Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

WA State HB 1703 Tax on Firearms and Ammo introduced

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by svxr8dr, Feb 6, 2013.

1. svxr8dr

svxr8dr Vancouver, WA OathKeeper #004404

HB 1703 - 2013-14

Sponsors:Representatives Jinkins, Farrell, Morris, Cody, Kagi, Wylie, Roberts, Pollet, Ryu, Bergquist, Fey, Hunt, Tarleton, Fitzgibbon

1 cent per bullet, between $15 and $25 per gun, misdeameanor for the seller not to collect said tax

State would also track total number of guns and ammunition sold

2. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Nope.

3. Morpheus

Morpheus Columbia Gorge Anyway, back on the farm.

OK, so taxing ammo and/or firearm purchases above and beyond normal sales tax? Hmm. OK. So where does that tax go? Does it go to a firearm education program which will be free for everyone to partake in? How about local municipal gun ranges?

Or what about going towards providing PTSD therapy for our soldiers coming home?

As a whole, I'm not opposed to a sales tax but I want it very clearly spelled out. I want a state wide vote required to put into place and to change it. And I want to know exactly where every dollar goes to.

As for collecting from person to person sales, no. Sorry. Piss off. :)

4. mortar maggot

mortar maggot western wa Active Member

They won't quit, they will keep trying at all places they think they can make a new anti-gun law.

mancat and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Kable

Kable Lynnwood Active Member

This is unconstitutional, you can't tax a right its already been ruled things like poll taxes are unconstitutional. Sadly Kagi is one of my reps, I guess my letters aren't clear enough when I say no more gun legislation

6. Flash

Flash Vancouver Member

Well I have already written and told them what I think, You cant tax a constitutional right!
    When I was in 7th grade the NRA gave a class for 1/4 in place of PE. Everyone had to take it. They tracked the kids that took the class and that age group had no accidents over a 20 year span. Then some parent didn't want there kid taking a class on guns and it was discontinued. Any that is what we were told why the gun safety class was discontinued. As a side note when I was in 6th grade, I would take my 20ga. to school and put it in the teachers closet and after school would get the shot gun and go on the buss home with a friend that lived on a farm that had a small lake on the property, we duck hunted all weekend. How things have changed!:rofl1:

7. zeppelin

zeppelin Benton County WA Active Member

State initiative 1185 passed in 2012 mandates a 2/3 vote in congress or a vote put to the people to raise taxes. Good luck with that.

8. twigg107

twigg107 Port Orchard New Member

Click the link and look at the bold writing

9. Heidland

Heidland SW Washington Active Member

Actually if you read it, it's not that terrible.

Here is the actual bill: HB 1703

I have issues with paying additional fees and taxes on anything that is already covered by a sales tax...but that happens every time you fill up with gas, and ask someone who buys hard alcohol or a smoker how they feel. Smokers pay something like $3.50 a pack in additional taxes...before sales tax, so they pay more in sales tax.

And I don't really have an issue with tracking the retail sales of firearms. Doing so would provide accurate metrics and statistics for folks like me to use in the fight against the anti-gun people. Being able to illustrate with hard numbers the fact that our state has seen a significant increase in legal ownership while at the same time experienced a significant decrease in firearm crime; that's the type of info that invalidates the emotional/fear driven blather we are seeing right now.

10. xm193

xm193 seatac Active Member

The power to tax is the power to destroy,” wrote John Marshall supreme court

rur862, Grunwald, chariot13 and 3 others like this.
  11. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

What a bunch if namby panby crap, terrible is terrible

12. Kevinkris

Kevinkris Aloha Well-Known Member

it doesnt seem terrible, they need to make more specific terms of the funds use. looks like they can put it towards just about anything stupid, the only real thing that needs to be done with it is firearms handling classes though.

13. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

Why oh why do our own people give in and say "oh this is ok"? The correct answer is NO! Don't give them an inch, this a constitutional right, stop letting it be chipped away. The correct way to win a fight is to take back ground you have lost not to give away ground you already have.

rur862, Nwcid, Redcap and 12 others like this.
  14. madmax

madmax woodburn Active Member

Yes we are our own enemeies

In new your city it's over $10 for a pack of smokes!

It's 1 cent the first year and 2 the next year. Taxes always go up! Never go away

15. Redcap

Not just "no", but "F___ NO!"

16. Diamondback

Diamondback A cold, wet green Hell Well-Known Member

Fixed it for you, sir. :)

Redcap, Oklahomie, Nwcid and 5 others like this.
  17. Redcap

Much appreciated. You are a scholar and a gentleman.

18. RICKRWS

RICKRWS VANCOUVER Active Member

Obama Lovers Eat Sh_t! :laugh:

19. duane black

duane black Washington Well-Known Member

THIS

I lived it.

I will never agree to one more restriction on my civil rights. NOT ONE ! Once you give them up, its near impossible to get them back.

Government doesn't give up power once it takes it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

20. mancat

mancat Kitsap County Well-Known Member

That's why they'll call it a fee or surcharge.