JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Tbag might as well go get your CWP while you're waiting.
Took me 15 minutes at the county courthouse to fill out the paperwork and get printed. CWP arrived in 3 weeks.
Save you a lot of time waiting around in the future. In and out in 10 minutes.

I already have one. That is a good idea though. Thanks for the positive response.

I just had a similar experience with a hold on my background check. At the beginning they (OSP) did give an estimated date which was 5 weeks out. They then delayed it two more times. After leaving a phone message with the OSP twice they called me on a Sunday. The officer told me what was causing the hold, they hadn't been able to get some court information, and suggested I might have better luck getting the information in person. Ten minutes talking to a nice lady at the court records room got me the court record which I faxed to the OSP. Three months after the start the BGC was passed without issue. I did get the gun after the 3 day waiting period as the FFL knows me but still a hassle to deal with. I've had a CHP for over 15 years and passed the BGC many times without a problem until this time. At least it's all straightened out now.

Thanks for the info. I will continue to pursue this and update as I learn more. As of now my projected date is April 18th....

I also had this happen to me last week. The OSP background check date was the 21st, and was delayed til the 3rd of April. I've passed this check many, many times before, and nothing has changed, or happened in my life that would affect the outcome. This is deffinetly OSP and it's BS.

All it takes is a few idiot politicians in high office to ruin it for everyone. I'm sure there is pressure on the state from the feds...

:);)
If "they" were doing it "they" would be doing it to everybody.

Dude, if you believe that, I have some property I would like to sell to you....This Country is plagued by double standards. The Feds can do whatever they want and may have set parameters that only trigger the long wait time. Say for people with minor offences on their records or whatever. This is partial control & a rights violation without actually appearing as such. Our government is not stupid, they are just ignorant.

So when was the last time you bought anything?

First of all OTIS how is that any of your business?

But to play along.

I bought a Pistol about 2 weeks ago FTF

I bought a Pistol 3 weeks ago FTF

And middele of Feb a Shotgun bought out of state through an out of state FFL (BGC took about 4 min done on the computer).

Prior to that well none of this is your business so never mind

:);)

Dude, if you believe that, I have some property I would like to sell to you....This Country is plagued by double standards. The Feds can do whatever they want and may have set parameters that only trigger the long wait time. Say for people with minor offences on their records or whatever. This is partial control & a rights violation without actually appearing as such. Our government is not stupid, they are just ignorant.

Like I said earlier 1/3 of the info up front 1/3 trickled through the thread and NO clue as the the end of the story.
We have now found out "Say for people with minor offences on their records or whatever" There is a reason to delay you and take a looky at you closer.

I was told I would have to wait over one month for background check.
As far as I know Oregon BGC's are done in a "Queue" style.. Even at busy days/gun shows I've never had a phone check take more than a few hours.. and now they have the internet based checks which usually take 15 minutes~. Even during peak panic buying they weren't taking a month.

So unless your background check is being done via Carrier Pigeon (a slow one at that) there's something else probably going on :D.

(This is just my experience though, there's lots of uncommon things that can come in to play that often don't.. if nothing else firearm laws are convoluted.. so maybe in the state or Oregon if you have red hair and were born between April 14th and June 24th you're required to wait 30 days)

Last Edited:
Curious to know how this turns out for you. With Wifey it was a "Delay", not an "OK" and not a "Denial". It was thirty days to the day the shop called and said to come and get the gun, since then no probs. That was her first gun.

As of Sat, I am the proud owner of an AR 15: I learned a lot. This was my first firearm purchase in Oregon. I had 2 things working against me. I was not born in this Country (yes I am Legal) haha & I have a misdemeanor on my record. They have to confirm several things re the misdemeanor. This requires getting paperwork from other courts. I can see how that is very time consuming. Store owner said it is very likely my next purchase will go quick. Note: not sure if this was coincidence or not but I called OSP last Fri. at 4pm & by 5pm I was approved......goin shootin!!!!

As of Sat, I am the proud owner of an AR 15...goin shootin!!!!
Let me be the first one to congratulate you :D.. Now comes the fun part: trying to find 5.56 that won't cost you your first born child.
[ed] Best advice I could give you: BUY A 22LR CONVERSION! Best $150-200 you could spend if you like plinking.

Glad to hear everything went OK - I would think whatever problems he encountered were likely resolved in the process, so hopefully things go quicker for you next time. I have trouble occasionally because of my middle name - for some reason they only put it down as a single letter, so it's officially just the letter "J" haha

Let me be the first one to congratulate you :D.. Now comes the fun part: trying to find 5.56 that won't cost you your first born child.
[ed] Best advice I could give you: BUY A 22LR CONVERSION! Best $150-200 you could spend if you like plinking.

Glad to hear everything went OK - I would think whatever problems he encountered were likely resolved in the process, so hopefully things go quicker for you next time.
Two weeks is appalling. Unless you have reason to deal with this FFl... i.e: no more waiting longer then the law obliges , I'd go elsewhere next time.

Glad to hear everything went OK - I would think whatever problems he encountered were likely resolved in the process, so hopefully things go quicker for you next time. I have trouble occasionally because of my middle name - for some reason they only put it down as a single letter, so it's officially just the letter "J" haha

Good advise. I was looking at the 22LR but it is $550. I'll look into the conversion....

Got a pretty interesting story for y'all here...

Went to buy a handgun at a LGS(With No CPL, a Washington license, a security clearance and a clean record minus a speeding ticket a year ago, which was cleared up), put in a BGC(Including SSN) and got delayed.

The next day, I put in for my CPL. TEN days after I submitted my check, I get a proceed, but had left for a month of unexpected travels, so the check expired(standard 30 day period to finish the paperwork). The LGS had a store policy against releasing after 72 hours w/o a proceed. Unfortunate, I know, didn't think to ask though.

So I get back from my trip, resubmit the check but this time with CPL in hand, and SSN again. Delayed. Today is now day number 12 on the clock, aka 9 business days.

Any thoughts? Ever seen some games like these?

Got a pretty interesting story for y'all here...

Went to buy a handgun at a LGS(With No CPL, a Washington license, a security clearance and a clean record minus a speeding ticket a year ago, which was cleared up), put in a BGC(Including SSN) and got delayed.

The next day, I put in for my CPL. TEN days after I submitted my check, I get a proceed, but had left for a month of unexpected travels, so the check expired(standard 30 day period to finish the paperwork). The LGS had a store policy against releasing after 72 hours w/o a proceed. Unfortunate, I know, didn't think to ask though.

So I get back from my trip, resubmit the check but this time with CPL in hand, and SSN again. Delayed. Today is now day number 12 on the clock, aka 9 business days.

Any thoughts? Ever seen some games like these?

There may be somebody with a name very similar to yours who hasn't been behaving himself. There is a way to get a PIN number (or something similar) from the ATF so that they know which J Koehn you are and don't hold you up. Others on this board are more familiar with the process than I am.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top