JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
US federal:

...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

As everyone knows, this was affirmed as an individual right applying to the States in McDonald v Chicago, 2010.

WA state:

SECTION 24 RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS. The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired...

This was upheld by the WA Supreme Court in State v. Christopher William Sieyes, where the constitutionality of WA firearm laws was challenged, although frustratingly the Court was vague on the level of regulation that would pass scrutiny.

Turning to the question of whether RCW 9.41.040(2)(a)(iii) is constitutional, the Court declined to apply the traditional levels of scrutiny to firearm regulation. The Court voiced agreement with Heller -- that strict scrutiny would invalidate most infringements on the Second Amendment, while a rational basis test would set too low a standard to protect the right to bear arms. "We follow Heller in declining to analyze RCW 9.41.040(2)(a)(iii) under any level of scrutiny. Instead we look to the Second Amendment's original meaning, the traditional understanding of the right, and the burden imposed on children by upholding the statute." Justice Sanders acknowledged the Court's "occasional rhetoric" about the "reasonable regulation" of firearms, but argued the Court has never settled on a precise standard of review.

However, the Court found that Christopher Sieyes made inadequate arguments on whether the law was unconstitutional. "In sum appellant offers no convincing authority supporting his argument that Washington's limit on childhood firearm possession violates the United States or Washington Constitutions. Accordingly we keep our powder dry on this issue for another day." The Supreme Court held that Sieyes failed to demonstrate that the statute was an unconstitutional violation of his right to possess a gun. The case was remanded for consideration of additional issues.

Gun rights advocates will see this as a partial missed opportunity. After the landmark ruling in Heller, the Washington Supreme Court asked the parties in Sieyes to address whether the Second Amendment applies to the states and the appropriate standard of scrutiny for evaluating firearm regulations. Justice Sanders has long railed against the Court's reliance on "reasonable regulation" of gun rights, and no doubt wanted to go further in clarifying the court's jurisprudence. Thus his criticisms of the appellant for inadequately briefing some of these constitutional issues. Even so, the Court firmly holds that the Washington Constitution protects the individual right to bear arms.

Given both of those developments in the last six months, has anyone in Olympia asked Attorney General McKenna (allegedly a pro-2A Republican who has provided numerous gun related opinions in the past few years) for an analysis of which WA firearm laws may now be unconstitutional?

It seems inconsistent that WA has onerous restrictions on items like full auto guns, suppressors and short barrel rifles when constitutionally our rights are equal or better than most states, and are not supposed to be impaired?!

Are there any cases pending in WA on this topic?

You know, this brought up a good question I think. I just wrote the Attorney General and asked exactly what you just proposed. I guess we'll see if he answer little ol' Joe the blue collar worker. Hopefully, if his office does respond it will be written in plain English, I don't speak lawyer myself ;)
Anyway, nothing will change unless people ask questions. That's my motto.

When I wrote to the AG (back when it was Gregorie) about a clarification on 9.41.250, her OMBUDSMAN wrote back telling me silencers were illegal in the USA. When I replied that silencers were not illegal in WA or the US, I was told that the AG does not respond to requests other than legislators and DA's. I was tempted to ask her why she bothered to lie to me then.

Last year when I wrote to the AG about obtaining the same "exemption from prosecution" for silencer use that the police enjoy as a registered silencer owner, his assistant wrote back claiming there was no such thing and that those decisions were left up to the local DA's.

If you want a real reply and not one that blows smoke, it needs to be submitted by someone with power, like your Senator. Good luck. I can't even get a reply from mine (Sheldon) at all about anything.

Ranb

If you want a real reply and not one that blows smoke, it needs to be submitted by someone with power, like your Senator. Good luck.
Ranb

correct, they do not give opinions on laws to the general public, a request has to come from a Senator or House member.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC Member
ACSWW Member

correct, they do not give opinions on laws to the general public, a request has to come from a Senator or House member.

Hmmm... that begs the question, What "law" or regulation says that they only have to give a response to 147 people (reps and senators) in the state? Taken on its face it certainly seems like an "elitist" attitude towards the citizens they supposedly "serve".

I'm not sure if what I quoted below is codified in law, but here is part of what the AG does and does not do.

<broken link removed>
What the Attorney General’s Office Does:

Advises the Governor, members of the Legislature, other state officers, and county prosecutors on legal issues.
Gives formal written attorney general’s opinions on constitutional or legal questions at the request of designated public officials.
Represents the public interest in utility matters and energy facility siting.

What does the Attorney General’s Office NOT do?

The Attorney General’s Office is not authorized to provide advice to private citizens on personal legal matters. While the office may answer questions of a general nature, most private issues require a detailed analysis of the law, and such services are outside the scope of the office’s authority.

Ranb

Well, I gave it a shot and this is the response I received back:

Mr. Byers,
After reviewing your inquiry, I suggest you submit your concerns to members of your Legislative delegation. The issues you raise will require a change/clarification of state law and thus require legislative action. Please let me know if you need anything additional.
Sincerely,
Hunter Graham Goodman
ASSISTANT ATTORNEY GENERAL | DIRECTOR OF GOVERNMENTAL AFFAIRS
WASHINGTON STATE ATTORNEY GENERAL'S OFFICE
800 Fifth Avenue Suite 2000 | Seattle, WA 98104
Ph: 206.389.2733 | Fax: 206.389.2115

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show