JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Feel like you're breaking the law. I bet you did! I say that feeling is a form of PTSD. Gives me the shivers just thinking about living in California. I imagine there are still some great places, out way away from the cities. But you still have the repressive laws you have to follow if you don't want to risk hell-to-pay.
Why not? Seems that criminals have more rights than citizens down there... ;)

Feel like you're breaking the law. I bet you did! I say that feeling is a form of PTSD. Gives me the shivers just thinking about living in California. I imagine there are still some great places, out way away from the cities. But you still have the repressive laws you have to follow if you don't want to risk hell-to-pay.
Ya, California is just terrible in many aspects. The gun laws have gotten so bad that we are actually winning 2A cases down there. Blatant infringement on our rights.

I think the only good thing about California is the outdoors, way away from the cities. The politics are garbage, people are rude AF, it's way to expensive, but the Sierra Nevada's are beautiful.

And no, I didn't break any laws buying guns here in Portland, lol. In reality, the CA government breaks the law every time they force an FFL to hold law abiding citizens firearms for 10 days and then won't allow them to buy another for 30 days. That's very illegal IMO.

I will stop, I could go on and on about my disdain for that state. I just wish I moved sooner. And all this coming from a mostly liberal person. (Not a Democrat, don't you dare call me a Democrat because that I am not. Biden and his GF can suck it).

Sorry, got off track a bit. Lol.

And no, I didn't break any laws buying guns here in Portland, lol.
Oh no, I'm sure you didn't. But can understand how it would feel like it. That's why I believe these politicians are causing a mild form of PTSD. I'm watching my hood go to complete crap. Large, important parts, of portland are turning to crap. It hurts to see the homeless camps, knowing you get put on hold if you need the police, watching people break the law without recourse. It affects a person. Wifey has it worse. She is middle management at a local grocery chain and has to stand there while product walks out the door. She deals pretty much daily with employees that don't show up for work, steal time, and steel from the store.

The current Q (wait list) number is 1973 as of 7/19/2021 @ 8:13 PM.
Oregon State police has been very slow the last few days. Approving approx. 230 people a day. Unfortunately.
Ya, I actually bought two guns and the second was not cleared from a previous Background Check, apparently it didn't get processed before the time line ran out and the person decided not to buy instead of getting put back in the que. Now that is some BS.

I am pretty sure they can cross-reference. A few months ago I made a purchase from an FFL that refused to take a CHL as ID and insisted on a driver's license, but approval was instantaneous anyways.
Weird because it's a government issued photo ID with addresses so it should be acceptable. I remember a time when I totally forgot my DL and needed to present an ID for a reason I forget and the clerk suggested I show my CHL. They recognized the portion they could see in my wallet. Had a friend who likes to be different use his on many occasions just because he can. I don't know why your FFL was being difficult

Weird because it's a government issued photo ID with addresses so it should be acceptable. I remember a time when I totally forgot my DL and needed to present an ID for a reason I forget and the clerk suggested I show my CHL. They recognized the portion they could see in my wallet. Had a friend who likes to be different use his on many occasions just because he can. I don't know why your FFL was being difficult
This wasn't my usual FFL, it was just a shop that happened to have something rather rare (not made or imported anymore) and at an excellent price so I had no choice but to play ball. In any case, their supposed reasoning was that the state police told them not take CHL's and I didn't feel like arguing.

Ya, I actually bought two guns and the second was not cleared from a previous Background Check, apparently it didn't get processed before the time line ran out and the person decided not to buy instead of getting put back in the que. Now that is some BS.
After a little more thought, I think it was the gun that held up my BGC and not my personal info. I wonder how many other people had the same issue.

Got a gun July 31st. Called ahead days before to make sure they had what i was looking for. Was waiting outside the shop right when they opened. Walked in, told them exactly what I wanted. Was doing the "paperwork" on the laptop 10 mins later. When done they said i was 3rd on the queue and it would be about 30mins probably. In around 50 mins of walking in I walked out with my gun. Used my drivers license. I didn't even know people tried using a chl as a way to potentially speed the process up. Never used mine.

Went down to my local sportsmans today as they had 2 models of the gun I wanted in stock so I could look at both side by side. Told the guy to ring me up for one. After doing the info in the tablet he was entering the stuff on his computer and asked when the last time I got a gun was. Told him 2 weeks ago. He asked how long it took and I told him 30mins maybe. He was shocked but then asked if I had a chl. I told him yes and he said yeah that usually bumps people up. 2 mins later he told me in front of other customers I was first up in the queue...lol... I honestly spent more time in the bathroom there getting rid of the tacos that didn't agree with me than waiting for my gun. Just in some small talk with him I told him the only time I ever had to wait "long" was years ago, there just so happened to be like 1800 in the queue ahead of me and I waited like 6hrs. That was also before I had my chl. he said there is like 2,200 in line right now. He said some people are waiting 10days. Oh and I handed him my drivers license. Im still perplexed why anyone would hand someone their chl as ID....if osp is doing the check they are gona know if you have one anyways. I think what helps speed it up for me aside from the chl is I give all info and leave nothing blank on the form. Full middle name, social, everything. I dont recall what info you can leave off the form but if they are trying to verify who you are the more you give them the faster it should be.

Went down to my local sportsmans today as they had 2 models of the gun I wanted in stock so I could look at both side by side. Told the guy to ring me up for one. After doing the info in the tablet he was entering the stuff on his computer and asked when the last time I got a gun was. Told him 2 weeks ago. He asked how long it took and I told him 30mins maybe. He was shocked but then asked if I had a chl. I told him yes and he said yeah that usually bumps people up. 2 mins later he told me in front of other customers I was first up in the queue...lol... I honestly spent more time in the bathroom there getting rid of the tacos that didn't agree with me than waiting for my gun. Just in some small talk with him I told him the only time I ever had to wait "long" was years ago, there just so happened to be like 1800 in the queue ahead of me and I waited like 6hrs. That was also before I had my chl. he said there is like 2,200 in line right now. He said some people are waiting 10days. Oh and I handed him my drivers license. Im still perplexed why anyone would hand someone their chl as ID....if osp is doing the check they are gona know if you have one anyways. I think what helps speed it up for me aside from the chl is I give all info and leave nothing blank on the form. Full middle name, social, everything. I dont recall what info you can leave off the form but if they are trying to verify who you are the more you give them the faster it should be.
I usually offer both and let the FFL do what it thinks best. things change.

Im still perplexed why anyone would hand someone their chl as ID....if osp is doing the check they are gona know if you have one anyways. I think what helps speed it up for me aside from the chl is I give all info and leave nothing blank on the form. Full middle name, social, everything. I dont recall what info you can leave off the form but if they are trying to verify who you are the more you give them the faster it should be.
I try to remember to write my SSN, but lately I have been forgetting. I think (and have been saying) that the reason mine goes thru promptly every time is because I have a unique name, both first and last, but especially my middle name (it is a family name that is totally uncommon), so the combination in addition with the rest of the info there is little chance of me being mistaken for anybody else.

No sure how the system works, but I think all of that helps - along with having bought a gun before and recently too.

OTOH, if your name is John Smith and there are 500 John Smiths in Orygun who have a record, then maybe the BGC has to be done manually or go thru multiple layers? I suppose that the custodians of that info don't want the public to know, especially criminals.

Yeah a real common name would be bad as far as filtering through everyone making sure they got right person. I share my first name with 374,598 people, last name with 95,565 but the combo of first and last with only 107 people in the US so...easy peasy.

Yeah a real common name would be bad as far as filtering through everyone making sure they got right person. I share my first name with 374,598 people, last name with 95,565 but the combo of first and last with only 107 people in the US so...easy peasy.
I am pretty sure there is no one with my first/middle/last name combo anywhere in the world except me. First and last? Maybe a few dozen. First & last and male gender? Maybe one or two; my first name is usually interpreted to be female. My last name is just not very common.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top