JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
<broken link removed>

I've often wondered about holding someone at gunpoint in this exact scenario. It has to be a difficult situation, especially if the guy was (hopefully was) armed. What's to keep him from fleeing other a boot to the neck? Not sure "just" a gun to the face would do it for your average tweaker. I don't know.

I've found myself outside at 3AM in my skivvies half awake with a 45 in one hand and a flashlight in the other before. Fortunately they've run off without my truck AND before I got there, but it's been close.

I see these stories and think...

I've often wondered about holding someone at gunpoint in this exact scenario. It has to be a difficult situation, especially if the guy was (hopefully was) armed. What's to keep him from fleeing other a boot to the neck? Not sure "just" a gun to the face would do it for your average tweaker. I don't know.

Everything I've read on this subject indicates don't do it. You open yourself up to a whole world of litigation that gets complicated to understand real quick, for starters if your life wasn't in danger then you didn't have the right to draw your gun in the first place even on your own property. You also don't have the right to use lethal force to defend your personal property (truck, tv, etc. ) and a bad guy still has a right to self defense if he is not putting you in jeopardy of life and you threaten him with his. There is nothing that you can do if the suspect flees. Its been a while since Ive revisited the topic, but the takeaway I've always come to is just dont do it. Let him go and be a good witness.

This is more a subject on how dangerous government is for decent people. A massive game of second-guessing a victim's actions, by people who were not there and who were not subjected to the deadly threat. I prefer the old West, when life was a lot more civilized.

Keep in mind that the end result of eliminating risk for home invaders, thieves, burglars and rapists (just letting them all go in every case) is to have a lot more home invasions, thefts, burglaries and rapes. Maybe that policy needs some re-thinking...

This is more a subject on how dangerous government is for decent people. A massive game of second-guessing a victim's actions, by people who were not there and who were not subjected to the deadly threat. I prefer the old West, when life was a lot more civilized.

Keep in mind that the end result of eliminating risk for home invaders, thieves, burglars and rapists (just letting them all go in every case) is to have a lot more home invasions, thefts, burglaries and rapes. Maybe that policy needs some re-thinking...

That underscores the difficult labrynth of ROE.

Here in Josephine County the sheriff does a fine job with the tools he is given. My hats off to everyone involved in the judicial system here. That being said, we have issues. Very big issues.

Property crime is so out of control that we're seeing cars being stolen and trashed just for the fun of it. Steal it, trash it until it runs out of gas then just walk away and find a another. Every single night. Get arrested? no big deal, you'll be out within the hour, might have to steal a car to drive home. It's a joke.

Go into town at 3:00AM and the number of people out in the streets is astonishing. Drug deals left & right, zero law enforcement. It's sad. Yes, I'm aware of the "you get what you pay for" rule. The whole property tax situation here is dismal.

They took away the well established funding mechanism and expect what? Many cannot afford a property tax increase. Those that are on a fixed income (government dependent) will not vote for a tax increase, so we are left to fend for ourselves. I'm okay with that, but the problem is the cards are stacked against you.

Beat the "crud" out of the punk stealing your pickup truck? Better have a really good lawyer. What do you do when the kid pull out a gun? Read the link above. The 18 year old is really good at stealing cars and carried a stolen gun for protection. We are supposed to just watch, be a good witness. Rubbish!

I know what you're thinking, and believe me, I would move if I had any sense. Problem is I love it here. Except for the crime that is. Texas has it right, even the playing field. Never happen here thanks to Salem.

I've done it once. The convenience store I lived across the street from at the time was robbed. The thieves jumped in their car and were trying to get the owner's son off the hood by gunning it and then slamming on the brakes. My house was literally right across the street. I grabbed my Ruger 9mm and ran out into the street and slammed the driver in the ear with the end of the slide through his open window. "Keys out the window, hands crossed and locked on the wheel". And several "You move, I shoot" statements from me. Hammer back, trigger staged.

Tacoma PD showed up a few minutes later (seemed like an eternity) from all directions, lights and sirens and lots of guns. Pointed at me. After the dust settled the bad guys went to jail and I was handed back my gun (although the cop asked me to secure it in my house before he would give me the magazine and the extra round back).

It was, to say the least, a lot of adrenaline and could have gone bad in so many ways. I won't say it was smart on my part and I admit my hands shook a bit after the adrenaline wore off. But I wasn't holding a gun on them for the robbery, but for the fact that the owner's son could have been run over if I just stood there. I knew the owner and her son quite well.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top