JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I decided ,for some reason,to buy the high dollar Redding dies. Comes with the full lenght sizing dies,neck sizing and then the micrometer seating dies. So I decap and full length size all my 7mm brass and then try to mock uo one for COAL for my gun.
The first one the bolt didn't close so of course I set it in a little. Same thing happens but the case wont come out. Pop it with the cleaning rod and no bullet. It went into the case,the dies didn't crimp the case.
So don't these high dollar dies crimp the case? I haven't reloaded for a few years and maybe I forgot everything? I set the dies up as per instructions (don't tell anyone I read the instructions:confused:)
I think I need to buy the bushings?
http://redding-reloading.com/index....=article&Itemid=15&id=118:type-s-bushing-dies

Sorry, but you will need to buy a crimp die. The competition seating dies don't come with a built in crimp. Also, if your sizing die is an s / bushing type, then yes you will need to buy bushings. What part number is on the box?

After doing a ton of reading, I would recommend that you pick up a FL Redding sizing die and a body die. If no one here has them, check eBay, There is a FL set on eBay for $20 right now. You will use the FL die to create a few test / reference rounds. These reference rounds will be measured to aid in selecting bushings, etc.

Reloading order after your dies are setup would be.

*Body - they are reamed to chamber size. Used to bump shoulder back only
Neck die - with correct bushing for desired neck tension
Seating die - setup correctly.
Crimp - optional. Should not need for most applications. Maybe on your hunting rounds, depends on rifle.

This assumes you have chosen not to do neck turning.

If you're full length sizing them, they should have plenty of grip.. not many people crimp whatsoever most all bottleneck rifle cartridges.. but you were trying to set up a dummy to find headspace?

@mjbskwim, I think you know all this already.
It's not that the die crimps the case at all. Your neck bushing will shrink the neck so the ID is smaller than the bullet diameter. After this is done, the ram pulls the case back over the expander ball, guaranteeing the ID of the neck.
Either a neck bushing too loose, or an expander ball too large can cause it to seem like no neck crimping was done. If your neck bushing was too large a diameter, you would not have felt any resistance at the top of the stroke. If the ball was too big, it would have been a beach to pull the case back over the ball. Whatcha got?

Don't the bushings I need do the crimping and set in the seating die?
At least that's how I am reading it on the Redding page.
Or mybe not.
I'm just ordering the regular dies until I find someone around here that can show me whattsuppwitit
Should a know to just get the regular dies:rolleyes: And they are about $5 more than the bushings:eek:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top