding employment after you left your government job? :s0026:

I believe one reason OED can't handle the load right now is because of their software and computers. The government typically pays about 30-40% less than the private sector when it comes to software engineers, so it is no big surprise that they are not able to hire good people, and that their software would be a mess.

The other reason is that they simply did not have the number of caseworkers to handle the load of such an unprecedented number of claimants. They shouldn't have needed to handle so many cases manually, most of it should have been handled by the software, but they sat on their thumbs when provided millions to improve their system.

That said, I worked on poorly written legacy systems developed by at least partially incompetent devs at my last job. No small part of that was due to management - from the bottom to the top, from Portland all the way back to Germany. Millions of $ and years were wasted there too. It is surprising they got anything done.

Government software is a nightmare too. The amount of bureaucracy involved just to use certain 3rd party libraries can be a pain. While I personally haven't worked on any I have friends who have and a common complaint is being limited to old releases of libraries because they have been approved, despite security flaws or lack of support.

Government software is a nightmare too. The amount of bureaucracy involved just to use certain 3rd party libraries can be a pain. While I personally haven't worked on any I have friends who have and a common complaint is being limited to old releases of libraries because they have been approved, despite security flaws or lack of support.

I got a little of that at Daimler, especially the first 5 years. We were told we couldn't install/use Chrome, only Internet Exploder. But then IE had a bunch of security flaws and they told us to use Chrome. I just ignored them.

As time went on it got better, but it took time/effort and they were always about 10 years behind the rest of the world.

I got a little of that at Daimler, especially the first 5 years. We were told we couldn't install/use Chrome, only Internet Exploder. But then IE had a bunch of security flaws and they told us to use Chrome. I just ignored them.

As time went on it got better, but it took time/effort and they were always about 10 years behind the rest of the world.

Sadly there are still companies that use IE11. I can't say for sure about government, but I would be surprised if no one was. Maintaining support for IE11, when it doesn't support modern JS, is a pain. Not to mention that IE11 is rife with vulnerabilities.

To be fair, some of my family has worked their whole career in government - especially ODOT, some still do.

I worked a temp job once at the same dept. as my mother - I wasn't impressed by some of the employees, even though they had impressive degrees (Phds in the field). They took two hour lunches and often just did very little.

I've posted on this forum about working for WDFW until I retired. It was that experience that proved to me that Gov't doesn't always hire the brightest and best. Obviously there are employees that work hard and do their best but by and large, Gov't doesn't promote efficiency or productivity. In my opinion.

I find it interesting that Walmart's decision to pull guns and ammo off the displays makes big news, but their reversal a day later.. crickets. Guess putting guns and weapons back on display just didn't fit the desired narrative.

I don't worry about or support Walmart, the killer of the mom and pop shop, and sometimes the companies that supply them with buyers pushing price points so low that the maker loses their shirt in the deal.
Walmart, May your blade chip and shatter.

Last Edited:
Anyone seeing a shortage of plywood and particle board at the lumber yards? I would expect stores are stocking up so they can board up windows.
Not really a shortage, but board prices are definitely UP, except maybe tile backing board like Hardee, etc they use for tile installations. Trickier to install than straight up wood, but definitely tougher.

I think the WalMart thing pulling the guns off the shelves is overkill. Unless they figure their own employees would steal the guns. I had a senior employee at the Auburn (WA) WalMart tell me once that store security watches the help much more than the customers. She also used to work in security at that store, so I believe her. She said much more stuff gets stolen by the help than by customers. :D And considering what WalMart pays the help...is this REALLY a big surprise?

Not really a shortage, but board prices are definitely UP, except maybe tile backing board like Hardee, etc they use for tile installations. Trickier to install than straight up wood, but definitely tougher.

I think the WalMart thing pulling the guns off the shelves is overkill. Unless they figure their own employees would steal the guns. I had a senior employee at the Auburn (WA) WalMart tell me once that store security watches the help much more than the customers. She also used to work in security at that store, so I believe her. She said much more stuff gets stolen by the help than by customers. :D And considering what WalMart pays the help...is this REALLY a big surprise?
I thought their concern was for BLM/Antifa rioters and looters stealing them.

Walmart-1.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads