JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not sure what you mean by more respect... did he disrespect him?

No, I didn't. He has the same problem I do - reading comprehension.

Ranb et. al. thanks for the clarification on dates. Doesn't really matter, IMO. An extra 22 days isn't going to cause me any grief. My Ti-Rant should be here by then; I just hope my FNP-45 Tactical is.

All amended laws take effect 90 days after the session ends, unless they were designated as emergency legislation like the bill banning SBS/SBR.. The session ends on April 24th, 90 days later is the 23th of July. Not everyone is going to understand that silencers or their use is legal, better bring a copy of your ATF form and RCW 9.41.250c (as amended) when you travel or use the silencer.

Ranb

Most likely, the WSP will publish a bulletin that'll (hopefully!) get pushed down to local agencies explaining the change, it should be discussed during in-service training as well as at roll in the near future. If any of you are friendly with a Chief or Sr administrator in local law, you'd be doing your fellow gun owners a service by passing on the word.

Now, since you're "merely" in accordance with the Fed when traveling with copies of your stamp and form, AND the legislation specifically stipulates "...possed in accordance with Federal law...", don't you suppose from this point on out we should be hammering the point home that responsible firearms owners should be prepared to show and be compliant with the paperwork?

Hey Bud, can you show a little more respect to the man who made this happen?

SF-
"...the man who made this happen.."

Ranb might be a bigger fish in this particular pond, and I don't fish in this one too often, but, there's a lot of ponds out there.

An extra 22 days isn't going to cause me any grief.

It is causing me considerable grief, or was. :) I am writing this from Las Vegas. I stored half of my silencers here so I could use them while visiting my brother. I went to the Clark County shooting park to test my new 17 cal can and heat up my 338 mag, AK and 510 whisper cans this morning. They are all coming home with me next week where they will gather dust for another 3 months while I wait for July 23rd.

Ranb

It is causing me considerable grief, or was. :) I am writing this from Las Vegas. I stored half of my silencers here so I could use them while visiting my brother. I went to the Clark County shooting park to test my new 17 cal can and heat up my 338 mag, AK and 510 whisper cans this morning. They are all coming home with me next week where they will gather dust for another 3 months while I wait for July 23rd.

Ranb

At least they'll come home :)

Last time I was in Vegas I shot the SAW they had at The Gun Store and got the flu (Flu A.) So basically my trip was a wash.

90 days until this becomes law, just enough time to file for my first can :D

Thanks for all the work you guys involved did, it's nice to see "change" at the hands of the people. April 11th, a day to remember.

So where were all those other ponds up in testifying on TV?

I asked Brian Blake to run the bill. He did. He also garnered a lot of support, as did I, prior to the bill being drafted late last year. Lots of conversations behind the scenes, keeping things on track while other folks were saying "the bill is in trouble."

Attended the final hearing, ready to speak, Kline only allowed one person.

Been involved with HB 1016 since June of last year when Brian Blake stopped by for beer, asking what I would like to have run. I gave him a list, and at the top was suppressor use. SBR's were down the list. We talked about it, and ran with it.

As things progressed and were going well, it was neat to see all of the support we received, especially starting with a D introducing the bill, with a great amount of bipartisan support. Support we got from others was awesome.

The SBR bills were recently drafted. Notice the 23 folks supporting it? Very similar process. It won't be as easy as suppressors.

Posting stuff on the internet from others was a big help, but there is a lot of work behind the scenes that goes on that lays the groundwork for our success.

Need proof of these other ponds?
HB10162011-04-11LB_8715.jpg
The guy, third from the left, no jacket, no tie. That's me at the signing for HB 1016. I'll wear a tie for the SBR bill signing. (Just intended to watch, but Brian pulled me into the pic)

Hopefully that is enough of a credential for you, NWcid, that there are bigger fish in bigger ponds than here.

As we move forward with the SBR bills, I would ask that folks don't freak out because something doesn't happen immediately. As I have said many times in other places, these bills are cool for us, but there are many more important issues out there than SBR's. Don't kid yourselves.

We need to present ourselves as intelligent folks. Show up to the hearings clean and professional, wear a nice shirt, comb your hair, no camo, no t-shirts. We need to present a consistent message, these items are HIGHLY regulated firearms with stringent background checks.

Please don't call up NRA, or Ceasefire and get them involved. It will only muddy the waters. Bring in NRA, and in comes Ceasefire, Brady, and all of those other anti groups. As with the suppressor legislation, SBR's need to be a grass roots operation.

We are looking for a core group of folks to help with the SBR process. Folks with legislative experience and contacts are a plus. Public speaking. LEO or .mil experience is a plus. Want to help? Let me know how you can help. We'll use you one way or the other.

We were lucky on suppressors, SBR's will be a whole different ball game.

Andy.

We need to present ourselves as intelligent folks. Show up to the hearings clean and professional, wear a nice shirt, comb your hair, no camo, no t-shirts. We need to present a consistent message, these items are HIGHLY regulated firearms with stringent background checks.

X2.....................in other words, a conservative mainstream appearance.

In my work on HB1016, I found that there were a bunch of people in different parts of the internet working away on it. Granted it was obvious some people were just regurgitating what they saw other places... But even that helps spread the word. I personally spent roughly 2 hours a day working on this over the course of 3 months. Some days it was phone calls, somedays it was letters, somedays it was meeting with real people.

I mainly tried to just inform people of progress and did my own thing. I did contact Brain Judy of the NRA, but basically just to get a article posted on the NRA-ILA feed to get people involved. He did inform me in one of our conversations that Kline was very anti NRA and that they felt they should take a back seat. It made sence to me... I do think alot of people were worrying over nothing. This all seemed to go through in a speedy fashion. I think alot of it was the simplicity of it. One line change, nothing that could really be complained about. Getting bills with lots of lines, lots of definitions, is what gets things shot down and or worse opens them up to be amended for the worst case. IE more damage than good.

I have no doubt that there was alot of work done to lay ground work before I ever got involved. I definatly came to the party late so to speak. It was interesting to watch the whole process, and I do believe I got to be almost friends with some people in the process. The further the bill got the less work I had to do to find information. People actually CC'd me in on stuff or called. I even got a tenitive meeting with Chris G scheduled, But while I was listening on speaker phone while my relative set up the meeting with her assistant. We were told that the Gov was indeed signing the bill before our scheduled meeting day and asked if we still needed the meeting.

I am looking forward to the SBR work. I'd like to see the bill as drafted. I haven't been on here in a while, trying to catch up on work I should have been doing the last few months. ;)

What is the argument to keep SBR's illegal?

is it(in order of importance):
a)Easier to conceal?
b)No sporting use?
c)Louder?

Yet, Ar pistols, Ak pistols are fine, and even easier to conceal and even less sporting use. I'd hate to see it backfire, and get those taken off the market for us as well.

Here are the new bills. HB 2098 - 2011-12 (SBR only) HB 2099 - 2011-12 (SBS/SBR) I guess 2098 is a backup in case someone objects too much to sawed-off shotguns, but I am not sure.

There are some people organizing a meeting with Blake after the session is over. It will probably be sometime in May as far as I know. They said I would be invited to attend. There are lots of other things they are are working on at the moment. Dogfish/Ameso is the force behind the effort at <broken link removed> so I am deferring to him right now as he seems to have contacts in Olympia that will be valuable.

As far as I know there is no argument to keep SBR/SBS illegal other than the insane "who needs a sawed off shotgun" crap.. The Washington State assault weapons ban of 1994 in Olympia also included SBS and SBR. The AWB portion was taken out of the bill due to objections by WA gun owners. I am not sure why the SBS/SBR ban was kept in. Once something is banned, it is hard to get unbanned.

I think we can convince Olympia that SBS/SBR are not a threat to public safety and that restrictions should be eased. The hardest thing to do will be to convince the Senate and House leaders that bill 2099 is worth their time when they literally have several thousand other bills that sponsors want heard in commmittee. It will probably be a multi-year effort at least, but we should prevail.

Ranb

I actually found the bills on Wa.Leg.Gov shortly after I posted the above. It's curious that they made two bills with just the small change. I'm guessing they will intro companion bills on this a well. Maybe not. The nice thing about companion bills is that we get a grasp on and know atleast some of the supporters before the bill moves forward at all. Finding companion bill sponsors gives you a check list of who we need to work on and who is already on our side.

As far as it taking a multi year effort. Maybe, but as I look over articles from all over the country on a daily basis I find that firearms legislation has been going in our favor quickly all over the country. Things like constitutional carry, suppressor laws in many states, castle doctrines, etc... I do believe this is a good time to work on this. Much as the internet is bringing people closer and the world is getting smaller because of it. Yes I am aware the internet isn't "new". But it is evolving and more people are getting online and getting online more often. People are more aware of news and events. People that are into hobbies and causes and even firearms are becoming a closer knit family. As a result of the Washington firearms suppressor change. There is a grassroots effort back in Michian where I am from to do the same.

SWF, everybody appreciates all of the help you were, as well as RanB and others. It wasn't a one person battle to get this done. Trust me.

I talked with Brian Blake today, and once the session is over we will have a meeting of a core group of people, including RanB, who will help shape the direction of the SBR bill. The goal is to do this in an organized manner, using all of the resources we can muster. As RanB said elsewhere, it is nice to know folks were working on the issue in other forums and media. Things don't just happen on the internet though.

Our request right now is just to have folks thank their reps for voting on the suppressor issue, as well as supporting the SBR/SBS issue.

Now that there are a lot of us who know each other because of this last process, we can band together to make this effort as successful as possible. Please, no lone wolf efforts. There is plenty of time for us to get the work done. Please be patient.

Please keep the NRA and other groups out of it. This needs to be a grass roots effort. The last thing we want is to have someone go off and start a small fire that turns into an inferno that can't be put out. Patience.

Dogfish,

I really don't think you read a word I wrote. Or know anything about me or what I have done. Your new here and I am not on any of your other forums. I am not lone wolf out getting the NRA involved and starting fires that can't be put out. I'm not going to pee in your pond or whatever. Thing is it was a effort by "all" even if you were contacted by Brain Blake and asked what you wanted to run. very cool. Glad you have the ear of someone that is partial to "our" cause. Your correct there are bigger issues than our bills. I have said that before on this forum. I do also know that if it wasn't for people calling in and pushing for 1016. It could very well have not made it past calendar cutoffs. I urged people many times to be patient through the 1016 process and not worry. I also know that things happen off the internet. I was a part of that effort as well, one of the reasons I usually had very current info on the progress of 1016 is because I was given unlisted contact numbers for several Reps and Senators due to my work on the issue.

I am all for working together as a group. And I too believe that it will be a while before anyone needs to do anything other than thank people. I don't know any current Reps or Senators here on a personal level like I do back in Michign where I am from. My primary source of info is a family member that has been a part of Washington Legislature in one form or another for 40+ years. I do believe I will get to know several people pretty well over the next few years since I don't intend to ever move back to Michigan. lol

I am not sure what to think about the 2 bills being introduced, it could be bad or good. It concerns me that you came on here and said outright that it was to address two different RCW's and then after someone spent probably a minute looking at the two bills kind of called you out on not knowing what was going on... Shrug. I am just for progress. The first step is done and I thank you for working with Blake to get that done.

I did read what you wrote, and I don't want to get into a pissing match with you. Lots of people were a part of that, and it was acknowledged. What's the issue there? I'm not perfect, neither is RanB, nor you. We all make errors, I owned up to my error. Does that make me tainted for the rest of this process?

I could really care less about being new here, you've been "here" 3 months longer than me, wow, didn't mean to trample on your seniority. Northwest Firearms is not the center of the known world, just so you know. I've run three election campaigns, all successful, have been involved in public speaking for 20 years, and have testified in front of both the senate, and house on a number of issues, as well as many issues relating to WDFW.

If you would specifically like to help, send me an email. Lets work together.

The only issue I have is that you singled me out and basically flat out told me that you didn't want me to damage the progress of SBR legislation. It's not a matter of being recognzed for work done. I went back and read my posts and nothing I said should have made you think thats what I am going to do. Hence my saying you haven't read anything I have posted. It's not a matter of seniority. I think I have been on here long enough that most of the people are atleast familiar with me. My primary use of this site is the NFA section and these issues. People that have been following these issues on here know that doing anything to harm the cause, is the last thing I want or would do.

I'm thinking you took my comment of "keep people informed and doing my own thing" As being this lone wolf. That was a simple statement that was geared toward the fact that in the work of 1016... people like RanB and myself where not aware of a organized front and that's what we were left to do. It was not a comment toward "I am going to do my own thing with SBRs". I applaud the fact that there is going to be a more structured effort. I do believe it will make a big difference in the time it takes to get this passed. I am more than willing to do my part, and I will send a e-mail soon.

As far as you being tainted for the rest of the process. No, I am willing to move past this. You have to understand how coupling your comments toward me with the fact that you are apparently working with Rep Blake on this and didn't know the basic concept of why there are two bills gave me some concern.

-----------------------------

<<Clean Slate>>

Hello my name is Jason....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR