JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
0033.gif

Last Edited:
I can attest that Wasp insect sprays are far stronger than normal insect sprays. I've had Wasp problems on my property, and discovered normal RAID for flying insects was quite ineffective on them. I could envelop them in a cloud of RAID, without any apparent effect. After repeated doses, and if they hung around to even allow that, they would eventually die. But it would take repeated doses just to get them on the ground, and then they would take forever to actually die.

I ended up getting Spectracide's Commercial quality Wasp and Hornet spray. Man, is this stuff ever toxic and nasty. It can shoot out 20 ft too. Be careful not to spray into the wind, however, as you don't want this stuff to get on you!!

When hit with this stuff, Wasps immediately fall out of the sky, and are dead within a few seconds on the ground. Don't know how a dog would react, but I would imagine it would be an extremely bad experience for any animal to get this stuff in their face.

wasp_ng.jpg

If I may ask, what is it you wish to know here? For actual flying insects, plain ol soap and water does a really good job, especially on Bee's If you want a option for K-9 defense, One of the OC sprays might be a better option! Better coverage, and less risk to your health. Many of these bug sprays are highly toxic, and flammable! There may also be a legal issue with using wasp spray against a dog, but I don't know!

So Lance, wasp spray kills wasps eh?:p;)

Raid, Black Flag, Spectracide, all contain a variation of permethrin. "Permethrin is an insecticide in the pyrethroid family. Pyrethroids are synthetic chemicals that act like natural extracts from the chrysanthemum flower."

They are not incredibly toxic to humans and pets but it is a good idea to wash any away if you come into contact. However, insect metabolism is different from mammals, yes, duh? Pyrethrins are a contact poison for wasps that cause them immediate seizures followed somewhat quickly by death.

They have been very much debunked as a self defense tool. Wasp spray for self-defense?

Last Edited:
If I may ask, what is it you wish to know here? For actual flying insects, plain ol soap and water does a really good job, especially on Bee's If you want a option for K-9 defense, One of the OC sprays might be a better option! Better coverage, and less risk to your health. Many of these bug sprays are highly toxic, and flammable! There may also be a legal issue with using wasp spray against a dog, but I don't know!
Soap and water works well on wasps. Bees almost never live in the open like wasps. If you ever see them out in the open just leave them be and don't kill them. They are just swarming and will be gone within a few hours and it is illegal to kill honeybees, they are protected. I promise I am a bee expert, @SparksFly is a beekeeper and he taught me everything I know about bees. Plus he has been stung a good 70 times and it only makes a mosquito sized welt. Lucky him, I get stung and I have a soup bowl on my arm.

I love my Bee's, they pollinate every thing I have growing here, with out them, I'm screwed, We are all screwed! Wasps are a non issue, I have never had any problems with them, Mud Dauber wasps are the main ones here! If I find a problem nest, Soap and water does the trick and they don't come back after wards!

Since the end of the title is K9's I would assume the OP is asking about dogs? If so OC is GREAT for this. While it is hit and miss on humans it has always worked great for me on dogs. The last time i used it was years ago. A$$hat neighbor has LONG had problem dogs. When one finally got old he got another pit. Saw it out in my front yard and went out to shoo it away. It charged me. A face full of OC and it made tracks back home. That was years ago. I still find it in my front yard now and then. I just open the front door. As soon as it see's me it beats feet out of there.

Since the end of the title is K9's I would assume the OP is asking about dogs? If so OC is GREAT for this. While it is hit and miss on humans it has always worked great for me on dogs. The last time i used it was years ago. A$$hat neighbor has LONG had problem dogs. When one finally got old he got another pit. Saw it out in my front yard and went out to shoo it away. It charged me. A face full of OC and it made tracks back home. That was years ago. I still find it in my front yard now and then. I just open the front door. As soon as it see's me it beats feet out of there.

Yeah that was kind of my assumption based on the thread but I wasn't sure. I would definitely recommend OC over wasp spray for dogs. One it is far more likely to be effective and two poisoning a dog with a toxin may put you in an awkward position. My dog is a sweet heart but if someone OC'ed her I would be pissed but if someone intentionally chose to spray her with poison it would end badly.

Yeah that was kind of my assumption based on the thread but I wasn't sure. I would definitely recommend OC over wasp spray for dogs. One it is far more likely to be effective and two poisoning a dog with a toxin may put you in an awkward position. My dog is a sweet heart but if someone OC'ed her I would be pissed but if someone intentionally chose to spray her with poison it would end badly.
When I have to fend off some A$$hats dog I would rather be able to do it to the damn owner. Since it's not the dogs fault the owner is a moron. It's why I carry OC when I walk mine. I have a gun too of course but do not want to hurt the other dog if I can avoid it. The OC runs the dog off without doing any permanent harm.

When I have to fend off some A$$hats dog I would rather be able to do it to the damn owner. Since it's not the dogs fault the owner is a moron. It's why I carry OC when I walk mine. I have a gun too of course but do not want to hurt the other dog if I can avoid it. The OC runs the dog off without doing any permanent harm.

Exactly, OC is perfect for dealing with an aggressive dog or an aggressive human not to mention it comes in a nice conveniently sized can vs a large spray bottle.

I love my Bee's, they pollinate every thing I have growing here, with out them, I'm screwed, We are all screwed! Wasps are a non issue, I have never had any problems with them, Mud Dauber wasps are the main ones here! If I find a problem nest, Soap and water does the trick and they don't come back after wards!

My dad kept bees for a while, I learned a bit about helping with the hives. My wife and I have talked about adding a hive on our property - part for the honey, but also part for doing our little bit to try and help the honey bee population grow and hopefully thrive. You're right, we need them, badly.

However, scientists are actually working on an option if the bee population were to collapse. I certainly hope it never comes to this:

Who carries a can of wasp spray around just in case a dog attacks you? wild or domestic at home or in the woods its not in my pack or on my person. Heck I think I have some in my shed in case I get a nest on the house.

Wasps are a big problem here. Large populations and nests. They are flying and landing everywhere. We cannot eat outside, have a coke, or an outdoor bbq. The wife and I get stung several times each year. It's not fun. So I go on a nest hunt several times during the season and wish I could dose all the neighbors houses. There are worse things than a bit of permethrin around. Sheesh.

Again, it's not very toxic to mammals. Don't be going and blowing someone away if your dog gets sprayed. Just rinse! OC is much worse!!!!

Remember if you are spraying dogs outside of your yard there are restrictions on the label stating what you can use these sprays for.
Use them out side of your own property and the dog owner may get you in a hornet's nest:rolleyes: of problems

Remember if you are spraying dogs outside of your yard there are restrictions on the label stating what you can use these sprays for.
Use them out side of your own property and the dog owner may get you in a hornet's nest:rolleyes: of problems

:D This is technically true but I used to have Oregon Pest Control Applicator and Operator license and was an active member of Oregon Pest Control Association for 13yrs and I have never seen nor heard of non-licensees being taken to task on that point. Other than large corp, that is. There have been some Ag companies and Boise Cascade if I am remembering correctly but that wasn't about dog spraying. I guess if you wound up in court the off label use would not be a big point. Unless you were seen on camera. Then you might be jeopardizing the spraying rights of the rest of us.:rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top