JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It seems a cougar took down a horse in the Bothell, WA area last week, and a sign at a grocery store also indicated that a cougar got a dog nearby within a day or so of the incident with the horse.

I have no plans to go looking for the cougar, but I was wondering if anyone here is familiar with Fish & Wildlife laws and (if so) is it legal for me to shoot the cougar if spotted on my property.

Peter

Cougars are classified as game animals and an open season and a hunting license are required to hunt them (WAC 232-12-007). A property owner or the owner's immediate family, employee, or tenant may kill a cougar on that property if it is damaging domestic animals (RCW 77.36.030). No permit is required.

The killing of a cougar in self-defense, or defense of another, should be reasonable and justified. A person taking such action must have reasonable belief that the cougar poses a threat of serious physical harm, that this harm is imminent, and the action is the only reasonable available means to prevent that harm.

Cougars have 3 seasons,or ways you can kill them,that correspond to the deer season that is open.ie:bow,blackpowder,modern.
I believe the season is september to dec 31st

And ATCclears,make sure you know exactly whats going on,cause you will bring the entire force down on you ,shooting in a residential neighborhood.
And it won't have to do with the killing of a cougar.
Bear spray would be the way to go.

Cougars have 3 seasons,or ways you can kill them,that correspond to the deer season that is open.ie:bow,blackpowder,modern.
I believe the season is september to dec 31st

And ATCclears,make sure you know exactly whats going on,cause you will bring the entire force down on you ,shooting in a residential neighborhood.
And it won't have to do with the killing of a cougar.
Bear spray would be the way to go.

mjb, thx.

I'm zoned rural with 5-acre parcels, and we have horses and dogs. Honestly, if a cougar was attacking or threatening and I had a clear shot then I would take it. I just wanted to understand the State laws.

Last week Kiro7 reported on the attack on a horse in Bothell, where the cougar tore the horse's throat out. My concern is that the same cougar might just do it again.

Peter

And he will at least try.

I had a guy tell me about one going over his 8' fence,he had to keep them out,to get an epileptic fole? that they were taking care of.Drug it back out,over the fence and left it in his drive for the wife to find.
She wasn't happy
Down the street a gal lost 7 soya sheep in one night by cougar.We have guy that will go set up in your back yard to get them .

legal firearm for cougar is .22 center fire or larger.

You can kill it if it attacks your horse or dog, without a hunting license. If you have a hunting license, cougar tags are open to all during the season. Remember, there are areas near Seattle that are shotgun or archery only.

There was a news story this morning from down in Northern California I believe where a cougar crashed threw a lady's bedroom window and landed on her bed while she was still asleep. It didn't attack her and ended up running out a side door she opened for it. All I know is if I'm awoken to see a cougar in my bedroom, I'm sorry but I'm shooting that thing quite dead.

There was a news story this morning from down in Northern California I believe where a cougar crashed threw a lady's bedroom window and landed on her bed while she was still asleep. It didn't attack her and ended up running out a side door she opened for it. All I know is if I'm awoken to see a cougar in my bedroom, I'm sorry but I'm shooting that thing quite dead.

I don't know bout that, Depends on the Cougar:p:p:p

All I know is that there is almost a 5 year gap in posts in this threado_O

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top