JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am on day 8 of waiting for my handgun. From what I remember, the guy doing the background check said I was number 37 or something. Seems like a bit long of a wait if I was only 37 spots back. What is the longest you have to wait? Is it 10 days?

Is it possible your FFL meant to say 3700
I am on day 8 of waiting for my handgun. From what I remember, the guy doing the background check said I was number 37 or something. Seems like a bit long of a wait if I was only 37 spots back. What is the longest you have to wait? Is it 10 days?

Last Edited:
Is it possible your FFL meant to say 3700
Is it possible that your FFL meant to say 3700?
I think this was most likely the case, and I just misunderstood him. It looks like I'm in the 600s now.

How many background checks are OSP capable of doing each day?

On a side note: how is this not done instantaneously? How does the process work? I would assume there is an algorithm that can see the red flags on peoples records, and let you know if you're eligible or not. Maybe I'm wrong about that though?

it seems like they are completing around 350/day

On a side note: how is this not done instantaneously? How does the process work? I would assume there is an algorithm that can see the red flags on peoples records, and let you know if you're eligible or not. Maybe I'm wrong about that though?
Oregon decided that rather than relying on NICS, National Instant Criminal Background Check System, they employ the State police to double check the system. In reality, it's likely a landfill pusher admin doing the work. So what was intended to be instant, is now caught up in red tape.

*"landfill pusher" was supposed to be "pencil pusher", but I think I prefer my typo

Last Edited:
Oregon decided that rather than relying on NICS, National Instant Criminal Background Check System, they employ the State police to double check the system. In reality, it's likely a landfill pusher admin doing the work. So what was intended to be instant, is now caught up in red tape.

*"landfill pusher" was supposed to be "pencil pusher", but I think I prefer my typo
They claim it is to check for stolen guns.

In truth, it is so they can collect make/model/serial # and buyer for?

Confiscation.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top