JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Bought a gun from a member and it landed at Tigard Pawn today (awesome service from them as usual!).

I am 5,065 in the queue and the FFL says probably October 8, pick up...three weeks!

The FFL thinks it's not the Oregon state processing slowing things down but the federal processing at the database, and because all the government people doing the checks are teleworking from home, slowing the checks down even more.

Not great :confused::eek:

Just bought a complete Aero ThunderRanch edition complete lower A few weeks ago. Had it shipped to a local ffl. Went in and filled out the paperwork and they told me that I will have to wait 2 weeks for the background check. Gggggrrrrr this is infringing on our rights. Exactly what our forefathers didn't want to happen. I should have filled everything out and give my fingerprints. Grabbed the lower and said if anything comes up then you can come take it. I get that we don't want felons walking around armed. But won't a felon get his hands on one no matter what
Good luck out there and stay safe!

I purchased a used rifle yesterday from a LGS. 5000+ in the que and it plugged me in at #4. Out the door 30 minutes later. I DID NOT use my CHL.

-E-

I purchased a used rifle yesterday from a LGS. 5000+ in the que and it plugged me in at #4. Out the door 30 minutes later. I DID NOT use my CHL.

-E-
You don't have to use your CHL card to be an instant. It's because you have it that you will always be bumped to the front of the line and always a instant. If you have a CHL you don't have to wait at least that's what I have been hearing.

I went into Sportsman's Warehouse about three weeks ago for some cleaning stuff, and while there I got to looking at .22LR plinkers and decided to buy a Ruger bolt gun. The guy told me to wait while he submitted the BGC and said it would probably be a week or ten days before it came back. A few minutes later he got a surprised look on his face and said I was number 3 in the queue. 10 minutes later I was approved and walked out with the rifle. Turns out if you have an Oregon CHL you get immediate attention and don't have to wait for the other five thousand people ahead of you to get checked first.

I went into Sportsman's Warehouse about three weeks ago for some cleaning stuff, and while there I got to looking at .22LR plinkers and decided to buy a Ruger bolt gun. The guy told me to wait while he submitted the BGC and said it would probably be a week or ten days before it came back. A few minutes later he got a surprised look on his face and said I was number 3 in the queue. 10 minutes later I was approved and walked out with the rifle. Turns out if you have an Oregon CHL you get immediate attention and don't have to wait for the other five thousand people ahead of you to get checked first.

Kinda lets one draw an inference as to how many of those 5,000 must be first time buyers if having a CHL jumps someone to 3rd place out of several thousand. Now I realize there's not a 1-to-1 correlation between CHL holders and long-time gun owners but still...

Yeah, I know a lot of long time gun owners who don't have CHLs, or did but have let them lapse. But I agree that a huge number of those 5000 (or whatever it is at the moment) are probably first-time (or second-time within the last few months) buyers.

-E-

In other words, you have a CHL, and it put you at the top of the queue, right behind the other CHL buyers. That's how it's supposed to work. They already know you have one.

In other words, you have a CHL, and it put you at the top of the queue, right behind the other CHL buyers. That's how it's supposed to work. They already know you have one.

Then explain to me why I had to wait over a week for the handgun I bought in August? At that time I started at something around #2500.

-E-

That's what the guy told me - that OSP has that information when they're called for a BGC. I hadn't told the salesman I have a CHL, that's why he was surprised at the low queue number. Why it didn't work that way for nehalemguy earlier, I can't say. Maybe their rules or procedures are different for handguns than for long guns.

Last Edited:
Then explain to me why I had to wait over a week for the handgun I bought in August? At that time I started at something around #2500.

-E-

They disconnected the CHL database from the background check system earlier in the year. I don't remember the exact date and it could have been all the way back last year. The important thing is that they turned that functionality back on in late August (which you probably were input prior to) so CHL holders are again put at the front of the queue behind the last CHL holder in that line. So if there are 3 CHL holders at the front and your background check is submitted you will be number 4 in line even if the general queue is 100, 1000, 10,000.

It looks like nehalemguy had the crappy luck to fall on the "it's turned off" period for his purchase. Sorry bud.

You know, that's right. Back in Feb or Apr I had to wait about 3 days. It must not have been working back then. It just got worse and worse as all this crazy current events stuff piled up, and everyone went gun crazy.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads