JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Walmart, the nation's largest retailer, says it expects to hire 100,000 vets over five years.

Retail giant Walmart pledged Tuesday to hire any returning military veteran that wants a job with the company.

Walmart U.S. CEO Bill Simon told a retail conference in New York City the company expects to hire 100,000 veterans over the next five years, one of the largest-ever hiring commitments of former military personnel.

"We believe Walmart is already the largest private employer of veterans in the country, and we want to hire more," Simon said. "Hiring a veteran can be one of the best decisions any of us can make...Veterans have a record of performance under pressure. They're quick leaders and they're team players."

Starting Memorial Day, Walmart will offer a position to any honorably discharged veteran in his or her first 12 months off of active duty. Most of these jobs will be in Walmart stores and Sam’s Clubs, and some will be in distribution centers or the home office.

The announcement was met ethusiastically by employment agencies that place veterans in jobs.

“We’re ecstatic,” said Ron Rutherford, business development manager at the career site TAonline. “The commitment is like an open hand willing to assist any veteran who wants to work.”

The plan has also gotten a warm reception in Washington, where first lady Michelle Obama said it “a groundbreaking example for the private sector to follow.”

But Walmart’s deep roster of critics say the jobs will do little to help returning military members get on their feet financially.

“The jobs will be part time, 28 hours a week” said Bronx resident and Army veteran Edgar Lucas.

Lucas, who worked for a Walmart in Kentucky, called the plan a “scheme.”

“Anything that’s not 40 hours, I don’t know how it’s going to help these veterans,” he said.
Walmart
David Goldman/AP
Walmart also promised to buy an additional $50 billion in U.S.-made goods over the next decade in areas like sporting goods and appliances.

A group of protesters lined up outside the Javits Center in ManhattanTuesday as Simon gave his speech, accusing the nation’s largest private employer of unfair work practices and of keeping employees short of 40 hour work weeks to avoid paying benefits.

“Walmart is the driving force that fuels underemployment in the county,” said Yana Walton, a spokeswoman for the advocacy group the Retail Action Project. “These aren’t the kinds of jobs for folks returning home, or for Americans,” she said.

The hiring push could generate millions in tax breaks for Walmart — employers can get tax credits of as much as $9,600 for hiring a veteran, depending on certain criteria, under a U.S. tax provision extended through 2013.

Walmart’s announcement Tuesday also included a pledge to spend an additional $50 billion on U.S.-made products over the next 10 years.

“I know according to urban legend Walmart’s shelves are filled with foreign products,” Simon said. "But the truth may surprise you.”

Read more: Walmart pledges a job to every honorably discharged veteran - NY Daily News
:s0160:

28 hrs/wk = no healthcare requirement under obamacare. Not that that's bad per se, but the fact that it's not a full time job likely means crap schedules and less money to take care of one's own insurance. That's not a Walmart-isolated problem however.

In 2011 Walmart reported $422 billion in revenue, so $5 billion extra on such a number is not overly significant. Especially not since Walmart also sells a lot of food items. I did understand they carry Channelock tools, a lot of which are produced in the US (and at pretty good prices too). I just don't like shopping there, it seems as if employees are just more grumpy. Although they apparently pay better than Target, Target employees seem more content with what they do.

BTW, I don't really get Michelle Obama's response... "for the private sector to follow".... is Walmart a government-owned business these days?

28 hrs/wk = no healthcare requirement under obamacare. Not that that's bad per se, but the fact that it's not a full time job likely means crap schedules and less money to take care of one's own insurance. That's not a Walmart-isolated problem however.

In 2011 Walmart reported $422 billion in revenue, so $5 billion extra on such a number is not overly significant. Especially not since Walmart also sells a lot of food items. I did understand they carry Channelock tools, a lot of which are produced in the US (and at pretty good prices too). I just don't like shopping there, it seems as if employees are just more grumpy. Although they apparently pay better than Target, Target employees seem more content with what they do.

BTW, I don't really get Michelle Obama's response... "for the private sector to follow".... is Walmart a government-owned business these days?

Don't worry ! These vets can get free health care at the V.A. ! The only government run health organization that is WORSE than obamacare. After the vet completes his/her free malpractice session they can return to living in a tent, just like the folks they left behind in Afghanistan. Follow the money trail. The only winner here is Walmart.

Does it matter if Target pays $9.00 hr when Walmart pays $8.75 ? Last time I checked it took about double that just to get by in a cheap apt. somewhere and not have to go without things. I believe people should be payed for their skills not given handouts, but risking your life for your country ought to count for something. BTW I know these dollar amounts because I've done it. Kudos to you who are making do on less, my hat is off to your survival skills.

Walmart met with Biden and is in bed with the anti gunners, They have allready stopped ordering ammo and I saw on the news tonight they were asked to stop selling assault weapons, Im sure they will do what ever O bummer says. I say F%&K walmart and I really believe that every 2A supporting member of this forum should boycot them!. Just my $.02

Don't worry ! These vets can get free health care at the V.A. ! The only government run health organization that is WORSE than obamacare. After the vet completes his/her free malpractice session they can return to living in a tent, just like the folks they left behind in Afghanistan. Follow the money trail. The only winner here is Walmart.

The only truly correct thing you say here is that Walmart is the only winner. Veterans health care is on a tiered system depending upon several factors. The Affordable Healthcare Act is not a health organization. It's a funding stream that has private insurance companies licking their chops. As for VA health care, your description is not the experience of those I know who use it. For something more than my limited data points, read this: 'Socialized' or Not, We Can Learn from the VA | RAND

But what the heck, it's more fun to just pull stuff out of a rectum.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top