JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
First time purchasing a pistol in WA state, my FFL told me it's not a " instant background" like Oregon and that the FBI no longer does NCIC checks anymore for WA state since 2019. He said the local police does them now. Just wondering how much validity there is to this? I have no reason to doubt him. Just trying to understand the process. I was told it could take a few days or so..

Thanks,

Certainly, the NEW AND IMPROVED background checks etc..... have made things SAFER for the people of WA (and the entire Nation)?

Rrrrright.......
i-m-from-the-government-i-m-here-to-help.png

When I first moved here (from HI).....it was GREAT to taste FREEDOM. Now a days......I just figure, BOHICA. People don't call it the LEFT COAST for nothing.

Until there is some real change in OLYMPIA's thinking.....

It is what it is.

Aloha, Mark

To answer the question, yes, due to some laws past in the last couple of years, the background checks are done by the state. I believe they have up to 10 days to respond and, theoretically, if the dealer hasn't gotten a negative in that time they can release the firearm. Though there are reports that some dealers won't release until they get an affirmative from the police.

Rifles, shotguns, frames, receivers same day nice
Semi Auto rifles, min 10 wait
Handguns, as soon as Local LE approves the transaction. Today, Vancouver PD sent us several in 2 days. The sheriff's office is around 10 days.

And having a concealed pistol permit no longer expedites the process.

Mandatory delay even though you've already passed a comprehensive background check to get one.

OP is correct when It comes to
Hand guns & semi auto rifles
stripped & assembled lowers // Bolt guns & shot guns are still done with nics but not for much longer

My girlfriend bought a kimber micro 9 from bi mart in cheney. August 24 paperwork filled out, expired 30 days later, re done paperwork, 2 weeks later called bi mart, they said something wasn't right , 2 weeks wasted, did paperwork again and she finally got to pick it up yesterday, the 23rd of october

First time purchasing a pistol in WA state, my FFL told me it's not a " instant background" like Oregon and that the FBI no longer does NCIC checks anymore for WA state since 2019. He said the local police does them now. Just wondering how much validity there is to this? I have no reason to doubt him. Just trying to understand the process. I was told it could take a few days or so..

Thanks,
I live in Seattle and purchased a lever action rifle recently and my background check took 8 days to come back. However, I am not a citizen, but a legal resident (Green Card holder) and that could had added to my delay. My friend from Seattle purchased a hand gun this Tuesday and she is still waiting for her background check to clear. WA background check are definitely much slower these days than they used to be. Good Luck!
Dan

Took me 8 business days for the approval to pick up 3 pistols. I live in Pierce county. My FFL said another guy is waiting longer for just ONE! Maybe having a non-typical name helps weed through similar named people, as another poster in another thread stated. First time buying pistols in WA, too.

Rifles, shotguns, frames, receivers same day nice
Semi Auto rifles, min 10 wait
Handguns, as soon as Local LE approves the transaction. Today, Vancouver PD sent us several in 2 days. The sheriff's office is around 10 days.

I bought a another firearm, started my background on the 22nd and have been chasing my FFL around. It's been 12 days now... This is insanity.

If this was your first firearms purchase okay.. Vet the person.. But when you already own a collection is pure discrimination against the 2nd amendment.

The whole point of gun control laws, promoted in WA. by billionaire Nick Hanauer founder of the Alliance for Gun (Control) Safety is to make it complicated and hard for legitimate people to buy and own guns. It does nothing to stop criminal misuse.

I just purchased a Henry rifle at Bass Pro Shop in Tacoma. The background check came back in three minutes and I was on my way out the door. The background check for the handgun purchase at the same time came back in 7 days.

WA state also keeps a copy of the form used when buying pistols or SA rifles. You're in the registry now!
That's fine... You're still afforded legal representation.
The whole point of gun control laws, promoted in WA. by billionaire Nick Hanauer founder of the Alliance for Gun (Control) Safety is to make it complicated and hard for legitimate people to buy and own guns. It does nothing to stop criminal misuse.

They want to make it a huge hassle so next time you contemplate not purchasing anymore. That's their end goal. Offloading the resources onto local police agencies with limited staff. For some illogical reason the FBI NCIS wasn't good enough for the democrats even though the FBI system pulls records from local law enforcement. That's how they designed it!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top