JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Walgreens Corporate has fired a pharmacist in Michigan after he fired several shots at armed robber!
The pharmacist had complained about lax security in the store but was ignored. Now after defending fellow employees and himself he gets fired...
Crazy!

I hope Walgreens will reconsider this termination...

<broken link removed>

When I was going to school in Milwaukee (WI), I don't think there was a Walgreen's there at that time I would have been caught dead in if I weren't armed. I can't imagine working in one! Hopefully Walgreens gets their priorities straight after this one.

He probably violated company policy (not that I agree with the policy). Hopefully Walgreen's gets enough flack over it from the public and they'll change their mind like Dutch Bros. did here in Oregon.

I drive Dump truck for a family owned corp. These guys are as pro 2nd amendment as you can get. And have been for Generations. I would venture 3/4 of the 60+ employees hunt regularly. And I would ventured 90% of the emp own firearms.

If I were to be found on company property with a firearm or carry a firearm in a company vehicle I would expect to be fired and handed my last paycheck within an hour of it being found out.

Company policy based on Liability insurance co rates and conditions. So giving the guy an attaboy might be a good thing but the rules or the reason for the rules are most likely based on economics. Save a few thousand on the Liability insurance can be a big motivator.

Last year an extremely valuable emp of the company a Dump truck driver with 22 years with the company went off his nut and beat up one of the other drivers who had been mouthing off to him for weeks. The mouthy driver was hurt even to the point of loosing a part of his hearing. This took place at a gravel pit we park our trucks at and do the majority of our work out of.

Within an hour of the "fight" he was fired his keys turned in his last paycheck handed to him and he was banned from the gravel pit (this cost him his chances of finding another job in any capacity with any company doing business with the largest gravel pit and asphalt plant in the area). He did find another job but only with a company that had no ties to the Gravel pit or to our company.

All of this was a direct result of our companies insurance carriers policy.

Mark W - are you assuming or is there a clear policey regrading firearms?

There is a very clear policy about firearms or weapons of any type (not to include things like pocket knives used as tools on the job) Our company has a Spring time Start up meeting every year before the construction season gets underway and our complete employees hand book about 60 pages is read and reviewed along with various safety and other types of training.

This is far and away the best outfit I have ever worked for in the 48 years I have been working (I started picking crops at age 5 went to hourly work at 12 every single vacation every year I went to school)

There is a very clear policy about firearms or weapons of any type (not to include things like pocket knives used as tools on the job) Our company has a Spring time Start up meeting every year before the construction season gets underway and our complete employees hand book about 60 pages is read and reviewed along with various safety and other types of training.

This is far and away the best outfit I have ever worked for in the 48 years I have been working (I started picking crops at age 5 went to hourly work at 12 every single vacation every year I went to school)

i think he meant do you know walgreens has that written in their policies? why do we need to know about your construction policies?

I drive Dump truck for a family owned corp. These guys are as pro 2nd amendment as you can get. And have been for Generations. I would venture 3/4 of the 60+ employees hunt regularly. And I would ventured 90% of the emp own firearms.

If I were to be found on company property with a firearm or carry a firearm in a company vehicle I would expect to be fired and handed my last paycheck within an hour of it being found out.

Company policy based on Liability insurance co rates and conditions. So giving the guy an attaboy might be a good thing but the rules or the reason for the rules are most likely based on economics. Save a few thousand on the Liability insurance can be a big motivator.

Last year an extremely valuable emp of the company a Dump truck driver with 22 years with the company went off his nut and beat up one of the other drivers who had been mouthing off to him for weeks. The mouthy driver was hurt even to the point of loosing a part of his hearing. This took place at a gravel pit we park our trucks at and do the majority of our work out of.

Within an hour of the "fight" he was fired his keys turned in his last paycheck handed to him and he was banned from the gravel pit (this cost him his chances of finding another job in any capacity with any company doing business with the largest gravel pit and asphalt plant in the area). He did find another job but only with a company that had no ties to the Gravel pit or to our company.

Ridiculous.

I would strongly suggest that it's long past time to hunt for another insurance carrier: One who uses FBI/DoJ crimes stats instead of VPC/Brady hogwash for their underwriting!

I don't shop at Walgreens.....And if people ask why I will tell them the story of the Walgreen employee defending himself. Screw the insurance companies, nice to know the company is insured while you are 6 feet under...Spad:pound:

Companies are in it for the profit. They need insurance, but they want it cheap. Being anti-2a makes sense for insurance companies. Until we all stop shopping at walgreens and go to rite-aid(I haven't looked up their stance on the issue) and let walgreens know why, then they can have the money earned by not buying extra insurance for protected employees. Vote with your dollars, thats the only thing that makes sense. Voicing your opinion means little until it affects their bottom line. I carry in my local rite-aid, of course, they don't know. I'll still keep my glock with me when I go into walgreens as well.

Until we all stop shopping at walgreens and go to rite-aid(I haven't looked up their stance on the issue) and let walgreens know why, then they can have the money earned by not buying extra insurance for protected employees. Vote with your dollars, thats the only thing that makes sense. Voicing your opinion means little until it affects their bottom line...
Agreed

Here is the answer i got via email....
May 21, 2011

Dear Mr. Butterfield,

Thank you for contacting Walgreens regarding this matter. Our policies in this area are designed to maintain the maximum safety of our customers and employees.Store employees receive comprehensive training on our company's robbery procedures and how to react and respond to a potential robbery situation. In past incidents, employees have told us they've found this training effective.These policies and training programs are endorsed by law enforcement, which strongly advises against confrontation of crime suspects.Compliance is safer than confrontation. Through this practice, we have been able to maintain an exemplary record of safety.We've made significant investments in security technology in recent years, including increasing the number of digital surveillance cameras at our stores.With upgrades to security technology, we are able to provide police with high-resolution photographs and video of crime suspects.We continue to invest in state-of-the-art security measures and high-definition surveillance equipment and hope that the apprehension of robbery suspects in the Benton Harbor area will prevent future crimes. Thank you for contacting Walgreens to share your comments.

Sincerely,

Ella

Consumer Response Representative

Ref # 3088492

Last Edited:
"These policies and training programs are endorsed by law enforcement, which strongly advises against confrontation of crime suspects.Compliance is safer than confrontation."

Progressive company promotes victimization of its employees and customers! Encouraging the villians to victimize more people.

Right to Privacy vs Right to the Means to Self-Defense: I'll take self-defense every time. Walgreens doesn't need my business.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top