Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Walking Dead - Give Your Pistol the Middle Finger

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by etrain16, Mar 30, 2016.

1. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I don't know how many folks here still follow the Walking Dead, but I'm still on board with the show. This week a scene came up with a guy pulling a gun on Daryl, and while it was a surprise that he was caught unaware, what really caught my attention was how the guy was gripping the pistol - with his middle finger on the trigger. Here is a photo:

fxM5781.png

I've not seen anyone do this before, and I can't think there would be any benefit, rather it would likely make it much more difficult to shoot the gun. I don't know why he's doing this - I was trying to see if maybe his trigger finger was cut off or wounded, but it appears intact.

I guess at some point in the past, someone suggested this might be a possibly useful technique as it left you pointing your finger at the target while using your middle finger to pull the trigger. From what little searching I did, it sounds like it was a no go for anyone that tried it.

Aside from the grip, it appears, from the angle of the photo that he's holding at such an angle/elevation that he wouldn't be able to see the sights. Reminds me a bit of the 'gangsta' style hold where they not only turn the gun 90 degrees, but also hold it up high while they bust a cap in their rival members ;)

Anyway, I just thought it was curious and wondered why they chose to go this route.

206thsense, Joe Link and v0lcom13sn0w like this.
  2. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

My guess, guys stupid!:cool:

3. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

I caught that too. Oof. The only time I've seen that done is with that High Standard derringer (one of which you might have).

etrain16 likes this.
  4. 2A2Dend

2A2Dend .. Well-Known Member

Next time I go shoot, I'll try giving my gun the middle finger.
    Depending on the serrations, the slide could do some damage to that pointer.

Carrie M, Pops1911, Flopsweat and 2 others like this.
  5. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Just don't try it on your revolver!:eek:

Swedish K, BoonDocks36 and etrain16 like this.
  6. decklin

decklin WA Well-Known Member

It's called point shooting. I've also heard it by a couple other names. It's not new. Been around more than 200 years.
    I saw the episode and noticed it too. Only other time I've seen it on tv was The Punisher with Thomas Jane.

oknow and etrain16 like this.
  7. ob1

ob1 49th parallel Well-Known Member

Well at least the guy knows which end to point at the target. Coming from the Hollywood gene pool, that makes him a varsity player. o_O

8. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

He probably has his lines written down on the backside of the web of his thumb and index finger so he can read them while in that pose...

:rolleyes:

ocarolan and etrain16 like this.
  9. CHLChris

CHLChris Portland Metro East Love me some guns! Bronze Supporter

I saw the exact same thing on the last episode. Their gunplay on the show is not as bad as it gets, but it is definitely one point with the least attention to detail. The wide use of automatic fire is horrifying!! Could you imagine being short on ammo--desperately short, probably--and flipping the fun switch? Plus, out of all the rifles in existence in this nation, what percentage is actually full-auto, anyway?

Joe Link, Hdshot and etrain16 like this.
  10. slimer13

slimer13 Deer Park Well-Known Member

Anyone remember when they were at the prison, and whoever was on lookout was looking through an Aimpoint or something similar and it had crosshairs?o_O

etrain16 likes this.
  11. CHLChris

I absolutely love the show. I even watch Talking Dead afterward.

But there are always gun things that are so annoying!! All the time, for example, they are in some harrowing situation outside the walls of whatever home they're in at the time, walkers everywhere, and then one of them pulls the gun and racks the slide.:eek::mad::confused: What, they were carrying COLD?!?! I don't get it.

clearconscience and etrain16 like this.
  12. etrain16

I've wondered about the full auto too - in particular the scene from this last episode where Carol fires a full auto she had sewn up in her jacket sleeve - no idea where the shells - or worse yet, the magazine went - and how the hell did she even aim it, or not get knocked back by the recoil??

Ah heck, it's all for fun anyway - logic goes out the window ;)

decklin and Dyjital like this.
  13. etrain16

Ah come on, you know how intimidating and fun it is to rack the slide - kind of like pumping a shotgun :p Funny, you don't see them pull the charging handle on their AR's very often.

14. Boboclown

Boboclown North Carolina Well-Known Member

Well, maybe he was trying to get used to it in case he loses his index finger. ;) Not much of a reason to do that tbh.

I only watched a few episodes, but wasn't there a time when a guy looked through a scope with a blind eye? And another had no rear sight? Might be thinking of another show or something...

For some reason, I don't think the zombies think of it as intimidating.

clearconscience and etrain16 like this.
  15. CHLChris

Apparently Greg Nicotero consults anatomy textbooks to make sure that walkers are created with the most correct detail as possible.

But they still make actors cock their Glock. It bugs the crap out of me!

At least the acting and writing are some of the best on TV.

16. etrain16

Not the zombies - the living folk - saviors, wolves, etc. ;)

17. P7id10T

P7id10T Cedar Hills Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Hollywood. I stopped watching Walking Dead somewhere in the 2nd season when I started rooting for the zombies. What're they on now?

Note his index finger is on the slide. I couldn't imagine shooting this way, limp wristing is probably a common issue.

18. Boboclown

Boboclown North Carolina Well-Known Member

The living people might be scared of it, but the wolf might be thinking lunch either way. o_O

19. etrain16

Up to season 6 now - I recall they've been extended for at least 2 more seasons.

20. etrain16

I'm referring to the wolves - the group of bad guys with "W" carved into their foreheads ;)