Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Wait period for buying multiple firearms?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by sigboi, Jan 2, 2012.

1. sigboi

sigboi Seattle Active Member

Hey everyone, just joined the community. I went to cabela's on the 19th of december to purchase two sig sauer sp2022's in 9mm. I did not have my cpl at that point, and the staff told me that it should only take 5 days to process the background checks, etc. After christmas, I called them, and they said that it was still processing, and they'll call me. On that friday, the 30th, I called them, and now the person on the phone said that the ATF has up to 30 days to process my request? I'm new to the laws and everything. It has been 2 weeks now since I ordered the sigs, has anyone heard of anything like this or know anything about the processes? Thanks

Also, I got my cpl shortly after ordering the sigs, and called cabelas to see if there was anyway to replace the background checks with a cpl purchase, and they said no.

Anyway, thanks for reading!

2. iamme

iamme Lane County Well-Known Member

So was background check done and came back as pending or???

Oregon FFL's, may be national also, but in OR FFL's MUST hold the gun for 3 or 5 days (its early) on a pending. After that they can CHOOSE to release the gun if no reply, but most won't do so until they get an all clear.

3. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

I went to a store just before Christmas ,without time for the paper work,layed away a revolver,came back to pick it up and found another one to buy.
    I left the store with both that day.
    I have heard or read on here about stories like yours from Cabella's. I found a rifle there yesterday but with 17000 people at the counter,I wasn't that interested.

4. sigboi

Thanks for the replies. The guy said that they were still processing and waiting for the ATF to get back to them. I googled and found out that if you buy multiple guns within 5 days the seller has to fill out an additional form and it could take longer.

5. iamme

I've transferred well over that, I'd try to get a straight answer on what the hold up is. There's no processing- either your PENDING, DENIED, or APPROVED.

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  6. mjbskwim

I think it's corporate BS from Cabella's and some other big chains.I think I read it on here that a box store wouldn't release a gun even though the wait period was up.Had to have that call back

7. Rascals

Rascals Portland Or Active Member

CAll corporate and find out whats going on.

8. iamme

I still wanna know what happened when you were there. They run the paperwork while you're there- if you get a denial you also alot of times get a free ride out of the deal. That's why the buyer has to be there when ran. They don't just put a pile of 4473's in someone's box to process as they get to it.

9. oa98pistol512

oa98pistol512 salem area Member

When I bought my first hand gun in Oregon their was a two week wait period. I feel old.

nwo and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Matt Selders

Matt Selders Vancouver, Washington Member

You will find that most chains will not release a firearm without a "proceed" from NICS, even though it says that they may release the firearm if no resolution is reached within 3 business days. Chain stores err on the side of caution and play it safe, preffereing to wait until a resolution is reached. The form is valid for 30 days after the initial NICS call is placed. The store can call and get a status from NICS during business hours. Multiple Handgun purchase forms are required if you have purchased more than one handgun from an individual FFL within a 5 day period, but not neccesarily mean that you will get delayed and the same local laws will apply to all hangun purchases.

11. mjbskwim

Well the FFL must fill out any 'multiple handgun purchase forms' cause I didn't fill anything out other than the regular papers.
    And I didn't see him filling out any thing extra.

12. sigboi

Update, Cabela's called me a little while ago and said that I can come pick up my sigs. No explanation, no apologies, and he says I have to bring in my cpl to pick up the guns. I'm going to head down and see what they say.

13. Matt Selders

Matt Selders Vancouver, Washington Member

The FFL holder is responsible to fill the Multiple Hangun form out and send it in to the proper agencies.

14. ronin223

ronin223 Portland Active Member

Fisherman Marine also has the same 5 day policies FYI

15. FORKLIFT252

FORKLIFT252 Oregon Active Member

I don't like the idea that 2weeks later "now you can pick up your guns."
    And " Oh,bring your chl with you. "

How about I waited 2weeks here is my DL and payment.
    I mean really. ....it's like saying you can't bye 2 guns with out a chl. ...

16. kev1

kev1 seabeck,wa Member

I would have had to really like those two guns to wait that long. I prefer buying at my smaller local gun store.

17. sigboi

This is my first firearm purchase so I'll admit being a newb on this. I only bought at cabelas because they had a great deal on the sp2022, $369, and I couldnt find any other stores that were less than $450, so I figured I'd drive down and save $160 on two. It was very busy at work for me the last 2 weeks so I didn't miss having them that much, but I'm still frustrated about the whole thing, especially after going with a coworker to the lgs today and coming out 20min later with a new Glock 23!

18. FORKLIFT252

FORKLIFT252 Oregon Active Member

I got the sp2022 in the 40...I love it...I two would like a second one.
    Now that You mentioned it. ...my first gun was a shoty and it took a week of "pending"

19. gearchecker

gearchecker Kootenai County, Idaho Member

I feel for you coasties. Over here, I walk in and walk out with whatever I want to buy. Even at Cabela's I'm usually in and out in just short of an hour. Twice I've been in and out in less tha 1/2 hour.
    Granted my CWL helps, but it's still Cabela's, and their stupid rules and hoops they have all the sales people jumping thru makes it miserable for all of us.

I've bought handguns over my 30 minute lunch break at my favorite LGS, and been back to work on time, and that was before I had my CWL here.
    It's not going to get any easier either. Let's see what falls out when they get done with Holder in the next few weeks.

Regards,
    Gearchecker

20. iamme

I've bought more than one gun from Cabelas here. Sometimes there's a short wait to get paperwork or gun picked up if they're busy- but usually in and out in 15-30 mins.