JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm planning on selling a handgun on Tuesday in Washington to a Washington resident. I am an Oregon resident and the Oregon DMV is taking forever on sending me a new license because mine expired about a month ago. Do I have wait until my new license comes in to do this transaction or is there any other form of ID I can use? I've asked around and tried to look up existing laws and have not really found an answer.

My understanding, and I could be wrong, is that the sale has to go from an FFL in your state of residency to an FFL in the buyer's state of residency. That might be just WA state law going from WA to another state?

My understanding, and I could be wrong, is that the sale has to go from an FFL in your state of residency to an FFL in the buyer's state of residency.
I can't speak fully to WA state law, but I believe this isn't true of WA state law.

I know it is not true of federal law; i.e., the owner can take a handgun to an FFL in the buyer's state of residence, where the transfer must take place (in the buyer's state of residence). Buyers & sellers of handguns, here on NWFA, do this all the time, back and forth between WA and Oregon.

I'm planning on selling a handgun on Tuesday in Washington to a Washington resident. I am an Oregon resident and the Oregon DMV is taking forever on sending me a new license because mine expired about a month ago. Do I have wait until my new license comes in to do this transaction or is there any other form of ID I can use? I've asked around and tried to look up existing laws and have not really found an answer.
I do not know about what a WA state FFL requires for ID - you should call the FFL and confirm that they will allow you to sell with your expired OR driver's license. I suspect they will not have a problem with it - Oregon FFLs have not had a problem with this - I have done this both as a buyer and seller a few times last year when my ODL expired in July and DMV could not get me in until September (or was it October? I forget). FFLs know about this issue due to Covid-19.

Being the seller is less of an issue than if you were the buyer.

I can't speak fully to WA state law, but I believe this isn't true of WA state law.

I know it is not true of federal law; i.e., the owner can take a handgun to an FFL in the buyer's state of residence, where the transfer must take place (in the buyer's state of residence). Buyers & sellers of handguns, here on NWFA, do this all the time, back and forth between WA and Oregon.
As far as I can tell, you are correct. It sucks that it has to be this hard to figure this out!

My understanding, and I could be wrong, is that the sale has to go from an FFL in your state of residency to an FFL in the buyer's state of residency. That might be just WA state law going from WA to another state?
If you think about it for a second, this would make no sense for internet sales that transfer through WA FFL. No, it's only the buyer's residence that matters for the transfer FFL, seller can be from another planet for all they care.

That article discusses the ID which the buyer must show. There are fewer requirements for documenting the identity of the person who the FFL received the gun from (often the seller). Most FFLs also have their own policy for that too.

The FFL will need to log it in to their A&D book. Call the FFL beforehand and ask which types of ID they will accept.
Yup. FFL MIGHT be fine with the expired ID AND something else, an up to date vehicle registration showing the same address. As an oversimplified example.

Would be well worth a call to the FFL ahead of time to potentially avoid problems.

I have homes with ID in WA. (primary residence) and OR, and don't recall as the seller having to present ID, whereas clearly the buyer does and complete state and federal forms for a handgun.

Regardless, bring your expired OR DL and printout showing you've filed for renewal. OR DMV have a many months long (3+) processing backlog documented on their site and all the news outlets.

Last Edited:
I have homes with ID in WA. (primary residence) and OR, and don't recall as the seller having to present ID, whereas clearly the buyer does and complete state and federal forms for a handgun.

Regardless, bring your expired OR DL and printout showing you've filed for renewal. OR DMV have a many months long (3+) processing backlog documented on their site and all the news outlets.
Since (2015) I started having to do the BGCs in Oregon - as far as I recall, the FFL has asked for the seller's ID.

I suppose it is in case the gun is stolen. The authorities do not always have the correct info on whether a gun is stolen and might find out later so they want that ID? Tigard Pawn for More is the only one I know of that requires you bring a color photocopy.

I've had OR FFLs ask for / record my ID as a seller, but not in WA. Don't know the law on this question, just relating my experience. And the deal the OP described has to be at a WA FFL for a handgun transaction. Maybe it's up to the FFL?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top