JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Washington attorney general seeks legislation banning assault weapons
OLYMPIA — Attorney General Bob Ferguson, joined by a broad coalition of over 50 community leaders and elected officials, today announced he will submit agency request legislation in the 2017 session to ban assault weapons and high-capacity magazines.

The bill would ban weapons like the AR-15 used to kill three teens and wound another at a party in Mukilteo in July. Reports indicate that the shooter used a 30-round magazine in that incident, which would also be banned under Ferguson's proposal.

Ferguson's proposed legislation has two key elements:

• A ban on semiautomatic weapons with military-style features that render them more easily concealable or more deadly; and
  • A limit on magazine capacity — currently unlimited under Washington law — to a maximum of 10 rounds of ammunition.
"The recent tragedy in Mukilteo drives home the need to act with urgency to end the availability of weapons designed with only one purpose — to kill people," Ferguson said. "I have a duty to protect the public, as well as uphold the constitution. My proposal will ban some of the deadliest weapons, while respecting the Second Amendment right to bear arms."

Sen. David Frockt (D-46) and Sen. Kevin Ranker (D-40) are working with Ferguson to craft the legislation. The proposal will be modeled after successful assault weapon laws in other states, such as New York and Connecticut. The courts have determined these states' bans to be constitutional.

Unlike the bans in some other states, Ferguson's proposal targets only sales, grandfathering current gun ownership. The legislation would not require registration of existing weapons.

On July 30, three more young people were killed when a troubled 19-year-old opened fire on a party in Mukilteo — reportedly using an AR-15, a military-style semiautomatic weapon that would be restricted under Ferguson's proposal.

This legislation will save lives.

A review of mass shootings between January 2009 and January 2013 by Mayors Against Illegal Guns found that incidents where assault weapons or large capacity ammunition magazines were used resulted in 135% more people shot and 57% more killed, compared to other mass shootings.

When a gunman terrorized Seattle Pacific University with a double-barreled shotgun in 2014, student John Meis heroically tackled and disarmed the gunman while he was reloading. Even more Washingtonians might have been shot if this weapon held more rounds and had the assault-style features of the alleged Mukilteo shooter's weapon.

A recent poll presented by Washington Ceasefire and Ceasefire Oregon showed that 65 percent of adults in the two states — including a great many gun owners — favor an assault weapons ban and want lawmakers to act.

Attorney General Ferguson will file this legislation in December.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Time to call your Senators and Rep.'s

AG Comment line: 1-800-541-7340

AG Comment online: Assault Weapons Proposal | Washington State

• A ban on semiautomatic weapons with military-style features that render them more easily concealable or more deadly; and
How does features make one semiautomatic firearm more deadly than another?
How does features make them more easily concealable when there's already Federal NFA laws about barrels less than 16" and OALs of less than 26"? The smallest legal non-SBR AR15 Rifle is still greater than 30" fully collapsed, to the best of my knowledge. Merely being able to take them apart does not make them more deadly, it takes time to reassemble the halves.
An AR or AK are not easy to conceal for the legal rifles. Even the "Pistols" are also not as easily concealed as a standard Glock 33rd handgun.

• A limit on magazine capacity — currently unlimited under Washington law — to a maximum of 10 rounds of ammunition.
And this would have made a difference in the shooting, how?
I am going to guess that this would exempt the Police from the magazine/firearm type of restrictions/bans..

How does features make one semiautomatic firearm more deadly than another?
How does features make them more easily concealable when there's already Federal NFA laws about barrels less than 16" and OALs of less than 26"?
The smallest legal non-SBR AR15 Rifle is still greater than 30" fully collapsed, to the best of my knowledge. Merely being able to take them apart does not make them more deadly, it takes time to reassemble the halves.
An AR or AK are not easy to conceal for the legal rifles. Even the "Pistols" are also not as easily concealed as a standard Glock 33rd handgun.

And this would have made a difference in the shooting, how?
I am going to guess that this would exempt the Police from the magazine/firearm type of restrictions/bans..

In other words, whatever ban they have kicking around includes restrictions on folding and collapsible stocks.

Criminals%20Obey%20the%20law.jpg

Aloha, Mark

Problem is, Dumber Than Bob got 52% in the primary--the Everett-Seattle-Tacoma-Olympia Axis of Sh*tweasel will probably keep him there by hook or crook for as long as he wants the job or until some scandal makes him unpalatable, though the latter is exceedingly unlikely.

It goes to show how confident they are that they would be saying this right before an election... Normally they would play themselves off as a lover of the 2A, then turn once elected. It tells me they are either way overplaying there hands, or they know that they will get there way... We need to vote these people out! I hope if you are a gun owner that believes in the 2A that you will abandon the democrat party in droves. (And any other party that it's candidate supports this type of BS)

There used to be a saying in Louisiana about "only way to end a politico's career is catch 'em in bed with a dead girl or a live boy." I'm not sure even THAT would make a difference... hell, to these people their chosen could perform ritual human sacrifice on their own children with KOMO/KING/KIRO cameras covering the whole thing and they'd somehow Doublethink it into a virtue...

Sorry to y'all in the flowpath, but Mt. Rainier can't blow its top and wash the Kommie Klepto Kult into the Sound soon enough.

And yet.... our firearms loving "brethren" on these forums will continue to vote "D" straight down the line, because they "vote on other things besides the 2A"... :rolleyes:

That is so dead bang spot-on I can't top it with my usual wit and prose :D
I get so tired of people who vote "D" and then wonder why their gun rights are always under attack. You have to wonder if such people are really smart enough to safely handle firearms.

We know that Oregon's Governor is submitting mag limitation legislation. And you can be sure that Ginny Burdick will submit an AR ban to go with it. Hillary brought the attack on the 2nd Amendment to the front lines and Bloomberg is buying off the elected officials to push it through.

I mean, who could not see this coming? Washington is doomed, sorry. Its just a decade or two behind California. It is a liberal controlled left wing state.

I am not saying we should not fight, But such a blue state will eventually end up with blue laws.

Washington is the 7th most liberal state in the nation (right under California and Oregon on the list coincidentally)

Honestly what I think is going to happen in the coming decades is blue states get bluer and red states get redder as sensible people flee the loss of liberty in blue controlled states.

Not saying I like it but.... Ya'll are doomed.

Did I tell you I bought a house in Idaho?

I wish I was wrong. I wish I could see the tide turning and liberty becoming important to the masses. I wish I could see a future where common sense and rights are held in high regard

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads