Washington WA state background delay?

Reactions
First time purchasing a pistol in WA state, my FFL told me it's not a " instant background" like Oregon and that the FBI no longer does NCIC checks anymore for WA state since 2019. He said the local police does them now. Just wondering how much validity there is to this? I have no reason to doubt him. Just trying to understand the process. I was told it could take a few days or so..

Thanks,

ma96782

Reactions
Certainly, the NEW AND IMPROVED background checks etc..... have made things SAFER for the people of WA (and the entire Nation)?

Rrrrright.......
i-m-from-the-government-i-m-here-to-help.png

When I first moved here (from HI).....it was GREAT to taste FREEDOM. Now a days......I just figure, BOHICA. People don't call it the LEFT COAST for nothing.

Until there is some real change in OLYMPIA's thinking.....

It is what it is.

Aloha, Mark

To answer the question, yes, due to some laws past in the last couple of years, the background checks are done by the state. I believe they have up to 10 days to respond and, theoretically, if the dealer hasn't gotten a negative in that time they can release the firearm. Though there are reports that some dealers won't release until they get an affirmative from the police.

Reactions
My girlfriend bought a kimber micro 9 from bi mart in cheney. August 24 paperwork filled out, expired 30 days later, re done paperwork, 2 weeks later called bi mart, they said something wasn't right , 2 weeks wasted, did paperwork again and she finally got to pick it up yesterday, the 23rd of october

ddjchemist

Reactions
First time purchasing a pistol in WA state, my FFL told me it's not a " instant background" like Oregon and that the FBI no longer does NCIC checks anymore for WA state since 2019. He said the local police does them now. Just wondering how much validity there is to this? I have no reason to doubt him. Just trying to understand the process. I was told it could take a few days or so..

Thanks,
I live in Seattle and purchased a lever action rifle recently and my background check took 8 days to come back. However, I am not a citizen, but a legal resident (Green Card holder) and that could had added to my delay. My friend from Seattle purchased a hand gun this Tuesday and she is still waiting for her background check to clear. WA background check are definitely much slower these days than they used to be. Good Luck!
Dan

Reactions
Took me 8 business days for the approval to pick up 3 pistols. I live in Pierce county. My FFL said another guy is waiting longer for just ONE! Maybe having a non-typical name helps weed through similar named people, as another poster in another thread stated. First time buying pistols in WA, too.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Lead Farm Precision Rifle Match
The Lead Farm
34006 Gwinn Rd, Prosser, WA 99350, USA
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Rimfire Challenge Dec 12th @ DRRC
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Sportsman's Warehouse - Albany
    5.00 star(s)
    Good products at good prices with friendly and knowledgeable staff!
    We like to visit the Albany location as it's closer but have been to several others and they have all been great!:D
  • Umpqua Survival
    4.00 star(s)
    Easy NFA transfer
    I had a silencer transferred through their shop. The paperwork was quick and the staff helpful and friendly. Whilst waiting, I did see a nice...
  • MK Tactical
    5.00 star(s)
    Awesome staff
    Being new to the area and having just made an online purchase of an AR lower, I opted to use MK Tactical as my FFL, without knowing anything about...
  • J&B Firearm Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    Good local shop
    Picked up a rifle yesterday from J&B. This was the second or third gun purchase over the last few years from them. I always enjoy stopping by...
  • H&K Gun Shop
    5.00 star(s)
    The only place I have found 9mm in stock
    I’ll admit I didn’t even know this place existed, as I don’t tend to go into Forest Grove often. But it’s a giant (looks bigger from the...
Top Bottom