JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As the title says- What is the process if a WA citizen buys a long gun from a private OR citizen?

Conditions-
Sale happens in Oregon
Buyer has no legal issues preventing ownership.

Does this work through a FFL similar to WA states 594 transfers?

Thanks

Simple......

Long gun sale.....
Meet at an FFL's place of business in WA or OR and proceed with the transfer (paperwork and fees).

Handgun sale.....
Meet at the FFL's place of business (in buyer's home state)* and proceed with the transfer.

*Otherwise, the handgun will need to be transferred from one FFL to another FFL (arriving in buyer's home state). Meaning.....more fees.

What did he just say?

Translation.
A buyer must take possession (complete the transaction) of a handgun from the FFL in his/her home state.

NOTE: With the passage of I-1639, expect many changes to come.

Aloha, Mark

PS.......call the preferred FFL prior to the transfer/meeting. Get an appointment if needed. And find out exactly what the total fees will be.

-------BAD STORY TIME------
I was once supposed to buy a long gun from an OR resident. Before going down to OR from WA, I asked that the seller contact his FFL to clear the way for our meeting/transfer. Unfortunately......his FFL (in OR) said that he was gonna charge me double for being from out of state. IMHO, the seller should have been dealing with a better FFL. Anyway, the deal died.

And, there was that time when I was supposed to buy a long gun from an OR seller and I asked that he contact the OR FFL of his choice to clear the way. His FFL said that I had to have the long gun transferred to a WA FFL before I could pick it up. That's total B.S. But whatever. That deal died too.

So then.....
There are some good and some bad FFLs. FFLs can (for the most part) charge what they like. With that in mind, there's no harm in shopping for a GOOD FFL.

Hint: Pawn shops that do a lot of gun business.;)

Last Edited:
Didn't this new clusterflock of a law in WA stop this sort of business? People are saying you can leave the state of Washington and come back with an unregistered in Washington gun. Sounds too easy.

Now, I've bought a gun from a WA resident that drove down here to an OR FFL that did paperwork on me for the purchase. I live in OR, I bought the gun in OR. And the gun is now registered to me, in OR.

(I know it's not actually a gun registration so save the correction, thnx)

Tick Licker Firearms treated me right.

4570 Commercial St SE, Salem, OR 97302
(503) 400-1913
Closes 7PM

Tick Licker is good, as is Coat of Arms. Coat of Arms is in Keizer, so just depends which is more convenient to the OP.

Tri Tac Salem is near Keizer as well, used to use them when others were closed. Tri Tac had better hours, no idea if it's still the case.

Didn't this new clusterflock of a law in WA stop this sort of business? People are saying you can leave the state of Washington and come back with an unregistered in Washington gun. Sounds too easy.

Now, I've bought a gun from a WA resident that drove down here to an OR FFL that did paperwork on me for the purchase. I live in OR, I bought the gun in OR. And the gun is now registered to me, in OR.

(I know it's not actually a gun registration so save the correction, thnx)

Ah yes the I-1639 mess... We WA denizens are still trying to figure out what it actually means- 30 pages of hidden gems...

It is known that it doesn't go into effect until July 2019..so playing by the existing rules until then.

Thanks again all for the good advice. Can anyone suggest a typical transfer fee(s) for the mentioned FFL's?

Ah yes the I-1639 mess... We WA denizens are still trying to figure out what it actually means- 30 pages of hidden gems...

It is known that it doesn't go into effect until July 2019..so playing by the existing rules until then.

Thanks again all for the good advice. Can anyone suggest a typical transfer fee(s) for the mentioned FFL's?

Coat of arms used to be the least expensive, but have heard that shop has gone up in price since we moved South. So they are all prob around the same now. ?$35? Dunno for sure though...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top