JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The only thing I didn't think was legal in the OP was one guy giving it to another guy to bring across state lines to deliver to another guy .

With respect to WA, handguns lawfully transferred are, for all intents, registered. A standardized record of every sale is kept in a centralized location accessible to the government. It may or may not be computerized but that's not the acid test for a registry.

Lawfully transferred long guns are stored in a distributed registry; the FFL's repository where 4473s are kept. A background check is but one element of a 4473, the make, model and serial number of every gun on that form is recorded and must be retained by the FFL for a certain period of time.

So, the data is there, it's just not immediately available to search.

Turning data into information is simply a matter of law, time and money; the government has an infinite supply of the last two.
So, how does that work with the computerized system that places like Cabelas use. There is no hard copy. I have tried to understand registration laws and practices for decades. Even in California, the only "registration" is on Handguns and at one time "assault" weapons. That is supposedly illegal by federal law but California simply ignores that part. In California, if the CHP or some other agency stops you, they can (and will) check a handgun on the spot to see it is in your name. When I last lived in California 10 years ago C&R long gun's could be sold in a private party transfer without the "assistance" of a FFL holder or background check. The only way that Washington was ahead of California in gun restrictions was in there silly "machine gun" Parts ban.

So, how does that work with the computerized system that places like Cabelas use. There is no hard copy. I have tried to understand registration laws and practices for decades. Even in California, the only "registration" is on Handguns and at one time "assault" weapons. That is supposedly illegal by federal law but California simply ignores that part. In California, if the CHP or some other agency stops you, they can (and will) check a handgun on the spot to see it is in your name. When I last lived in California 10 years ago C&R long gun's could be sold in a private party transfer without the "assistance" of a FFL holder or background check. The only way that Washington was ahead of California in gun restrictions was in there silly "machine gun" Parts ban.

There is a hard copy of the 4473. That's federal law. We use an electronic system, all the data goes into our computer and records systems, but a hardcopy 4473 is printed and receives a "wet signature". The Washington pistol transfer application is similar, it requires a wet signature.

The only thing I didn't think was legal in the OP was one guy giving it to another guy to bring across state lines to deliver to another guy .
It seems to me that part would be OK, the same as UPS or FED X delivering the gun to the FFL for transfer. Those companies have no special licenses to do anything with firearms. Banjogeek and I did the exact thing on 2 gun's I bought from him last week. Simple legal transaction.

There is a hard copy of the 4473. That's federal law. We use an electronic system, all the data goes into our computer and records systems, but a hardcopy 4473 is printed and receives a "wet signature". The Washington pistol transfer application is similar, it requires a wet signature.
How do you get a "wet" signature? It is only electronically signed by me. My wife occasionally has to do "wet" signatures, the documents are physically shipped to her for that. The entire form and test are done electronically. No printed form.

When I last lived in California 10 years ago C&R long gun's could be sold in a private party transfer without the "assistance" of a FFL holder or background check.

A C&R IS a Federal Firearms License. Might not be all inclusive but even Washington backed off on requiring C&R go through a "dealer".

Yep I geuss but according to Washington law I can't just hand over a gun to my friend to use unless I'm with him . from what I understand .
Shipping a gun is kinda different .but who knows any more I cant keep up .the laws change every week it seems

A C&R IS a Federal Firearms License. Might not be all inclusive but even Washington backed off on requiring C&R go through a "dealer".
Not C&R dealer transfer.........C&R gun's being transferred person to person without any FFL involved. I have several guns that I purchased that way before leaving the state. I haven't been on Calguns for a long time but it is heavily discussed there.

Yep I geuss but according to Washington law I can't just hand over a gun to my friend to use unless I'm with him . from what I understand .
Shipping a gun is kinda different .but who knows any more I cant keep up .the laws change every week it seems
You are not doing that.........they are "delivering" the gun to the FFL holder that will effect the transfer.

How do you get a "wet" signature? It is only electronically signed by me. My wife occasionally has to do "wet" signatures, the documents are physically shipped to her for that. The entire form and test are done electronically. No printed form.
The law say a hardcopy with wet signature is required, so does the state of WA (I often argue about it with SouthSound 911). We're required to email them the signed copy. If Cabelas attorneys worked out a a deal with ATF (and they're big enough to be able to do that), they could have an exception that satisfied the ATF paperwork requirements. I suspect they may just capture it all electronically and then print the forms for storage.

The law say a hardcopy with wet signature is required, so does the state of WA (I often argue about it with SouthSound 911). We're required to email them the signed copy. If Cabelas attorneys worked out a a deal with ATF (and they're big enough to be able to do that), they could have an exception that satisfied the ATF paperwork requirements. I suspect they may just capture it all electronically and then print the forms for storage.
And to be fair, that is here in my Boise store.........there must be someone here that has done firearms transactions with them in Washington........I bought a Merkel from the Lacy store but they shipped it to Boise for the transfer.

You can gift a firearm to an immediate family member, as long as they are not a prohibited person. I'm an FFL and I stand behind this message. So does the RCW.

As so often happens with "legal" questions here many stop actually reading anything written. The new law is quite clear as to who you can "give" a firearm too. What I keep warning people is that is not what would worry me. I have given several guns over the years to kids. Since this law passed I would now if giving one pay the transfer and have it done with them. The reason is if the gun was last papered to me, I am where the LEO's are going to come to if the thing ends up at a crime years down the road. If a gun is stolen or in any other way ends up in some criminals hands, and ends up at a crime, LEO's can, and often do, try to trace it back to who last was known to own it. So if anyone gives a gun away that they had papered they could get a call 20 or more years later asking about it. That "family member" you gave it to may sell, give, lose, ect the gun. If it ends up at a crime that the law wants to spend the time with they may show up asking about it. Yes you can say you lawfully gave it away. They would then head to that person, who best say the same thing you just did. Personally I will pay the $25 and have it transferred to the person I am giving it to. Now many will read some small part of this and already have an argument typing away that has nothing to do with what I just said <shrug>
As with all advice given free it's worth what others are paying for it.

As so often happens with "legal" questions here many stop actually reading anything written. The new law is quite clear as to who you can "give" a firearm too. What I keep warning people is that is not what would worry me. I have given several guns over the years to kids. Since this law passed I would now if giving one pay the transfer and have it done with them. The reason is if the gun was last papered to me, I am where the LEO's are going to come to if the thing ends up at a crime years down the road. If a gun is stolen or in any other way ends up in some criminals hands, and ends up at a crime, LEO's can, and often do, try to trace it back to who last was known to own it. So if anyone gives a gun away that they had papered they could get a call 20 or more years later asking about it. That "family member" you gave it to may sell, give, lose, ect the gun. If it ends up at a crime that the law wants to spend the time with they may show up asking about it. Yes you can say you lawfully gave it away. They would then head to that person, who best say the same thing you just did. Personally I will pay the $25 and have it transferred to the person I am giving it to. Now many will read some small part of this and already have an argument typing away that has nothing to do with what I just said <shrug>
As with all advice given free it's worth what others are paying for it.
That happens and has happened forever. My good buddy in Utah sold guns in the east while in law school. One day 10 years later, he got. Call at his District Attorney office (he had also been a Sheriffs Deputy) and told a gun he had sold was recovered at a murder scene. It was an interesting call but not a difficult one. He dug out his books, told the ATF what had gone on........evidently it had gone through several hands since he sold it new. There was no issue beyond that other than curiosity. I still don't believe there is an actual registry for long guns. Lots of Tin foil hat conversations like many other issues here.

That happens and has happened forever. My good buddy in Utah sold guns in the east while in law school. One day 10 years later, he got. Call at his District Attorney office (he had also been a Sheriffs Deputy) and told a gun he had sold was recovered at a murder scene. It was an interesting call but not a difficult one. He dug out his books, told the ATF what had gone on........evidently it had gone through several hands since he sold it new. There was no issue beyond that other than curiosity. I still don't believe there is an actual registry for long guns. Lots of Tin foil hat conversations like many other issues here.

Registry? No, at least not yet. I guess some localities in the US do have one and the way gun owners love to vote liberals I have little doubt we will end up with one. Again that's not why I would transfer a gun of mine if I give it to someone now. That is if I was last papered on it. Have many that are not and those I would not care about. I just don't want to have a gun I gave away after this law passed show up a decade later and not be able to show where it went other than my word for it. Will this happen? I am sure no. Does not mean it's not worth $25 to me to cover it. Now many will ignore this and just do it anyway. I have no doubt many are still selling guns without going through a dealer. To each his own, it's just not worth it to me to save $25.

Registry? No, at least not yet. I guess some localities in the US do have one and the way gun owners love to vote liberals I have little doubt we will end up with one. Again that's not why I would transfer a gun of mine if I give it to someone now. That is if I was last papered on it. Have many that are not and those I would not care about. I just don't want to have a gun I gave away after this law passed show up a decade later and not be able to show where it went other than my word for it. Will this happen? I am sure no. Does not mean it's not worth $25 to me to cover it. Now many will ignore this and just do it anyway. I have no doubt many are still selling guns without going through a dealer. To each his own, it's just not worth it to me to save $25.
I would think the reason for the family exemption would be that you should know if he is a person that can't own a gun and inheritance issues. The only way that you could really get in trouble is if you gave a gun to someone not legally able to own it. I always transfer guns that I sell.......don't sell many.......particularly to a stranger. I give guns to my kids without doing it because I know there is no problem with them. I gave my USCG son that was stationed in Humbolt a nice Smith & Wesson M15 that he had to take to a FFL dealer to register in his name in California just because even people transferred or moving into California are required to do that even with guns they have owned for a long period of time and they actually register handguns. Many of my handguns are still registered in California and I am less concerned about having one of those in the car then the ones that are not.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top