JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I like Marlins.
Every other brand out there is a variation of the Winchester design. While the Winchester design balances and carries better, the Marlin design is superior in that only one screw is removed, and the whole rifle can be stripped to its components. Making cleaning much easier.
Marlins also use a round bolt, and have a closed-top receiver. Making for a stronger rifle and an easier platform for scope mounting.
That concurs with my earlier research and come to find out my dad purchased a lever before he died that he was in love with that my older brother held onto. It's a stainless 336? Marlin

Guess I'll delete this thread after a couple of days.
Asked the forum for advice, and ignored all of you. Sorry...

Guy who was going to sell his 336 to me ended up giving it to his (adult) son. No hard feelings, as I've done the exact same thing.

But a good thing happened the next day; last Thursday.

I'm on a bunch of notify lists, and the nearest Sportsmans Warehouse got in a single Henry X in 30-30. I got notified, got off work early, and drove 40 miles and purchased it.

So it all turned out well.🙂

Last Edited:

Guy who was going to sell his 336 to me ended up giving it to his (adult) son. No hard feelings, as I've done the exact same thing.

I'm on a bunch of notify lists, and the nearest Sportsmans Warehouse got in a single Henry X in 30-30. I got notified, got off work early, and drove 40 miles and purchased it.

I love Henry but not familiar with the X

On the bright side the Marlin 336 is Back !

I certainly wouldn't let a crossbolt safety prevent a purchase. Although I agree it is an unnecessary accoutrement on a lever gun, it has not got my panties all wadded up. Several outfits make a replacement part to delete on this evil laundry binding feature. :D

Just my $0.02.

I've lived long enough to see real Marlins, Remlins and now the Ruglins. Many of the popular real Marlins can still be found 2nd hand (Pawn Shops and through some classifieds). ME.....I'd stick to the REAL STUFF (as long as they are still available at a reasonable price). I figure, that they will probably be more "collectable and desirable" in the near future. Then again......if/when I leave this earth.......maybe my heir will appreciate them (or not). But, at least I KNOW, that I did.

Anyway (if there is a lesson here)......
I bought 2nd Gen Colt SAA revolvers in the 80's.......and YES, I shoot them. But then the "clones" just didn't make me happy for a variety of reasons. The pair of Ruger Vaqueros being the exception (to my SAA fun).

Aloha, Mark

I would love to have a Marlin 336 in 35 Remington. I had a 30-30 at one time and sold it. It was a beater, nothing to write home about. That being said, I see the "Ruger" Marlins are going for over a Grand MSRP. I don't need (or want) a lever gun that bad.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top