JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Interesting, I swear I've been told not to even bother presenting it. ODL only so I never even take it out. My BGC is always about 10 minutes.
That's a hell of a lot faster than mine! I have Oregon chl and Utah permits and a lower took 3 weeks. With the SSN attached. Wondering what's going on as I am 3 months waiting for 2 form 1s through atf. That backlogged? Don't they go through same processes? Are atf submissions more scrutinized then the person buying the dangerous part of the firearm? Makes you think.

Oregon CHL brings you to the front of the line and normally only takes 5-10 minutes. The long line is currently 4,025 which is currently about 13 days wait. If you have an Oregon CHL and go into the long line there is a disconnect somewhere. You may have an expired CHL or Oregon DMV or County of your CHL doesn't have you linked correctly (mis-typed driver's license # or CHL #). Also, if you have two last names that can cause a problem (FFL needs to enter two last names with no spaces between names). Have your FFL call up OSP FICS and tell them you have a current valid CHL. They will pull up your background check and take care of it right over the phone.

Oregon CHL brings you to the front of the line and normally only takes 5-10 minutes. The long line is currently 4,025 which is currently about 13 days wait. If you have an Oregon CHL and go into the long line there is a disconnect somewhere. You may have an expired CHL or Oregon DMV or County of your CHL doesn't have you linked correctly (mis-typed driver's license # or CHL #). Also, if you have two last names that can cause a problem (FFL needs to enter two last names with no spaces between names). Have your FFL call up OSP FICS and tell them you have a current valid CHL. They will pull up your background check and take care of it right over the phone.
The big question is, why would someone with no CHL, who is a typical civilian, and should have no special treatment get instant approval? I've seriously been trying to figure this out.

According to many people on this forum I should have a week or longer wait. But some of my BGCs came back approved in under two minutes. Most were 10 minutes. And I've bought way too many guns this year.

I do know this, or at least this is what I was told by an FFL that seemed to know more about BGCs that most; initially the BGC is automated. If the system can't verify your identity you get put on the long wait list.

Something to keep in mind, this is a federal government system that only God know how often it gets updated. It's also very possible the people running it are corrupt and don't want us to have guns in the first place. Food for thought.

Last Edited:
I used to have two FFL's that I relied on, I would alternate buys between them. One always asked for CCL, the other always demanded the ODL. Then the CCL guy went away and about that time the other FFL now asked for the CCL, and they still do.

Instant approvals for Oregon residents, regardless of having a CHL or not, are a result of that individual having a unique name. Being a civilian, having security clearance, etc. is irrelevant. The system is automated correct. It is a state system in Oregon, not Federal (it does of course check the federal databases as well as state databases. Also, whether or not an Oregon FFL uses your Oregon driver's license or CHL is also irrelevant. It is a myth that an Oregon FFL must use your CHL to get you bumped to the front of the line. Your Oregon driver's license and CHL are link unless there is an issue likely due to mis-keyed information (which can be fixed by a call to Oregon DMV or County CHL depending on where the disconnect is).

As far as the folks running the Oregon system being corrupt, there may be some truth to that. Those that do not have a unique name and are not instantly approved are reviewed by an actual person. These people must follow sometimes arbitrary rules that OSP creates without any legislative authority. Recently they, OSP, decided to require, more often than in the past, faxed or emailed thumbprints which added an additional delay of up to an hour because they are sent to a different department for verification. After this happened I contacted every single Republican state legislature making them aware of the situation. Many of them then contacted OSP. Since then the additional fingerprint requirement has gone away back to normal.

Question to everyone, have you ever put your SSN (and know the FFL entered it), know that all your info was accurate and current, and still got put in the que, having to wait weeks?
Yes. For me it's my name. Long before covid, I got put on a delay. There are at least 3 Brandon's in the Salem area with my last name, same spelling too.

Question to everyone, have you ever put your SSN (and know the FFL entered it), know that all your info was accurate and current, and still got put in the que, having to wait weeks?
I honestly don't know if I have or not, every time I do one the FFL has highlighted the boxes I'm required to fill out, and I just do the blind sheep thing and fill them out. I have my SSN and ODL number memorized so its automatic if I have to enter either of these numbers.

I did the one back on 10-27-21 for Beretta 1301 tactical and I'm still waiting on it to clear. I'll pay attention next time and see if he has highlighted the ssn box or not.

And even if he hasn't I'll go ahead and throw it in there.

Never. Well, at least in the years I've been buy guns. Ten years now. I have an unusual last name and use my CHL for ID since the RONA came along.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top