JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hi all,

I'm wondering if someone can shed some light on how private transfers work in light of the current background check waiting list in Oregon? I'm arranging a private sale of a rifle from a fellow who lives in a different city, and I'd prefer not for one of us to drive several hours just to find out there's a three week waiting list and we can't do the transfer that day. For context, I'm in the Beaverton, Oregon area and all my BCGs have been approved instantly to date.

Thanks!!

I recomend calling a ffl and seing how long the que list is if its under about 400 It should be a one day deal if you get an early start , the ques have been way way up but i heard they have droped to a regular level the last few days.

Hi all,

I'm wondering if someone can shed some light on how private transfers work in light of the current background check waiting list in Oregon? I'm arranging a private sale of a rifle from a fellow who lives in a different city, and I'd prefer not for one of us to drive several hours just to find out there's a three week waiting list and we can't do the transfer that day. For context, I'm in the Beaverton, Oregon area and all my BCGs have been approved instantly to date.

Thanks!!
You can do the transfer regardless of wait time. I would suggest seller meet closer to buyer since buyer will likely have to visit FFL twice.

Some FFL's will hold a gun for a private sale while the bgc is pending so the seller does not have to be present a second time. Locally, I know Tigard Pawn 4 More and Money Market Pawn in SE Portland will hold the guns for you. Some places will make both parties come back, like A Cut Above Pawn in Aloha/Beaverton...although they are a great group of folks!

I have found that having the seller mail the gun to the buyer's local FFL (on buyer's dime of course) works very well for minimal expense.

The only waiting is for the buyer who has a short second drive when OSP gets around to approving the transaction.

Have done at least a dozen smooth deals this way, mostly here and mostly as buyer.

Particularly handy solution for those of us who live outside metro area.

Just did one yesterday as the buyer. Drove to Corvallis 1:30 drive for me. 10:30 AM Tick Licker, Grabbed a new 7" 686+, .357 in stainless they had in the case to double up on the BGC for the privet transfer. Insta cleared in under a minute two pistols cleared in under a min, was a very good day. Seams like its hovering in the 200's right now.

I bought a Glock 19 back in June and instantly cleared. I bought 2 ar15 stripped lowers and cleared instantly again yesterday. But a few people ahead of me had about 150 people ahead of them. Not sure why I'm so lucky

My wife bought a rife yesterday. She usually has instant approval. For the first time in a whole lot of years she was put into the queue (246), so not sure what is going on with that.

GF filled out paperwork Saturday for her new pistol. They told her if she'd had her middle name in full on her driver license, instead of just the initial, she would have walked out with it right then. As it is, she can pick it up Monday. Scratching my head, the shotty I bought at Cabelas had me in queue for a week, 4500 people... her transaction was at our small, local pawn shop.

Seems to be largely due to numbers of people buying arms, complicated by staffing issues to process the checks,
caused by the plague.

Submitted thumb* prints and bgc app on Saturday at 1pm. I was roughly #275 in the que.

by 4:20 pm I got the call that it had cleared. (Picked up same day, 3 hours and 20 min from start to finish)

I'm a happy camper!! F06EEEBD-5BD7-4B83-B488-3C008A6A2D32.jpeg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews