JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm curious about building up an AK and I am wondering if AK kits are legal in Washington, can anyone clarify that?

In Washington it is illegal to transfer or posses 'machine gun parts'. It would seem that a AK kit, most of which contain one or more fully automatic parts, would be illegal. Just having it sent to you would be a violation.

Here's another aspect. AK's are legally sold in Washington but most contain the bolt from a former fully automatic firearm. How are these legal?

There must be something I'm missing about Washington law, but I've looked and even asked a lawyer and didn't get an answer. Thanks.

Steve

This one gets a lot of bad rap. I am not a lawyer, but in reading the law this is the phrase used:

"It is unlawful for any person to manufacture, own, buy, sell, loan, furnish, transport, or have in possession or under control, any machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle; or any part designed and intended solely and exclusively for use in a machine gun,"

RCW 9.41.220
Unlawful firearms and parts contraband.

All machine guns, short-barreled shotguns, or short-barreled rifles, or any part designed and intended solely and exclusively for use in a machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, or in converting a weapon into a machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, illegally held or illegally possessed are hereby declared to be contraband, and it shall be the duty of all peace officers, and/or any officer or member of the armed forces of the United States or the state of Washington, to seize said machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, or parts thereof, wherever and whenever found.

The SOLELY part means (to me) that a full auto bolt is fine if it also works in a semi, but a full auto seer (Or other full auto part that has no place on semi gun) is contraband.

Hope this helps.

Vern thanks for the response, that was the exact sentence I've been struggling with. Your comment about a dual use part makes sense.

Any ideas on my other question regarding 'solely' auto parts? Thanks.

Vern thanks for the response, that was the exact sentence I've been struggling with. Your comment about a dual use part makes sense.

Any ideas on my other question regarding 'solely' auto parts? Thanks.

Some AK kits contain an auto sear and a rate reducer. They are solely for the full-auto version and should be discarded when building a semi-auto. (I gave mine to Coctailer)

They are the only parts that aren't immediately identifiable as the trigger or hammer, or disconnector.

9, 10, 11, 12 are the auto parts.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads