JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Liberals become conservative when they get mugged!
Quit turning it into politics. I was not a liberal who became a conservative after the attempted home invasion. I was simply a broke gunless experienced shooter who found out that between terms the ordinarily safe place she lived became very dangerous, dangerous enough to change my financial priorities. I spent $50, all I had, on the gun and ammo. I then had nothing to eat for three days. However, it was the right choice. Not obvious I would have lived through the second home invasion attempt. Note, another guy having chosen to break into the one occupied lit up place around, while I was wide awake and right there.

Right now many are deciding they are now less safe than they would prefer, and would prefer to have a gun. I dont think we know anything about their politics. And I wish people on this forum would quit making snotty self-congratulatory remarks about the politics and personalities of those buying their first gun now. There's nothing wrong with getting scared into buying your first gun. I did. So do lots of people.

Last Edited:
Quit turning it into politics. I was not a liberal who became a conservative after the attempted home invasion. I was simply a broke gunless experienced shooter who found out that between terms the ordinarily safe place she lived became very dangerous, dangerous enough to change my financial priorities. I spent $50, all I had, on the gun and ammo. I then had nothing to eat for three days. However, it was the right choice. Not obvious I would have lived through the second home invasion attempt. Note, another guy having chosen to break onto the one occupied lit up place around, while I was wide awake and right there.
Take it easy. The point was that attitudes change when one is confronted with crime at their door. It was not pointed at your situation. My place got robbed while I was out long ago and still remember how violated I felt. That was my point, not politics.

Me too. They're like the kids who show up on the last day of class and want to know what's on the test.

Yep. I've taught/introduced a lot of people to the sport. I'm not taking anyone on right now for a crash course. For me the number one thing is safety, and drilling safety with a BB gun until it becomes second nature, followed by mechanical function, i.e., understand what ever little piece of your firearm does. The very last thing is shooting. I won't shoot with anyone who wants to shortcut this process.
I relate. My dad started us kids with single shot .22 rifles. And handguns came only way later. But the handful of folks Ive taught have all been adult females who had just been attacked or had a close call. Responsible adults I knew very well who had immediate need. I started them on what they needed, a handgun they could carry. Huge amount of practice handling with empty weapon before firing though. Getting them doing stuff and moving around and fully reliable about not sweeping me, always checking status when handed a gun, loading, unloading, cleaning, etc.

But you DID have some gun experience. Had even taken a course. Didnt own a gun because circumstances didnt allow. Im saying I think there are many like you, experienced or not, who are buying guns now. That is, there are plenty of reasons for not owning a gun till now other than being an antigunner. There are lots of reasons for not having a gun even if you would like one. Money. No car, no way to get anywhere to shoot or practice. Living in a college dorm that forbids firearms. Living in a state or country where owning one is legally difficult or impossible. Ive experienced all those at various times.
When I was younger I didn't want a firearm. I shot a gun for the first time about 6 years ago for a few hours with my sisters friends in Utah. My parents had guns and while they did have them, they kept them out of our reach. We did have one home invasion where my mom shot at the guy as he was fleeing the house because she had the gun pointed at him, she fired 3 times and we never knew if any of those shots hit the target. I never shot my parents guns and my one experience was shooting various guns I didn't even know the names to with people I didn't know well. I took a class a few days ago but, I am still not an experienced gun owner or shooter because that comes with a lot of practice and experience. One time shooting and one class doesn't make me an experienced gun owner. I am still a beginner.

I'm thinking I have to go with Ms @SunShineShan82 I just can't see a large number of people that have no experience with firearms running out and grabbing them now. Every run on gun stores that I've seen in my 11 years has been gun folks, buying more guns. I would LOVE to be wrong. Please let me be wrong! Time will tell.

Another thing, let's say we DO have thousands upon thousands of brand spanking new-to-guns buyers? How many of them will vote for the only presidential candidate out of the TWO who WON'T allow your 2nd Amendments right to be crushed?

I saw newbies getting guns just like me (all men) I was at the gun shop for a while to try to pick the right firearm and I went with a Remington 870 shotgun and took it home that day. I asked the guy who sold me the gun to teach me how to hold it properly too. Two days later I went back and got a s&w 380 EZ ( I got this because I have small hands but I asked to see the GLOCKS first and found that pushing the magazine release button wasn't effective with one hand) and took a basic handgun class that luckily was being held the same day. It was a 4 hour class with one hour of range practice. I am mostly confident that I can shoot it properly if a person is standing still for me, which isn't normally the case but, at least I do have protection if I need it. I get it in 6 days and I can't wait!

As for voting for any particular person, thats up to them and them only.

You show you are in WA if this is where you are trying to buy a hand gun then you are not going to have to worry about hours long wait, like OR. You will be lucky to get the OK after a week now sadly. If you go to buy a simple .22 rifle like a Ruger 10/22 you get a 10 day wait. Since this will of course keep all the criminals from buying guns:s0140:

Some rifles and shotguns are available to take home the same day as you purchase them, handguns and other firearms you need to wait 10 days. If its a semi auto then you need to do that "class" and sign that you did it and still there is a 10 day wait.

Interesting perspective. I am too new to guns etc to have a strong opinion on this but, I don't think the Anti gun people are the ones out there buying guns, its actually in most cases a person who isn't super pro gun or super anti gun.

You'd be surprised. Alyssa Milano comes to mind. Uses her "celebrity" status to preach anti-firearm BS to the masses, yet travels with armed security and even admits she has guns in her house to protect her family. :rolleyes:

You'd be surprised. Alyssa Milano comes to mind. Uses her "celebrity" status to preach anti-firearm BS to the masses, yet travels with armed security and even admits she has guns in her house to protect her family. :rolleyes:

Dianne Feinstein has a CCW permit but doesn't think the general public should when asked about it she all "Nam flashback" over the Moscone/Milk killings. Same excuse as Bloomturd, they are better than the rest of us.

When I was younger I didn't want a firearm. I shot a gun for the first time about 6 years ago for a few hours with my sisters friends in Utah. My parents had guns and while they did have them, they kept them out of our reach. We did have one home invasion where my mom shot at the guy as he was fleeing the house because she had the gun pointed at him, she fired 3 times and we never knew if any of those shots hit the target. I never shot my parents guns and my one experience was shooting various guns I didn't even know the names to with people I didn't know well. I took a class a few days ago but, I am still not an experienced gun owner or shooter because that comes with a lot of practice and experience. One time shooting and one class doesn't make me an experienced gun owner. I am still a beginner.

You know you're a beginner and that you need to learn more. Thats a good start.

Thought I'd mention that it isnt legal for an ordinary citizen to shoot at a bad guy who has ceased attacking and is fleeing. At that point the bad guy is considered no longer a threat. If you shoot him you'll be considered the assailant and will get charged with murder or assault. In ordinary times I would suggest taking a course to get your concealed permit. Such courses include a lot about legal aspects of using a gun in self defense. But such courses may be cancelled for a while. The classic book on the subject is In the Gravest Extreme, by Massad Ayoob. Worth rereading until you know it by heart. Thats a great place to start.

I am mostly confident that I can shoot it properly if a person is standing still for me, which isn't normally the case but,

Actually, that gets you much farther than you might think. If you can hit someone standing still in front of you can also hit someone moving toward you. You dont have to change your point of aim. ( Assuming short distances, such as a person 15 feet or less away and charging you. )And if they are moving in some other direction, you dont need to shoot them. Thats a bit simplistic, but not much. You put yourself between your children and the invader but behind cover so that to get at your kids the bad guy has to come toward you. Cops have to be able to shoot people fleeing in various directions. Ordinary citizens usually dont. In fact, usually cant do so legally.

You know you're a beginner and that you need to learn more. Thats a good start.

Thought I'd mention that it isnt legal for an ordinary citizen to shoot at a bad guy who has ceased attacking and is fleeing. At that point the bad guy is considered no longer a threat. If you shoot him you'll be considered the assailant and will get charged with murder or assault. In ordinary times I would suggest taking a course to get your concealed permit. Such courses include a lot about legal aspects of using a gun in self defense. But such courses may be cancelled for a while. The classic book on the subject is In the Gravest Extreme, by Massad Ayoob. Worth rereading until you know it by heart. Thats a great place to start.

I am aware what my mother did was illegal. I know not to do that. I have been reading up on the federal and local laws. It will take me time to learn it all but, I'll get there.

I am lucky I got that one handgun class in before everything closed down. I will be doing other classes once things open up. For now its research online and go out and shoot for practice.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top