JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Please make it simple for me. I live in WA and want to sell a handgun to an OR resident. Thought I could meet the buyer at an FFL in OR and complete the transaction. Now am being told that may not be the case. Well, it is or it isn't!!! Please CLARIFY!!!

For a resident of any state to sell a handgun to a resident of any other state you must somehow transport the handgun to the state of the buyer, and it must be sold thru an FFL holder (unless it is being sold to the FFL itself).

So your first understanding was correct.

How you transport the handgun is more or less irrelevant as long as it is legal to do so.

Transporting it in person is legal.

You can go look this up on the ATF website.

Firearms Q&As | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA? | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

Generally, for a person to lawfully transfer a firearm to an unlicensed person who resides out of State, the firearm must be shipped to a Federal firearms licensee (FFL) within the transferee's State of residence. The transferee may then receive the firearm from the FFL upon completion of an ATF Form 4473 and a NICS background check.

The word "shipped" covers you physically carrying the handgun to the FFL in the state of the buyer. An FFL generally cannot sell a handgun directly interstate (i.e., to the resident of another state); that handgun has to go thru the FFL who is licensed in the buyer's state.

Anybody can sell or otherwise transfer a firearm to any FFL in any state. I have done that and I have never had an FFL (I sold a rifle to an FFL in Arizona - shipped it via USPS).

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I didn't find a more relevant answer than this one when I searched.

If a WA resident and I (and OR resident) want to work out a handgun trade, would the process then be to go together to an FFL in one state, do one transfer, and then go to the other state and do the other transfer?

In other words, meet in Vancouver, transfer his handgun to me at an FFL, then meet in Portland and transfer my handgun to him at another FFL?

Thanks for helping out. I appreciate it.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I didn't find a more relevant answer than this one when I searched.

If a WA resident and I (and OR resident) want to work out a handgun trade, would the process then be to go together to an FFL in one state, do one transfer, and then go to the other state and do the other transfer?

In other words, meet in Vancouver, transfer his handgun to me at an FFL, then meet in Portland and transfer my handgun to him at another FFL?

Thanks for helping out. I appreciate it.

No, meet him/her at a Portland FFL and make the transfer.

No, meet him/her at a Portland FFL and make the transfer.
Not if it's a trade.

@kingcole I believe your original interpretation is correct, though backwards.

The handgun you are transferring to the WA resident needs to take place at a WA FFL.

The handgun that the WA resident is transferring to you, an OR resident, needs to take place at an OR FFL.

A long gun can be transferred at an FFL in either state, but handguns must go through an FFL in the buyer's home state.

Not if it's a trade.

@kingcole I believe your original interpretation is correct, though backwards.

The handgun you are transferring to the WA resident needs to take place at a WA FFL.

The handgun that the WA resident is transferring to you, an OR resident, needs to take place at an OR FFL.

A long gun can be transferred at an FFL in either state, but handguns must go through an FFL in the buyer's home state.

I missed the trade part, I thought this was a sale.

A bunch of crap is what it is.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads