Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Wa SBR/SBS question.

Discussion in 'NFA Weapon Discussion' started by e55komp, Mar 10, 2014.

1. e55komp

e55komp tacoma Member

So I have a trust setup and i feel that around June theyre going to go away with the trust and require Cleo sign-offs roughly. When can you exactly apply for an SBR?, can you apply before the law is active as long as you dont build anything until its law if you recieve your stamp before that date, or do you have to wait until the June something and then file and wait?

2. Modeler

Modeler Molalla, Oregon Soccer Fan

I don't know the answer to your question, but it's important to note that the new law only legalizes short barrel rifles, not short barrel shotguns.

3. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

I don't know either. I have not looked all the new stuff up, have not had time.

With the speed (lack of) that that ATF works at I would not hesitate to submit an application about 60 days early. There is no way it will actually make it on to an examiners desk for doing anything useful with it by that point.

Obviously if somehow it does make it there for examination prior to the legal WA date they can not approve it. I am sure they are aware of the change and if not a simple note in with your paperwork will not hurt anything.

4. spectra

spectra The Couve Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

But if you e file which is the only way to go right now as for time I would probably wait. They take your money right away and you would not want it kicked back for any reason.

I am in the same situation as I want a SBR but do not want to jump into it to soon.

5. svxr8dr

svxr8dr Vancouver, WA OathKeeper #004404

Does anyone know how the process would work if it wanted to shorten the barrel on an existing rifle via a gunsmith?

6. jdub75

jdub75 PNW Well-Known Member

You would submit the serial # on the rifle to the ATF, along w/ the $200 tax. However, you should not (cannot, legally) possess the rifle (actually, neither can your smith) until the bill is signed into law or you get the approved form back.
    Is this an AR15? The upper is not registered...just the lower.
    There is a TON of info, specifically on SBR's than might help: http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_6/51_Short_Barrel_Rifles__SBR_.html

7. jdub75

jdub75 PNW Well-Known Member

8. svxr8dr

svxr8dr Vancouver, WA OathKeeper #004404

Thanks for the link and the info!

9. Modeler

Modeler Molalla, Oregon Soccer Fan

:D

10. waltermitty

waltermitty seattle Active Member

It wasn't that long ago that there was some challenge to the WA state AOW language. During that time, Tech Branch simply denied the applications. They didn't necessarily put the applications on hold.

So I'm wondering what makes you think the current situation would be any different?

If Tech Branch gets to your application and the green light has not been given for SBR in WA state, wouldn't they simply deny the app as they did previously? r-