Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $1,000 in prizes this month in the Northwest Firearms Winter Giveaway!
    Dismiss Notice

WA Trailer Laws?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by cbzdel, Jul 28, 2014.

1. cbzdel

cbzdel Tacoma, WA Member

I hooked up my flat bed 4x8 utility trailer to go get some lumber and my lights are not lighting up, upon searching I have a short somewhere on the wire harness on my vehicle.

I went on google and came across some laws for a different state which said if you have a flatbed trailer and the lights on your vehicle are 100% visible you do not need trailer lights during the daylight hours.

I was unable to find anything for WA which was similar, meaning it probably doesnt exist here. But I though I was ask anyway.

I need to fix the harness either way but I really need to get this lumber as well, it may be faster just to rent a $20/hour truck at this point.

2. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Check the ground wire, that's the usual culprit when nothing lights up.
    Most lumber companies deliver for a nominal fee.

3. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

4. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

For what it's worth, I have been told by state police that as long as the pulling vehicles tail lights are visible and it is during the DAY then it's ok.

I wouldn't recommend doing it often but in a pinch, it may be doable.

5. Gunwheeler

Gunwheeler Somewhere in De Nile Active Member

Might be good o mention WSP can impound for defective tail lights.

Joe13 likes this.
  6. wichaka

wichaka Wa State Well-Known Member

Liability factor if you get rear ended

mjbskwim and Joe13 like this.
  7. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Just like any load sticking out past your vehicle put something red on the back of the trailer like stapling a red flag/plastic/ shirt to a piece of wood.

I take stuff to the dump/ Mcfarlanes, etc all the time and I've never had an issue. But then again if they want a reason they can find one.