JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It hasn't been referred to Committee yet, and when it is it has three "good" bills in the queue ahead of it, but twoclones is correct, email/call your Legislator on 1588

Your Legislator should (if they haven't already co-sponsored) be encouraged to support:
HB 1318 - Concerning concealed pistol license renewal notices.
HB 1371 - Adopting the Washington state firearms freedom act of 2013 and establishing penalties.
HB 1392 - Protecting citizens from the application of foreign laws that would result in a violation of a constitutional right.

I just wrote my two reps....unfortunately Moeller and Wylie are both cosponsors.

I wont comply either. I bought a M&P 15-22 for my daughter 2 years ago, when I officially gift it to her I wont be conducting a background check. EVER.

It hasn't been referred to Committee yet, and when it is it has three "good" bills in the queue ahead of it, but twoclones is correct, email/call your Legislator on 1588

Your Legislator should (if they haven't already co-sponsored) be encouraged to support:
HB 1318 - Concerning concealed pistol license renewal notices.
HB 1371 - Adopting the Washington state firearms freedom act of 2013 and establishing penalties.
HB 1392 - Protecting citizens from the application of foreign laws that would result in a violation of a constitutional right.

Thanks for the info on those other bills. I'm writing my local reps right now.

Got a quick response from Rep Brandon Vick's assistant.

Chris,

Thank you for taking the initiative to contact our office and voice your concerns over gun control. As your State Representative, Brandon Vick believes it is critical to receive input from voters like you to keep up with voter desires of the 18th Legislative District.

Representative Vick wants to assure you that he will be an advocate for rights of gun owners as long as he has the privilege to serve our community and will oppose HB 1588. Rep. Vick believes that disarming our law abiding citizens will do nothing to reduce the amount of gun violence and could actually increase violence crime when criminals realize the citizenry is unarmed.

Representative Vick will fight to insure that firearms we are able to purchase now are not limited any further. Washington State is a place with a long and proud history of individual gun rights. Representative Vick intends to fight to protect those rights.

Please understand that Representative Brandon Vick is a member of the Washington State House of Representatives, not the Uunited States Congress. Brandon will strongly support the rights of gun owners on in the state of Washington where he is an elected Representative. However, Brandon does not have a position or vote in the federal government but will do his best to be a strong voice for the second amendment to our elected officials on the federal level.

For issues on the federal level, our office encourages you to contact your Federal Representatives with these same concerns. Those elected officials would be Senator Patty Murray, Senator Maria Cantwell, and Congresswoman Jaime Herrera Beutler.

Thank you again for your email. We look forward to hearing from you again during the legislative session.

Best Regards,

Peter Gilmour
Legislative Assistant to
Representative Brandon Vick
18th Legislative District

I will start writing in the morning. I have written more letters to our congressional and state leaders in the last month than in my entire life.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Based on what I read at the Oregonian here:
Universal background checks for gun sales proposed in Washington state Legislature | OregonLive.com

I also wrote Brandon Vick regarding the comments attributed to him in the story and received the following email back from him.:

"Thank you very much for the email. I did not intend to give the impression that I supported the legislation. I will contact the reporter ASAP to clear this up. I do not support this legislation. In talking with the reporter, I did speak about the concept of trying to keep guns out of the hands of "bad guys" as a good idea, but I do not support universal background checks. Thanks for the heads up!"

Brandon P. Vick

Here is the NRA Alert on Washington State HB 1588 Background and Registration Bill
We need to write and phone each sponsor of this bill and politely, but firmly express our opposition and we need to contact our own District Representative.

It's up to us. We can contact our State Districts Representative our we can just sit and whine and say they don't listen anyway.
Here's a link to find your Representative:
http://app.leg.wa.gov/DistrictFinder/

Here is the Text of the Alert along with the House Judiciary Committee
Washington: "Universal Background Check" Legislation Must be Defeated

Unfortunately, the rumors of more attempts at gun control in Washington have proven true. House Bill 1588, "universal background check" legislation, was introduced today by state Representative Jamie Pederson (D-43), Mike Hope (R-44) and 21 other state Representatives. This bill has been referred to the House Judiciary Committee, where Representative Jamie Pederson is the chairman and Representative Mike Hope is a key Republican on this committee.

House Bill 1588 is the first step toward universal registration and clearly over-reaches and infringes on our Right to Keep and Bear Arms. This bill would create a massive regulatory scheme and a huge burden for law-abiding citizens. It also would require that anytime you sell any firearm to a family member or friend, you will have to go through a gun dealer or law enforcement agency and pay a $20 gun tax, with no guarantee of timely processing. Additionally, while Concealed Pistol License (CPL) holders are currently exempt from having to undergo a background check when purchasing a firearm from a dealer, there is no provision in this bill that extends the CPL exemption to private sales.

Washington currently has strong background check requirements in place. Furthermore, it is already a federal felony for any private person to sell, trade, give, lend, rent or transfer a gun to a person they know or should have known is not legally allowed to own, purchase or possess a firearm. It should be noted that every year, tens of thousands of people fail to pass the background checks required for firearm purchases, yet only a fraction are prosecuted for providing false information. Before lawmakers begin creating more onerous rules and regulations, they should start enforcing the laws that are currently on the books.

Those who urge passage of so-called "universal background checks" fail to grasp the fundamental truth that this will only affect law-abiding citizens and not criminals. Criminals do not obey the law in the first place. For more information on restrictions on private transfers, please click here.

The entire legislature needs to know how Washington feels regarding universal background checks. It is imperative that you contact your state Representative and state Senator TODAY and respectfully express your opposition to House Bill 1588. It is especially important for you to contact your state Representative if he or she serves on the House Judiciary Committee. To determine who your elected officials are and for their contact information, please click here. Contact information for members of the House Judiciary Committee is provided below.

House Judiciary Committee:

Representative Jamie Pedersen (D-43), Chairman
(360) 786-7826
[email protected]

Representative Drew Hansen (D-23), Vice Chairman
(360) 786-7842
[email protected]

Representative Jay Rodne (R-5)
(360) 786-7852
[email protected]

Representative Steve O'Ban (R-28)
(360) 786-7890
[email protected]

Representative Roger Goodman (D-45)
(360) 786-7878
[email protected]

Representative Mike Hope (R-44)
(360) 786-7892
[email protected]

Representative Laurie Jinkins (D-27)
(360) 786-7930
[email protected]

Representative Steve Kirby (D-29)
(360) 786-7996
[email protected]

Representative Brad Klippert (R-8)
(360) 786-7882
[email protected]

Representative Terry Nealey (R-16)
(360) 786-7828
[email protected]

Representative Tina Orwall (D-33)
(360) 786-7834
[email protected]

Representative Mary Helen Roberts (D-21)
(360) 786-7950
[email protected]

Representative Matt Shea (R-4)
(360) 786-7984
[email protected]

I just wrote my two reps....unfortunately Moeller and Wylie are both cosponsors.

I wont comply either. I bought a M&P 15-22 for my daughter 2 years ago, when I officially gift it to her I wont be conducting a background check. EVER.

Same here. I bet it will fall on deaf ears just like the letters I wrote to Murray and Cantwell though.

Same here. I bet it will fall on deaf ears just like the letters I wrote to Murray and Cantwell though.

Bingo!! I received no response from Moeller or Wylie. Brandon Vick, who does not even represent me, was the only person to respond.

Last month I did receive the form letter that Maria Cantwell sent us all, but i received no response at all from Patty Murray's office.

I'm trying to be optimistic, but the evidence is suggesting writing/calling/emailing certain people (who appear to all be democrats) is a fruitless endeavor and a waste of time.

Last month I did receive the form letter that Maria Cantwell sent us all, but i received no response at all from Patty Murray's office.

I'm trying to be optimistic, but the evidence is suggesting writing/calling/emailing certain people (who appear to all be democrats) is a fruitless endeavor and a waste of time.

I keep receiveing the same email from Cantwell, but Murray hasn't said a word and I've sent at least 4 letters/emails. I think she is trying to ignore all of us "gun nuts" in the hopes we'll go away.

Ray

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads