JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have found a used SUV I am interested in, it is in Oregon. I'm a WA resident.

In WA, if you buy a used car the plates/registration stay with it, you just pay, get the title and drive away. The seller has the bill of sale and reports it, so he's legally unencumbered after that. Then you get it properly titled/registration transferred within a (I think) 15 day window after the sale.

Does it work like that or similar in OR? Or do I have to show up with new plates/registration for it before I can take it home, the seller keeping the plates/registration which are now void?

Trying to figure out how to do this properly. Seller is a private individual, not a dealer.

When you take it to the the DMV in WA they'll issue you new WA plates and charge you the applicable registration fees and sales tax for the cost of the vehicle.

Right, I understand that. So in Oregon the plates "go with" the vehicle like in WA? I can drive the vehicle way with the old plates on it and the registration valid for a few days until I get home and go to the DMV?

I used to live in the east and normally the plates stayed with the owner/registrant in most places I lived. Staying with the vehicle makes more sense in my mind.

Thank you.

Right, I understand that. So in Oregon the plates "go with" the vehicle like in WA? I can drive the vehicle way with the old plates on it and the registration valid for a few days until I get home and go to the DMV?

I used to live in the east and normally the plates stayed with the owner/registrant in most places I lived. Staying with the vehicle makes more sense in my mind.

Thank you.

hahah

Well, valid plates wouldnt do you any good if you left them with the previous owner in a different state, would they? :s0112:
Of course you take the plates with you. Having no plates on your car is a sure way to get pulled over very quickly.

You then have 30 days to register in WA.

From a private party, yes as stated you pay in full and take your car and plates with you.

If you are doing the deal through a dealer he has the option of taking the plates and filing the title transfer as well as issuing a temporary trip permit.

I had never heard of plates staying with vehicles until I bought an Acura NSX via a magazine listing from a guy in Phoenix and upon arrival discovered that he had removed the plates and that in Arizona the plates stay with the owner. I drove from Phoenix to Tacoma in a car that doesn't exactly blend in with absolutely no license plates! Scary drive but a good time non the less and I just realized that this story probably doesn't help you at all so I'm going to stop now!

Plates will stay with the vehicle. Also make sure you get a receipt from the seller for a stated price. Remember our lovely government will charge you tax on what you paid for said vehicle. Also if you are in the area you might have to take said vehicle through a DEQ or air quality station (just more money out of your pocket) before they issue you a WA plate. Good luck with the transaction and good luck with the DMV:s0155: A bunch of crooks if you ask me.

From a private party, yes as stated you pay in full and take your car and plates with you.

If you are doing the deal through a dealer he has the option of taking the plates and filing the title transfer as well as issuing a temporary trip permit.

bingo -

I bought a car from California four weeks ago - they, the dealership, kept the plates. Private party would have left the plates on the car.

actually.....on second thought I found the plates in the trunk of the car when I got home. they just took them off the car. I suspect they think they have them somewhere.

bingo -

I bought a car from California four weeks ago - they, the dealership, kept the plates. Private party would have left the plates on the car.

actually.....on second thought I found the plates in the trunk of the car when I got home. they just took them off the car. I suspect they think they have them somewhere.

Yes they're supposed to turn them in, they could get fined if audited. I worked for a Motorcycle dealer years ago so I am well versed in the Oregon DMV and how to work around obstacles.

Also one other piece of advice to private party auto sellers, when you sell the car even though you give up the plates you retain the registration slip and turn that into DMV. If you do not turn in the registration slip and there are and parking tickets issued they will go against you and the state will collect the first time they are holding any money such as a tax refund. ;) Also any tow or impound fees will go against your name, though this would be private company debt and will be harder for those companies to collect.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top