JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
snippets:

The Washington State Legislature has passed a bill to remove the crime of second-degree robbery from the list of crimes subject to the three strikes law, which comes with an automatic life sentence.

The bill had previously passed the Senate, and passed the House Tuesday largely along party lines, with strong opposition from Republicans.

"This bill runs against the clear message to offenders in this state that what they do is wrong, and this bill enables bad instincts and outcomes," Republican Rep. Jim Walsh said ahead of the vote in the House.

As an example:

"Three days ago, Sheriff's Deputy Justin DeRosier of Cowlitz County was shot dead. The individual who killed the deputy had a checkered legal past … had been arrested nine times in less than five years, and the first charge — the first of those nine arrests — [was] robbery in the second degree," Walsh explained.

If the governor signs the bill into law, it would remove the mandatory life in prison sentence for third-strike, second-degree robbery offenders, but it does not allow such offenders already serving life to petition the court for a new sentence.

Non-violent robbery no longer subject to three strikes law

huh, only polite robberies are ok then, i guess? :rolleyes:

this is the problem, they cater to criminals and hurt the law abiding with more laws BANNING objects instead of stricter punishment for crime.

i mean really, maybe if crime came with very heavy consequences people would MAYBE think twice?

use a gun in a robbery? automatic 25 years kind of thing. now that i have a silencer, if i understand federal law correctly, if i commit a crime with my silencer, im subject to an automatic 10 years in prison. minimum. knowing this makes me NOT want to break the law. what a concept.

huh, only polite robberies are ok then, i guess? :rolleyes:

this is the problem, they cater to criminals and hurt the law abiding with more laws BANNING objects instead of stricter punishment for crime.

i mean really, maybe if crime came with very heavy consequences people would MAYBE think twice?

use a gun in a robbery? automatic 25 years kind of thing. now that i have a silencer, if i understand federal law correctly, if i commit a crime with my silencer, im subject to an automatic 10 years in prison. minimum. knowing this makes me NOT want to break the law. what a concept.

In reality, this also will decrease Robbery 1 convictions because the defense will be willing to plea to Robbery 2 to avoid the strike and the prosecutors will agree so they can get the case off their plate.

So, bad guys benefit by not getting a strike on an actual Rob 2 and they also will benefit for getting away with Rob 1.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top