JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This might not end so good for the shop owner!

If he was threatened by the intruder who had a weapon then the owner will probably be OK. If he shot the intruder just because he was stealing stuff, then the owner is going to jail. Deadly force can't be used to protect property, only people.

He broke into the New York Western Outfitter store?

Must have been an out of work Country singer that hoped that a rhinestone suit would help his career. He was wrong.

The AP story is very short on details. KNDO reports that the owner lives at the store and saw the intruder break in, and that they got into a fight. Text and video: Burglar is shot and killed by store owner - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

In the video, they say that the burglar was found outside the store with bullet wounds in his calf, torso and head.

The officer in the video said
"We believe that he was confronted in the store, and some sort of altercation occurred at that time that resulted subsequently in gunshots."
Reporter: "Was he shot in the store?"
Officer: "Well, we're still investigating that, so we don't know exactly where that occurred"

They also said that 5 shell casings were found outside the store. The burglar had a long, violent criminal history. So I suppose it's still possible that the owner was trying to stop the guy, things got too violent, and he felt that his life was in danger when he used deadly force. Or maybe the gun was fired from inside and the shells landed outside. It's also possible that the burglar broke free and then the owner shot him, but I sure hope not. At least there are no reports of wounds to the back.

Bigfoot - yes, the sign said New York Store Western Outfitters, Inc. Burglar was a know gang member, no word of any fondness for rhinestones. ;)

This might not end so good for the shop owner!

If he was threatened by the intruder who had a weapon then the owner will probably be OK. If he shot the intruder just because he was stealing stuff, then the owner is going to jail. Deadly force can't be used to protect property, only people.

Try again. Read the law before you state "facts". Person enters your home, it is called a "home invasion"...you can use whatever force you deam necessary....and guess what, if the invasion is into your store, it works the same way....The invasion is all the threat that is needed.

You should be able to defend your property with deadly force. If that were legal, there would maybe be a little less repeat burgulars methinks. Someone that will break into your house/car/store to take YOUR things is beyond help. The poverty/peer-pressure argument is a non-starter with me, THAT person makes the decision to go onto someone elses private space and violate it. Sounds like just desserts to me

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top