JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am going to take advantage of the new state law and before the fed change to the trust.

My question is, can I just register a lower WITHOUT it being a complete build?

Thanks

So, I CANNOT just register a lower now and add details to it later?

This means that the SBR I register with all the details CANNOT differ from those specs?

Soooooo, your supposed to build it according to what you out in the Form 1. But once it's built you can change it all you want.
Who's to say you didn't build it according to the F1, but then quickly change it?

So, I CANNOT just register a lower now and add details to it later?

This means that the SBR I register with all the details CANNOT differ from those specs?
No, it means that it has to start with those specs. As long as you can return it to those specs, you can change it to whatever suits your fancy. Different calibers and different barrel lengths no problem.

Contacted my NFA dealer and he confirmed that I would go home with the upper, while the lower stays in "jail" until approval/stamp.

FWIW an SBR is an entire gun . Its not just the lower. You can travel interstate with a SBR lower with no paperwork as long as you dont attach a short upper. You can even sell a SBR lower without paperwork ( OK, not in OR or WA ) . You do NOT have to keep the original upper if you change barrels either.

Questions on filling out the form and online account set up;

1) When setting up your online account, can you use a trust or does it have to be an individual? Does not seem like the spaces are set up for anything other than an individual. It would seem like the trust would be what is wanted.

2) When it asks for the mfr, same as above, do you use a trust name or an individual/me? Again, it would seem like the trust would be preferred.

You can not apply online as an individual. Must be as a trust or other business entity.

You and/or your trust are not a manufacturer.

I thought that when I add the stock to a pistol, I became the mfr. Isn't that what all the hoopla in WA state was about?

No. You become a "maker". A Manufacturer is a FFL class.

Yes. After thinking about this more, that was what it was all about. It WAS as if we were the mfr, according to Wa law.
With the change we are now just a maker.

Thanks!!!!

You were always just a maker. Washington law only allowed for manufacturers to build SBR's. Thats why you couldnt build one. You werent a manufacturer. A Manufacturer is an 07 FFL licensee. Its was a slip up in wording between federal law and WA state law. The new wording corrected this.

Only a licensed manufacturer. Manufacturer is a legal term. Kind of like silencer is a legal term. You can be a builder os a maker but unless you have an 07 FFL you are never a manufacturer.

Ah the old form 1 conundrum. First off I have to opine that building a SBR from an 80% is total asshatery. Only good reason to build an 80% anything is to keep it off the books. NFA'ing it soaks that whole plan especially when real receivers can be bought for under $40. My opinion is much like my A hole though. In any case ...

From the form 1:

i. Serial Numbers and other Markings. If an existing firearm is being
modified into an NFA firearm, enter the existing serial number of the
firearm into item 4g and the name and address of the original
manufacturer into item 4a. Do not Alter or Modify the Existing
Serial Number . If the NFA firearm is being made from parts, your
name and address are to be entered into 4a and a serial number you
create is to be entered into item 4g.

You were always just a maker. Washington law only allowed for manufacturers to build SBR's. Thats why you couldnt build one. You werent a manufacturer. A Manufacturer is an 07 FFL licensee. Its was a slip up in wording between federal law and WA state law. The new wording corrected this.

I was in a fog.
I knew this, just forgot.

Thanks!!!!!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR