JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Then explain to me why I had to wait over a week for the handgun I bought in August? At that time I started at something around #2500.

-E-

Back in December 2019 along about the time the petition to recall the Governor the link from DMV records to CHL holders was "turned off" in the way OSP conducts background checks. Retaliation for the recall petition maybe? I dunno?

On August 21 2020 (a Friday) the aforementioned "link" was turned back on so CHL holders went back to the front of the queue. Maybe to help alleviate the massive back log of background checks in the OSP queue.

So if your background check was submitted before August 21 2020 and you had a valid CHL weather you used it for identification purposes or not, if you were not an instant pass, you got put at the end of the line.

IT IS VERY OBVIOUS THAT OSP CAN TURN THIS "LINK" ON AND OFF AT WILL OR AT THE DIRECTION OF SOMEONE IN COMMAND (LIKE THE GOVERNOR).

Back in December 2019 along about the time the petition to recall the Governor the link from DMV records to CHL holders was "turned off" in the way OSP conducts background checks. Retaliation for the recall petition maybe? I dunno?

On August 21 2020 (a Friday) the aforementioned "link" was turned back on so CHL holders went back to the front of the queue. Maybe to help alleviate the massive back log of background checks in the OSP queue.

So if your background check was submitted before August 21 2020 and you had a valid CHL weather you used it for identification purposes or not, if you were not an instant pass, you got put at the end of the line.

IT IS VERY OBVIOUS THAT OSP CAN TURN THIS "LINK" ON AND OFF AT WILL OR AT THE DIRECTION OF SOMEONE IN COMMAND (LIKE THE GOVERNOR).
I can tell you have never worked in the IT field from this comment, there may be a on/off switch but that is not the only reason things dont always go according to plan.

Then explain to me why I had to wait over a week for the handgun I bought in August? At that time I started at something around #2500.

-E-

They disconnected it at the start of the pandemic. I remember buying a firearm with just using my CHL. Waited 2 days then OSP cancelled my background check because they couldn't verify my ID.

I am thinking what the heck.

Submitted again with my OR DL and it went through in another two days.

All other background checks I did took days, up until a couple weeks ago when I started seeing CHL holders get bumped to the front. That is when I went on buying spree and kept getting instant or within 5 minute approvals.

I can tell you have never worked in the IT field from this comment, there may be a on/off switch but that is not the only reason things dont always go according to plan.

You are correct, I don't and have never worked in the IT field.
Only relaying information and theory gleaned from running several thousand background checks during this period of time.
My tinfoil hat might be a little tight, I have a hard time with some coincidences I guess. It is what it is so they say....

You are correct, I don't and have never worked in the IT field.
Only relaying information and theory gleaned from running several thousand background checks during this period of time.
My tinfoil hat might be a little tight, I have a hard time with some coincidences I guess. It is what it is so they say....
I have recently bought a few rifles - the first two took eleven days to clear the back ground check the last two less than thirty minutes each. I was told that CHL tie into the background check was previously turned off but is now working. I am guessing incompetence and poor testing.

I think that it is crap that the system is controlling who gets to buy a firearm based on wether the buyer has a chl. Many wont wait two weeks to bring a firearm home. To me a form of gun control.

I have recently bought a few rifles - the first two took eleven days to clear the back ground check the last two less than thirty minutes each. I was told that CHL tie into the background check was previously turned off but is now working. I am guessing incompetence and poor testing.

I think that it is crap that the system is controlling who gets to buy a firearm based on wether the buyer has a chl. Many wont wait two weeks to bring a firearm home. To me a form of gun control.

I don't believe it has anything to do with incompetence or poor testing, rather control and spite.

I feel for all of you, I have a unique last name and have never waited more than five minutes over tha last twenty plus years. I've purchased six firearms since February and still have gotten the instant approval.

Found out today that the OSP looked into their BGC system and found the algorithms that are supposed to kick the CHLs to the front of the line has been broken for quite some time.
(suprise, suprise) The system was very sporadic, which is why it occasionally seemed to work.
Apparently they spent some time fixing it, and now it reliably works as intended. The fix was done sometime the past couple weeks. The guys and gals at ORW have been seeing pretty much everone with a chl get almost instant approvals the past week or two.

I'm back. Still with odd last name and odder middle name. Met a "person" in a gun store for a buy on my part. Filled out form as they were putting it in the computer and I was approved before I was done with the forms.
The only thing different this time is I now have a FFL (C&R ONLY) license. But in Oregon it means nothing???

Lucked out with an instant approval today. I don't have a CHL and this is only my second handgun purchase in the last 5 years. I was all geared up for a two-week wait and everything.

There is no rhyme or reason to delays right now. Sometimes it's instant, sometimes it's not. Some certified LE officers are being delayed (don't need a CHL). Some CHL owners are being delayed. Some first time gun buyers are being approved instantly. Roll of the dice at best.

And the business of having a unique first and/or last name is bunk. There's not another person in the United States with the same name as me. I've been delayed twice over the last couple of months and had two instant approvals in between. Delayed again just last week.

Last Edited:
Are people getting delayed more now then in the last month in Oregon? Am delayed now with a purchase 2 weeks ago, have another pending in about 5 days, am I apt to get delayed on this as well? Wait time? No cwp, no issues before. Help!

As another data point.
Purchase today, used CHL, went to end of the line ~#4000 and I have an unusual first and last name. Perfectly clean record so no reason for any delay too.

Edit: At BiMart and I gave SS#.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews