JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I have a trust setup and i feel that around June theyre going to go away with the trust and require Cleo sign-offs roughly. When can you exactly apply for an SBR?, can you apply before the law is active as long as you dont build anything until its law if you recieve your stamp before that date, or do you have to wait until the June something and then file and wait?

I don't know either. I have not looked all the new stuff up, have not had time.

With the speed (lack of) that that ATF works at I would not hesitate to submit an application about 60 days early. There is no way it will actually make it on to an examiners desk for doing anything useful with it by that point.

Obviously if somehow it does make it there for examination prior to the legal WA date they can not approve it. I am sure they are aware of the change and if not a simple note in with your paperwork will not hurt anything.

But if you e file which is the only way to go right now as for time I would probably wait. They take your money right away and you would not want it kicked back for any reason.

I am in the same situation as I want a SBR but do not want to jump into it to soon.

Does anyone know how the process would work if it wanted to shorten the barrel on an existing rifle via a gunsmith?
You would submit the serial # on the rifle to the ATF, along w/ the $200 tax. However, you should not (cannot, legally) possess the rifle (actually, neither can your smith) until the bill is signed into law or you get the approved form back.
Is this an AR15? The upper is not registered...just the lower.
There is a TON of info, specifically on SBR's than might help: http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_6/51_Short_Barrel_Rifles__SBR_.html

You would submit the serial # on the rifle to the ATF, along w/ the $200 tax. However, you should not (cannot, legally) possess the rifle (actually, neither can your smith) until the bill is signed into law or you get the approved form back.
Is this an AR15? The upper is not registered...just the lower. Either way, when you register a rifle you already own, YOU become the 'manufacturer' in a way, and you then must have your name (or trust's) name on the rifle (or lower, if an AR). ATF even addresses the engraving size & depth.
Seems like a lot, but do some research (you have time before the bill is signed) and do it right, with a rifle you're quite happy with, as selling it will require ATF transfers & be not nearly as marketable--so pretty much til death do you part I guess!
There is a TON of info, specifically on SBR's than might help: http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_6/51_Short_Barrel_Rifles__SBR_.html

You would submit the serial # on the rifle to the ATF, along w/ the $200 tax. However, you should not (cannot, legally) possess the rifle (actually, neither can your smith) until the bill is signed into law AND you get the approved form back.
Is this an AR15? The upper is not registered...just the lower.

:D

It wasn't that long ago that there was some challenge to the WA state AOW language. During that time, Tech Branch simply denied the applications. They didn't necessarily put the applications on hold.

So I'm wondering what makes you think the current situation would be any different?

If Tech Branch gets to your application and the green light has not been given for SBR in WA state, wouldn't they simply deny the app as they did previously? r-

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top