JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Pro Tip - Do not even let them see your ODL. I handed mine over the counter a couple of months ago on a purchase, forgetting it was expired. Once logged, he could not back out the expired ID. I was told I needed to come back another day, which I did, ran the CHL and was instantly approved.
I'm always told that they are linked in the OSP system so it does not matter which one you present.

The above needs to be confirmed with OSP.

I haven't had to wait much more than a little bit except on one when the queue was over 6K. That was a fluke but normally I'm out within 30-45 minutes.

Its been 4 + months (Sept 28) since I applied, OSP says they are waiting for California to automate my history. Its been 50 years since I lived there, I do have 2 misdemeanors from back then. Clean record since then and I have CHL and I also paid for my own FBI background check (with fingerprints) and sent that report to OSP. That's how I found out that the 2 misdemeanors were still on my record from 50 years ago. NO RESPONSE! and NO RESPONSE! etc......

I now know the why. In 1981 I was arrested for Driving while suspended and Multnomah co. (most likely circuit court) never put the dispostion of that arrest on my record. And for some unholy reason after maybe 20-25 BGC's and 3 different CHL BGCs this comes up. Cause they can't tell if its a Felony or Misdemeanor.

Just finished talking to my local lawyer and I have emails into the people at Multnomah Circuit Court. OSP when they get time (somewhere around my grand daughters 40th birthday from the looks of it) will also research it. I'm sure not holding my breath.

Was cleared so quickly today I barely had time to browse the shelves at the transfer shop. Was told the line is in the low 7000's. I did use my CHL.
Same experience l had yesterday.
7000 in the queue but my CHL moved me to the #2 spot.
Sometimes it happens that way.

I usually use my ODL but since l moved the addresses don't match. I changed my address with the DMV as prescribed by the local Sheriff's office before changing the CHL. But the DMV no longer sends the address change stickers so, apparently, they will NEVER match.

Last Edited:
I typically take longer on the BGC. Looked up my name and there are a lot of same names people who are career bubblegum ups. Did a BGC 2 weeks ago on Tuesday and was told I was 8,500 using my DL. Called a week later to check and was 4,500. This coming Tuesday will be 3 weeks. I'm trying to check on my status but with this snow the pawn shop who is doing my transfer has been closed. When most portlanders can't handle driving in an inch of snow why open shop just to sit there.

For some reason got put in the queue and got told it would be about 3 weeks...got cleared quicker when I lived in CA buying my first gun. Zero issues legally in my background but am a somewhat new resident so not sure if that has anything to do with it.

For some reason got put in the queue and got told it would be about 3 weeks...got cleared quicker when I lived in CA buying my first gun. Zero issues legally in my background but am a somewhat new resident so not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Pretty much the norm now. If you don't have a CHL, you go to the back of the line. I think the que is over 7000 now.

I've purchased two firearms in the past month. Both shops said the wait time was "at least three weeks"

I used my CHL as my ID and was #1 and #4 on the list. Never waited longer than 15 minutes.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top