JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've received a response from Murray, and she side-stepped everything I wrote her about. It was the most generic and "boxed" response I've seen.

Sounds about right for her....we need to write and call our STATE level Representatives and let them know what we feel about this since this is state level legislation.

NRA, GOAL oppose ‘universal background check’ legislation

The National Rifle Association was out late Thursday with a blistering criticism of House Bill 1588 which would require “universal background checks” on all firearms transactions in Washington State, and Examiner has learned that the Gun Owner’s Action League of Washington “will take a similar tone” in Friday evening’s on-line edition of The GOAL Post.

<broken link removed>

Check out this response. I think I found a good guy who will give a satisfactory answer.

Dear Ray,

Thanks for sharing your concern about our Second Amendment rights. That's why Rep. Shea co-sponsored HB 1371, The Firearms Freedom Act, as part of the Freedom Agenda (see "Freedom Agenda WA" on Facebook).

One major component of the Freedom Agenda is the Washington Firearms Freedom Act. This bill, if enacted, will exempt all firearms manufactured in WA State from federal regulation and deal with anticipated new federal regulations, as well. The Washington bill will even be more robust than the much touted Wyoming bill. The history of our bill in previous sessions has been to exempt firearms manufactured in Washington that stays in Washington.

But it also, in Section 5(4) nullifies any federal law adopted after January 1, 2013 that bans or attempts registration of firearms. And finally, Section 12(4) specifically prevents any restrictions placed upon law-abiding citizens in a state of emergency. Those of us who remember the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina recall the door-to-door confiscation of firearms and the sometimes disastrous results.

The bill number is House Bill 1371 and can be accessed on your personal computer here.

Rep Shea is aware that there could be a slew of gun control bills coming and he is prepared to argue against them on the floor of the House. He is depending upon the informed citizenry, however, to let the body of the Legislature know how they feel about gun control and, hopefully, be available to testify at committee hearings. It was just a couple weeks ago that a Democrat legislator withdrew a gun control bill after receiving a blizzard of messages of objection from concerned citizens.

Thank you very much for your letter and please consider receiving Rep Shea's regular updates while the Legislature is in session (see below). You can also follow Rep Shea by checking in on his legislative web site at: Shea .

Warm regards,

Jim Robinson
Legislative Assistant to

Matt Shea

State Representative
4th Legislative District
(360) 786-7984

I wrote my reps with an alternate background check proposal:

TO: Representative Cathy Dahlquist

CC: Representative Christopher Hurst
Senator Pam Roach

STREET ADDRESS:
EMAIL:
PHONE:

BILL: 1588 (Against)

SUBJECT: 1588 Alternative

MESSAGE: While I believe no felons, minors, and involuntarily committed persons, should be eligible to possess firearms; there is a better way to perform the necessary background checks than what is listed in HB1588. Simply have the department of licensing perform a background check during drivers license renewal, and mark on that license whether or not the person is eligible to own a firearm. This would go onto everyone's license; therefore you wouldn't be singling out gun owners. The mark can be made on the back under the "RESTRICTIONS:" section, something like F - Firearms Restricted.

Then make it illegal for anyone to sell a firearm to someone without verifying their drivers license firearms eligibility. If a person does not have a drivers license or similar type ID card, then a background check through a dealer or the chief of police or sheriff would be warranted.

If a person becomes ineligible by committing a felony or being committed, their drivers license would be revoked and they would need to get an updated replacement.

Sincerely,

RESPONSE: has requested a response to this message.

Hmm that is fascinating idea if we had to have something go through I would much prefer that idea although I'm sure people would complain and say it could be a violation of privacy because several place check your ID I'm sure people would be worried it would lead to discrimination

Hmm that is fascinating idea if we had to have something go through I would much prefer that idea although I'm sure people would complain and say it could be a violation of privacy because several place check your ID I'm sure people would be worried it would lead to discrimination

Having the restriction listed on the back should limit the discrimination factor. Usually when someone needs to see my ID they don't flip it over to read the information on the back.

Sounds great. Should apply your idea across the board...When buying from a dealer too. It would simplify the whole process when buying a gun and not having to put up with all the delays from nics... That just in itself would make it worth while.

Sounds great. Should apply your idea across the board...When buying from a dealer too. It would simplify the whole process when buying a gun and not having to put up with all the delays from nics... That just in itself would make it worth while.

Also I might add, there might be a problem having the dept of licensing do a background check on everyones drivers license...That being the added cost to those who dont want the background check.

Also I might add, there might be a problem having the dept of licensing do a background check on everyones drivers license...That being the added cost to those who dont want the background check.

There would be an additional cost, a quick crunching of the numbers would put it at about $7.5 million a year. This sounds like a lot, but the state budget is $33 billion, that puts it at about 0.0002% of the state budget. With roughly 4.5 million drivers license in WA, the cost could be easily recouped by adding $7.00 to everyone's license renewal fee. Remember this fee is only paid once every 4 years, and it could be easily justified to gun owners and non-gun owners as a public safty enhacement.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top