JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In the market for a 336, specifically in 30/30.
Been holding out for a few years with the promise that Ruger will (re)produce them.
Always the same story though. "Just a couple more months"
The opportunity just came up on a private transfer of a decent, ordinary Marlin JM marked, but with the crossbolt safety.
Already have a few 30/30s including a pre-safety 336.
Was hoping for a Ruger 336 to round out my collection of Winchester, Rossi, Marlin, and Henry.
Wait for the Ruger 336 some more, or give in to my impulse and get the Marlin?

I might be the wrong guy to ask...:D

If I had a pre-safety 336 in .30-30....I wouldn't want any 336 with a dumb azz safety....to be blunt.

If , however , the Marlin in question was in good shape...I might consider getting it for trade bait / re-sale if the price was right.
JM marked Mariln 336's are a excellent little rifles and going up in value , safety or no safety.
Andy

Technically the only thing 'Ruger' about the 'new' Marlins is the fact they are made by Ruger however if you feel the need to have one then you will have to wait.

Personally if I were in the market for a Marlin I would not concern myself with needing a Ruger made one to 'round out my collection' and would buy the available Marlin regardless of the crossbolt.

With safety, $600 or less. Unless it's something cool like a youth, a straight grip stock , a factory laminate, or similar less common variant.
$500. Hardly used, has several safe dings, nothing bad. Stamped checkered. Still has the front sight hood. No scope, stock sights, 1" leather sling.
It's an ordinary typical 336 from the mid 1980s.
Coworker had it since new, probably paid $200 for it.
Said he brought it at BiMart for hunting, sighted it in, and used something else.

Technically the only thing 'Ruger' about the 'new' Marlins is the fact they are made by Ruger.
Internet rumor (for what it's worth) says the Ruger 336s will have hammer forged barrels with standard rifling.
I do reload, and internet rumor also states that lead bullets skip past microgroove barrels making for bad accuracy and leaded bores.
Probably not true, as I've reloaded lead gas-checked into my 444 with no issues, but haven't tried it on 30/30

$500. Hardly used, has several safe dings, nothing bad. Stamped checkered. Still has the front sight hood. No scope, stock sights, 1" leather sling.
It's an ordinary typical 336 from the mid 1980s.
Coworker had it since new, probably paid $200 for it.
Said he brought it at BiMart for hunting, sighted it in, and used something else.
Sounds like it would be a buy at that price. As mentioned if they hit with one later you like better that one is still going to be nice for swap, or sale later.

In the market for a 336, specifically in 30/30.
Been holding out for a few years with the promise that Ruger will (re)produce them.
Always the same story though. "Just a couple more months"
The opportunity just came up on a private transfer of a decent, ordinary Marlin JM marked, but with the crossbolt safety.
Already have a few 30/30s including a pre-safety 336.
Was hoping for a Ruger 336 to round out my collection of Winchester, Rossi, Marlin, and Henry.
I love lever actions. I used to have a small caliber smooth bore but gave it away. Now I want another and considering a Marlin. Which make model is your favorite and recommendation fora guy that could only afford just one and a budget of $750?

I love lever actions. I used to have a small caliber smooth bore but gave it away. Now I want another and considering a Marlin. Which make model is your favorite and recommendation fora guy that could only afford just one and a budget of $750?
I like Marlins.
Every other brand out there is a variation of the Winchester design. While the Winchester design balances and carries better, the Marlin design is superior in that only one screw is removed, and the whole rifle can be stripped to its components. Making cleaning much easier.
Marlins also use a round bolt, and have a closed-top receiver. Making for a stronger rifle and an easier platform for scope mounting.

I might be the wrong guy to ask...:D

If I had a pre-safety 336 in .30-30....I wouldn't want any 336 with a dumb azz safety....to be blunt.

If , however , the Marlin in question was in good shape...I might consider getting it for trade bait / re-sale if the price was right.
JM marked Mariln 336's are a excellent little rifles and going up in value , safety or no safety.
Andy

ANDY!! :eek:

Language!! o_O

WTF?! :D

:s0140:

Some things or actions simply deserve strong and or "Infantry Language"....:D
Mechanical safeties on a lever action rifles , just beg for it.
They are an excellent case of a "solution " in search of a problem.
Andy
The halfkock and 2 piece firing pin worked just fine for 100 years.
As for "lawyer proofing", too bad Marlin didn't go with the tang safety like Winchester did.

Some things or actions simply deserve strong and or "Infantry Language"....:D
Mechanical safeties on a lever action rifles , just beg for it.
They are an excellent case of a "solution " in search of a problem.
Andy
It's so weird…. I have no less than FIVE mechanical safeties on each hand (plus ten more if I go barefoot) and have never had an issue with any gun.