JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've had one shop in Oregon release after the 72hrs. Idaho and Montana every shop I've been to will release after the 72hrs. I've had a pistol on delay since March of this year, it's been very frustrating. I've left dozens of messages and have not received one all back. In the process of getting my chl, appointment is 12/28/21. Hopefully this will solve the delay issue.

If I were an FFL? No way in HELL would I release a gun to anyone I hadn't known personally for many, many years. People have gone to crap in the last 10 years.
Just not worth the risk of legal ramifications (civil lawsuit) if it were released to the wrong person before BGC came back.

Yes. Me, today. I have a CHL and it's usually 10 minutes but today I got put in the que. Lame.
Thank you. My hypothesis that SSN helps has been proven wrong. It's also clear a CHL doesn't mean instant approval either. I give up. I bet the ATF doesn't even know why some clear fast and some get put on the wait list. It's possibly just random.

Thank you. My hypothesis that SSN helps has been proven wrong. It's also clear a CHL doesn't mean instant approval either. I give up. I bet the ATF doesn't even know why some clear fast and some get put on the wait list. It's possibly just random.
The only thing that changed on my end was that I just renewed my CHL right before this. It's been 8 days since I did my BGC and I'm still waiting.

I have a friend who works for OSP who indicates that CHL doesn't mean anything for the background check. He said some counties will allow felons to apply and or have a CHL so they get the application money. The background check can get delayed by something as simple as someone else with the same name getting in trouble with the law and they have to manually determine that you're two different people.

Yes an FFL is required to get a FICS login.

The queue is currently at 4,585 in line.
Thanks! I just had a BGC approved instantly when a couple of rifles I ordered through AFS came in. For reference since there is a lot of speculation:
  • My DL is also a real ID
  • I provided my CPL
  • I filled in the SSN
  • I have a mid grade security clearance, but have had letter grade clearances in the past.
Not sure if any/all of those were a factor or if I just got lucky. I expected to wait at least a few days. Steve did mention that sometimes a CPL would jump people to the head of the line.

Just curious, but would a 4,585 be a 2 week wait?
Had a coworkers husband get told that there was a new 2 week waiting period for the background check...
He does not have a CHL... so that might be why?
My background checks go through pretty quickly, but then I have a CHL....

Had a coworkers husband get told that there was a new 2 week waiting period for the background check...
Good question. I think if those who have quick/instant approval provided details we could see what we have in common. I truly expected a lengthy delay based on threads like this one.

Yep we're seeing about a 2 week turnaround currently, but with how quickly the queue is rising I wouldn't be surprised if it's closer to ~2.5/3 weeks soon.

Good question. I think if those who have quick/instant approval provided details we could see what we have in common. I truly expected a lengthy delay based on threads like this one.
For instant approvals I have honestly never been able to figure out what triggers them, but I believe having a unique name and possibly no record of any kind most likely helps.
One would think that jobs requiring BGCs (healthcare, education, etc.) might help but we constantly have MIL/LE clients go into the queue. At the same time we've also had people with the most generic names/backgrounds get instant approvals.
Occasionally we've also had regulars who usually get instant's occasionally go into the queue, just like it sometimes happens to CHL holders.

I know there is another person in Oregon with my name but otherwise pretty unique. I have a CHL and they are always 10 minutes until this last one. I did however just get my license renewed right before that BGC. That shouldn't change anything but it was the only thing that changed for me.

Yep we're seeing about a 2 week turnaround currently, but with how quickly the queue is rising I wouldn't be surprised if it's closer to ~2.5/3 weeks soon.

For instant approvals I have honestly never been able to figure out what triggers them, but I believe having a unique name and possibly no record of any kind most likely helps.
One would think that jobs requiring BGCs (healthcare, education, etc.) might help but we constantly have MIL/LE clients go into the queue. At the same time we've also had people with the most generic names/backgrounds get instant approvals.
Occasionally we've also had regulars who usually get instant's occasionally go into the queue, just like it sometimes happens to CHL holders.
Thank you for the reply... the places told the husband that it was a policy of Oregon for the two week wait, but I am thinking there was something lost in translation...

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top