JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello Everyone,

I just won a Norinco Type 56s from Gunbroker. :) I'm about to start the FFL transfer and was wondering if anyone has experience with doing an out of state transfer regarding sales tax on used guns.

As a Washington resident do we still have to pay sales tax? I just moved up here and this is my first purchase from an FFL.

If we do have to pay sales tax how do I verify the amount of the sale if it's a private seller?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Last Edited:
If the FFL does it legally they will have to determine the value of the gun and charge USE tax on it, not sales tax. WA residents owe use tax on almost everything they buy, trade for, barter, or inherit whether new or used. There are some exemptions, guns aren't one of them.

8 US Presidents have been NRA members. They are: Ulysses S. Grant,
Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, Dwight D. Eisenhower,
John F. Kennedy, Richard M. Nixon, Ronald Reagan and George Bush.

80 MILLION gun owners didn't shoot anyone today, a few criminals did!!

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Feedback Score" is low by 4, not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
Washington Arms Collector member

Thanks for answering my question. I meant to say verify not variety up above. (I've been staring at the computer screen too long today!)

Would my FFL verify the amount or his FFL? I assume mine, but just checking.

Thanks!

The in-state FFL would determine the use tax due, and collect that amount in addition to any fees for handling the transaction. The use tax is based on the purchase price, including shipping and handling and the FFL fee.
If the question is, how will the in-state FFL know the purchase price, I assume it will come on the Bill of Sale accompanying the transfer.

The in-state FFL would determine the use tax due, and collect that amount in addition to any fees for handling the transaction. The use tax is based on the purchase price, including shipping and handling and the FFL fee.
If the question is, how will the in-state FFL know the purchase price, I assume it will come on the Bill of Sale accompanying the transfer.

I'll make sure to get a bill of sale.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

If the FFL does it legally they will have to determine the value of the gun and charge USE tax on it, not sales tax. WA residents owe use tax on almost everything they buy, trade for, barter, or inherit whether new or used. There are some exemptions, guns aren't one of them.

Not Barter or trade.The taxes were already paid on the item when it was initially purchased.
But in this instance,it is for the price of the item and the fees.If it was an item purchased out of state,then the Wa state tax wasn't ever charged on the item.
If it is an in state trade,then the tax should be on the "difference"

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads