JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Here's my take on left lane campers!!

567911816db7b60d2af4b60fafa45ce0f4ead9db82f13d3a7ab1da3a924156df.jpg cop-trolls-slow-driver-in-left-lane-on-highway.gif VxpQfD3.jpg ff6nwy.jpg

567911816db7b60d2af4b60fafa45ce0f4ead9db82f13d3a7ab1da3a924156df.jpg

cop-trolls-slow-driver-in-left-lane-on-highway.gif

VxpQfD3.jpg

ff6nwy.jpg

People need to learn the difference between HIGHWAY and FREEWAY/INTERSTATE driving.

Highway, you CAN travel the speed limit no matter how much that pisses off all the lead footers who want to go 5-15mph over, mostly because you'll have exits on the right and left of you (generally)

The freeway/interstate system is where the "left lane is only for passing" comes into play. However I dont think it deserves fines/tickets..

Thats lunacy, whats next? We start ticketing people for walking too slow at the grocery store?
"Move over to the right of the aisle granny, I need to pick up a box of fruity pebbles ASAP!"

Are slow drivers frustrating, yes. But.. You can go around them?! Say what?
What about:
Speeding truckers, texters, make up regiment women, smokers, people who dont use turn signals, people who cross over multipul lanes?

There are far more issues they need to resolve before they try nannying more hard working (albeit slow driving) folks.

People need to learn the difference between HIGHWAY and FREEWAY/INTERSTATE driving.

Highway, you CAN travel the speed limit no matter how much that pisses off all the lead footers who want to go 5-15mph over, mostly because you'll have exits on the right and left of you (generally)

The freeway/interstate system is where the "left lane is only for passing" comes into play. However I dont think it deserves fines/tickets..

Thats lunacy, whats next? We start ticketing people for walking too slow at the grocery store?
"Move over to the right of the aisle granny, I need to pick up a box of fruity pebbles ASAP!"

Are slow drivers frustrating, yes. But.. You can go around them?! Say what?
What about:
Speeding truckers, texters, make up regiment women, smokers, people who dont use turn signals, people who cross over multipul lanes?

There are far more issues they need to resolve before they try nannying more hard working (albeit slow driving) folks.

When driving in traffic on the freeway I hit that left lane and stay there, but there's never anyone close to my bumper, unless I have someone in front of me. I will also run up to about 9 over as long as the rest of the traffic isn't running too much slower.

There is a HUGE issue in the city when traffic is moderate to heavy. I used to think it was one out of five drivers that just did their OWN thing, thinking it may be 2 out of 5 these days. No concern to get home in a timely manner and no consideration to those that would like to get home in a timely manner! Consider 100 cars in and area, whether it be a 1/4 mile stretch of highway/freeway, OR several arterials running through the neighborhood, with intersections. There is 20, or more, of "Those" people taking their time....Waiting 3-4 seconds to go after the light turns green? Four cars later another one takes 3-4 seconds to move! Not keeping up with traffic as it starts to increase in speed? (Don't forget there are three of "Those" people in every 15 cars). People not moving to the left when making a left turn thereby blocking people from going around them? People that won't go around someone making a left turn, even though there IS enough room, these people will frequently pull partly over, but not go around, blocking the person behind them for going! People that don't pull into the intersection when making a left turn.

People not signaling.....Waiting to turn, or pull out, and the idiot smiling with their damned phone up to their ear turns without signaling
Go the speed limit for hell sakes when you have people behind you!

They talk about how bad traffic is in PDX. It's the drivers, not the amount of cars. Remember when there used to be "Public Service Announcements" for various things? Why can't we get some of that going again? We don't have education campaigns for vehicle drivers, bicycle riders OR pedestrians. All we get is vehicle drivers are threatened/ticketed for not hammering the brakes because a pedestrian steps up to a curb.

I say start writing tickets to "THOSE" people that cause thousands of us a day to use more fuel, more brakes and more time than we should on the roads!

Smokers???? Really? That's a problem on the highway? It's OK to have your personal axe to grind, but that's a bit of a stretch as a highway hazard. But kudos for getting it in there:cool:.
No, NOT the smoking aspect. Ive smoked for a few years.
What I mean is tossing the butts and starting fires, thus causing massive traffic jams as they put out brush fires on the road. MANY smokers are lazy and toss the butts out the window, no care for the season or surroundings.

Half of my job is driving from appointment to appointment.. Ive logged more hours and miles on the road than many guys here on the forum.
(aside from true truckers of course)

These are things Ive seen first hand that either
A. Directly effect others
B. Cause damage/traffic later on.

When driving in traffic on the freeway I hit that left lane and stay there, but there's never anyone close to my bumper, unless I have someone in front of me. I will also run up to about 9 over as long as the rest of the traffic isn't running too much slower.

There is a HUGE issue in the city when traffic is moderate to heavy. I used to think it was one out of five drivers that just did their OWN thing, thinking it may be 2 out of 5 these days. No concern to get home in a timely manner and no consideration to those that would like to get home in a timely manner! Consider 100 cars in and area, whether it be a 1/4 mile stretch of highway/freeway, OR several arterials running through the neighborhood, with intersections. There is 20, or more, of "Those" people taking their time....Waiting 3-4 seconds to go after the light turns green? Four cars later another one takes 3-4 seconds to move! Not keeping up with traffic as it starts to increase in speed? (Don't forget there are three of "Those" people in every 15 cars). People not moving to the left when making a left turn thereby blocking people from going around them? People that won't go around someone making a left turn, even though there IS enough room, these people will frequently pull partly over, but not go around, blocking the person behind them for going! People that don't pull into the intersection when making a left turn.

People not signaling.....Waiting to turn, or pull out, and the idiot smiling with their damned phone up to their ear turns without signaling
Go the speed limit for hell sakes when you have people behind you!

They talk about how bad traffic is in PDX. It's the drivers, not the amount of cars. Remember when there used to be "Public Service Announcements" for various things? Why can't we get some of that going again? We don't have education campaigns for vehicle drivers, bicycle riders OR pedestrians. All we get is vehicle drivers are threatened/ticketed for not hammering the brakes because a pedestrian steps up to a curb.

I say start writing tickets to "THOSE" people that cause thousands of us a day to use more fuel, more brakes and more time than we should on the roads!
Who watches the watchmen? Who is this "discretion" left up to? In life there are more variables than we can list here.

Why add more laws to the books that is aimed to gin up money for the county and state? Especially when the cop is the judge and jury?
$20+ for 1-5 under and thats just the staring rate?
Do you know how they'll mainly police this? Cameras and radars! Yep you guessed it, more of those awesome nanny cams (red light cams) paid for by, you guessed it the tax payer. Expect this to be a reality if passed.

By the way, 90% of the passing lane folks think the left lane is their personal stretch of freeway, this isnt some black and white "oh but I just wanted to pass" issue. We all know the passing lane is used by people wanting to go 10-20 over slowing down only in the presence of law enforcement.

No, this law is for those that are generally the primary cause for fatal car accidents.
We are literally rewarding dangerous behavior.

Thank you, but I still like me freedom and can see the evil in this despite how annoying slow drivers are.

Have none of you speed demons really thought of the negative impact dangerous ideas like fast lane ticketing have?!

The medicated are usually out and about between the hours of 10:30 and 1:45pm weekdays going to and from Doctor appointments or prescription refills
The motivated high functioning are on the road by 5:00am and traffic moves along briskly
Anything after 6:15am and uR screwed...

People drive like they think. I'm convinced that is true.

This has always been a pet peeve of mine. But not the way you would think. To start with. "News Bulletin".....there is NO fast lane on the freeway. Both lanes are exactly the same speed limit. Now with that said, I will be the first to agree that if you are impeading traffic and are not at least traveling the posted speed limit, then yes you are obligated to move right. "But"' If I am in the left lane and I am breaking the law by traveling faster than the posted speed limit. Will say 5 or 10 over the limit and a car comes up on me at 85. Hell no I am not moving over. If they are in such a hurry, EVERY vehicle has a right turn signal as well as a left. If the car behind me at 85 is so impatient, then use your right turn signal and go the hell around and stop riding my a$$.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.61.100

Keep right except to pass, on all roadways, has been Washington State law for a long time. This is would just add additional penalties to the initial infraction of driving in the left lane when not passing. Just like when you speed more the penalty is increased. Left lane camping is a hazard and can cause accidents that's why this is getting more attention.

No one seems to actually know any laws on the road except speeding, but some people feel it's their job to police that one law they know, and it's not.

When I drive in Oregon everyone is in the left lane, the right lane is like semi trucks only, your only chance to pass anyone is in the right lane between trucks.

HarryHaller, Who besides yourself pays any attention to that "STUPID" law. That law you are talking about was originally for 18 wheeler's when the law was made. Then later some cop some where in the state thought it would be wise to expand that to cars. The term "left lane campers" is a term that is very young. You never heard that term 10 years ago. Try driving up here in Puget Sound during any week day rush hour and see how far you get and how long it takes you, if you stay in the right lane. It will take you an hour or better to travel at least 25 miles. You being in the smaller town of Kalama have no idea what a real rush hour drive is all about. So don't verse me on the so-called traffic laws. I am sure I have a few more years under my belt then you do.

So called traffic laws... It's a law, on the books, there's nothing so called about it. It doesn't take more years of driving to read road signs that say "Keep right except to pass, Washington state law." If you're sitting in traffic all the time it should be even easier to read. Big city traffic doesn't have anything to do with this anyway, it doesn't mean everyone drive in the right lane only. Slower traffic will generally be in the right lane, if you're in anything left of that and you're passing people, you're all set. When there's room to move right when done passing, move right. This recent term, probably led to this recent legislation, either due to more public awareness or more info gathered about accidents arrising from it.

I don't know about the laws. I get frustrated when the guy in front of me is going 10 under in the passing lane.

What I do know?

Everyone needs to stay off my damn lawn!!! :s0048:

So called traffic laws... It's a law, on the books, there's nothing so called about it. It doesn't take more years of driving to read road signs that say "Keep right except to pass, Washington state law." If you're sitting in traffic all the time it should be even easier to read. Big city traffic doesn't have anything to do with this anyway, it doesn't mean everyone drive in the right lane only. Slower traffic will generally be in the right lane, if you're in anything left of that and you're passing people, you're all set. When there's room to move right when done passing, move right. This recent term, probably led to this recent legislation, either due to more public awareness or more info gathered about accidents arrising from it.
I've noticed traveling over in Idaho and Montana drivers appear to very very much lane aware unlike Oregon and Washington where the left lane campers appear oblivious to that 20 car queue riding up their cornhole.

As far as being a dick and blocking folks who want to get by, well...I'll bit my tongue so as not to offend, but I will say this; I worked with a guy who said his wife INTENTIONALLY gets in the left lane and INTENTIONALLY stays at or about 1 mph below the limit because she enjoys "punishing" speeders.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top