JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It looks like someone is fed up with the WDFW and their policies.........

Initiatives & Referendums - Elections & Voting - WA Secretary of State (see those by Kenneth Morrow)

I1632-Majority Rights in Choosing Fish & Wildlife Commissioners
https://sos.wa.gov/_assets/elections/initiatives/finaltext_1495.pdf

Not yet Assigned-The Abolition of the Organization Known as Fish & Wildlife
https://sos.wa.gov/_assets/elections/initiatives/362018104644am_357.pdf

Not yet Assigned-Fly Fishing Catch & Release is Unconstitutional
https://sos.wa.gov/_assets/elections/initiatives/362018105021am_357.pdf

There's a couple I just might get behind..............

Ray

That's just simple nonsense... it's like they popped out of 17th century England and decided that the time and place reflects Washington...
Fly Fishing only and catch and release is there to sustain native and endangered species as well as a place where fly fishermen have better odds.
Fly anglers more often than not have a more difficult time catching fish in water bodies where gear and bait is allowed. Fly anglers are also far less prone to polluting water bodies, so that is a factor.

I do agree that more riparian habit needs to be created, and they're avoiding any sort of actual work when it comes to improving wildlife and fish habitat. Dams and ocean conditions are also a huge factor in declining salmon populations, which ODFW/WDFW has little to no control over. Getting rid of dams would probably be enough to make the difference.

That's just simple nonsense... it's like they popped out of 17th century England and decided that the time and place reflects Washington...
Fly Fishing only and catch and release is there to sustain native and endangered species as well as a place where fly fishermen have better odds.
Fly anglers more often than not have a more difficult time catching fish in water bodies where gear and bait is allowed. Fly anglers are also far less prone to polluting water bodies, so that is a factor.

I do agree that more riparian habit needs to be created, and they're avoiding any sort of actual work when it comes to improving wildlife and fish habitat. Dams and ocean conditions are also a huge factor in declining salmon populations, which ODFW/WDFW has little to no control over. Getting rid of dams would probably be enough to make the difference.

I like fly fishing, but then again I like gear and bait fishing also, so in my own way (and I could be totally off base here), I can kind of understand where he's coming from about WDFW creating "special class" of fishermen, as you have those zealots (Wild Fish Conservancy) out there, who have filed law suits to take fishing opportunities away from other fishermen, because they hate hatchery fish, those who like to catch them and any type of fishing that is not fly fishing. This group is trying to shut down every hatchery, because they think the everyone should only like what they like: sore mouthing fish using only a fly rod and if he's doing this to push back against them, then I'm all for it and will sign it. If one or more of those extremists infiltrated the WDFW Fish and Wildlife Commission, it could be disastrous to those fishermen who like to eat some or most of their catch.

Honestly, if a certain species of fish is that "endangered", then they should shut that fishery down for all, until it recovers and not everyone except the "special class" of fishermen.

Ray

I would classify bull trout as an endangered species overall, but not in some fisheries. The Metolius river is such a fishery, and supports abundant numbers of trophy fish, but most of the fishable water is fly fishing only. The only reason such a fishery exists is because of catch and release regulations. The Metolius attracts a lot of tourism that wouldn't exist without the trophy fish population. The lower portion which is on a steep gradient is open to gear fishing, and people do well with spinners. For every fly fishing only river, there are 20 open to gear, at least half of which are open to use of bait. I would consider the economic benefits more beneficial than keeping a few trout.
Fly fishing is hardly an economic divide now days, but it is far less effective in most circumstances. You wouldn't want to fly fish to feed your family, unless you were on a small creek.
The biggest economic burden is in purchasing tags, permits and licensing, so I would target that before a particular method of fishing.

I understand what you're saying tho, but I doubt many out there want to limit access to the sport and destroy support for improving and maintaining fisheries.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top