JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It might depend on what you intend to hunt with it. I have owned both calibers and found the both good for deer. I've always preferred a 7MM Mag for Elk, but that's just me. Browning makes excellent firearms.

Every time I've got impatient waiting for a gun and bought some other gun I've regretted it. And the fact that the .270 is new means you'll lose more if you want to sell it after the .308 shows up right after you buy the .270. Which it probably will, just like it is more likely to rain after you wash your car.

Whether the .270 could meet your needs as well as the .308 isn't the point. Its clear you really would prefer the .308. Figuring out just what you want and getting exactly that is part of the buying pleasure and joy in ownership.

Last Edited:
Not in my opinion. The .270 is a necked down 30.06. It shoots a bit flatter and has about the same energy. It's a matter of personal choice. My experience may not be yours.
That my problem. I havent shot either before.
My experience is limited & Im new to hunting. Mostly just target shots and rattlesnakes. I've shot (rifles) 30-06 & .22. That 30 bastard kicked. I cant imagine the .270 or .308 being worse. The .22 aint sh*t.

Every time I've got impatient waiting for a gun and bought some other gun I've regretted it. And the fact that the .270 is new means you'll lose more if you want to sell it after the .308 shows up right after you buy the .270. Which it probably will, just like it is more likely to rain after you wash your car.
What Ive been hearing is they are both so interchangeable, I probably wouldnt end up selling whichever I get.
Im 6'2" 225, in good shape- so I can handle whatever gets thrown at me, work with it & appreciate it.
I wont be selling a Browning BAR Safari.

I'm not sure that I can. Perhaps a definition of "short" action is in order?
Don't know enough about the BAR action to say whether or not the bolt length and travel are the same for either cartridge, but it really doesn't matter.
The BAR was originally designed for the 30-06 cartridge, and unless they've modified the feed system much, I'd speculate it does very well with either 30-06 or 270.
That 30 bastard kicked. I cant imagine the .270 or .308 being worse.
270 will kick almost as bad, the 308 less so. It will be a minor, but noticeable difference.
At 6'2", it is also a valid question -- did the '06 you shot fit you? If a gun doesn't fit you properly (good cheek weld, proper length of pull, etc), the perceived recoil could be much worse than a gun that has the same kinetic recoil but fits better.

If it were my wallet, I'd get the 270, and in 308 I'd look at a Ruger Gunsite Scout, though that's not semi-auto.

I see you're in Commiefornia. Do long guns also have to be listed on some farking roster?

Don't know enough about the BAR action to say whether or not the bolt length and travel are the same for either cartridge, but it really doesn't matter.
The BAR was originally designed for the 30-06 cartridge, and unless they've modified the feed system much, I'd speculate it does very well with either 30-06 or 270.

270 will kick almost as bad, the 308 less so. It will be a minor, but noticeable difference.
At 6'2", it is also a valid question -- did the '06 you shot fit you? If a gun doesn't fit you properly (good cheek weld, proper length of pull, etc), the perceived recoil could be much worse than a gun that has the same kinetic recoil but fits better.
The Seiga 30-06 felt good
If it were my wallet, I'd get the 270.

I see you're in Commiefornia. Do long guns also have to be listed on some farking roster?
Ok thanks.
Unfortunately yes. Worst part of it too...Bay Area.
No roster like the handgun roster, but I believe all long guns must be registered as of 2014

Either caliber is a good choice for big game in North America.

With that said...
Which caliber is more available to find / buy where you live...?
That may be a deciding factor.

Which rifle did you like better....?
The Browning BAR is a quality rifle..so either should work well for you.
Andy

I had a BAR once, in 06. That was many years ago. Two things caused me to get rid of it. I found that
during a hunt I pulled the trigger too often and too fast, and that was my issue. I only shot factory
ammo ( before I reloaded) and Remington was the only ammo that reliably fed the second round.
There was likely an issue with the gun that I never had a gunsmith look at. I sold it and went nuts
in the opposite direction. I got a Ruger #1 and hunted with a single shot the next two seasons.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top