JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This sales tax/use tax is a real pain, now we (FFLs) have become unpaid tax collectors for WA state. Believe me the gunstores hate it almost as much as you guys do. We have almost gone to the point of not offering transfers anymore, might still happen.

Next time you see a "bargain" online for a gun talk to your local dealer and see if he can acquire the same weapon at a reasonable price, it never hurts to check.

As far as heirloom weapons go think about taking them on the plane with you on your next trip, you can claim them as baggage, check with you airline.

The powers that be have made the shipping/transfer of firearms so difficult that it has become a royal pain.

This really sucks. It almost limits my purchases in Oregon to just rifles and ammo. Thankfully two vendors here are top notch and I can buy those things to my hearts' desire.

But I'd like to buy a pistol from one, and it seems like it'd end up costing more to do the transfer.

This is a "bubblegum" state.

One of the big problems I heard talking to a couple of shops is how to report it and file it correctly. He was told he would have to figure it out. Then also who decides what a gun is "worth" for the tax.

My best guess is this... So long as you are making an effort to collect and send in tax every month you are doing your job.
Whatever my customer tells me (they'll have to be reasonable. No $10.00 Glocks!):D that he paid I'll tax them on that amount.

The state is in such bad financial shape that they are looking to gain every penny they can, yet at the same time they have to keep operational costs down. Therefore, I doubt one has to worry too much so long as they are collecting and sending in some tax.
Just my "opinion". :s0131:

The one dealer was not sure how to pay the tax because he said it was based on his sales figures at the end of the year (I dont know how this works), granted most pay quarterly. He said how does he show he collected $$ tax on $$$ valued gun but only does not show $$$ value of the gun on his books because he did not collect $$$ value of the gun just his $$ transfer fee. So at the end of the year his income books show $$$$$ not $$$$$$ based on value of guns transfered.

I am not in business so I am not sure how all that works. The way he explained it at the time made sense to me.

My best guess is this... So long as you are making an effort to collect and send in tax every month you are doing your job.
Whatever my customer tells me (they'll have to be reasonable. No $10.00 Glocks!):D that he paid I'll tax them on that amount.
2 different local FFL's I have dealt with on Gunbroker purchases told me they could not process the transfer without either a copy of the invoice from the seller or a printout of the auction page showing the final price so they could calculate the taxes. They both also included the shipping in the taxable amount (which doesn't seem right to me).

Thats why I don't buy online. Why pay a $35 or $40 dollar fee and tax? The fee is way to high for a little paper work. I look at it like paying 17% tax. You can always find a deal if you look.

2 different local FFL's I have dealt with on Gunbroker purchases told me they could not process the transfer without either a copy of the invoice from the seller or a printout of the auction page showing the final price so they could calculate the taxes. They both also included the shipping in the taxable amount (which doesn't seem right to me).

Probably the reason for that is that the state asked the FFL to collect taxes on shipping.. Thank goodness my dealer say no way. He refused to collect taxes on shipping since it's not right..

Probably the reason for that is that the state asked the FFL to collect taxes on shipping.. Thank goodness my dealer say no way. He refused to collect taxes on shipping since it's not right..

if you read the law as I have, you will see that the FFL is REQUIRED to charge the tax on the shipping.

Also, if no receipt is shown the FFRL is required to use the book value of trhe firearm, if no book value can be determined then they need a determination from the DOR on the value of the firearm.

You can easily check out what I've posted by going to the DOR site.

I don't understand people saying something isn't right or not following the requirements for value when they have no idea what the law says.

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Trade Rating" is low by 3
Not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

Defintiely it's more tricky dealing with the taxes.

with taking advantage of savings when it's legal.

But don't forget: you're supposed to then go to the local DOR office, declare the value and pay the required use tax!!

And the DOR office workers will be VERY surprised to see you and may not even know what to do since almost nobody does it!!

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

if you read the law as I have, you will see that the FFL is REQUIRED to charge the tax on the shipping.

Also, if no receipt is shown the FFRL is required to use the book value of trhe firearm, if no book value can be determined then they need a determination from the DOR on the value of the firearm.

You can easily check out what I've posted by going to the DOR site.

I don't understand people saying something isn't right or not following the requirements for value when they have no idea what the law says.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

I'll let him know that. He's a good guy so don't want him to get into any type of trouble.

I'll let him know that. He's a good guy so don't want him to get into any type of trouble.

of the DOR site that spells it all out in easy to read and understand format.

<broken link removed>

You could as at Brightwater Ventures about sales/use tax. Mike (when he still owned it) got hit and hit hard. Had to pay use/sales taxes out of his own pocket although some buyers ponied up after the fact.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR