JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
If I wanted to make a trade with an Oregon resident, long arm for long arm and we had the ability to meet FTF at a FFL location can someone tell me what goes down there? Do we just pay transfer fees? Do we have to pay some sort of additional stupid tax?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it is illegal to do across state lines trades, right?

Can someone help out with this a bit please?

Would we have to pay 2 transfer fees?

Thanks in advance.

Yep, two "transfer" fees. Basically you have to pay the background checks for both parties, and the ffl fees for both as well. So if the ffl charges $40 for a transfer the total would be $100 for a trade. PITA.

You are correct that it is illegal to do transfers over state lines between private parties.

You will pay 2 FFL fees (unless you work out some kind of deal with the FFL). OR folks forgot there is NO charge for the NICS check in WA so there is no charge for that (if the transfer is taking place in WA). In WA there is the sales tax issue also and I am not sure how that works on trades so I would ask the FFL.

Boy I gotta hold my tongue in these threads.

Kinda like asking,what would happen if we met and examined each others' guns and forgot who brought what gun?

I'm just sayin',not suggesting anything.
:s0092:

A buddy was checking on this recently and found info somewhere stating that border state trading of long arms was allowed. Might check into it further

So forgive my naïveté but as a legal gun owning ie no felonies, no criminal record of any kind, tax paying American citizen, I can not TRADE one of my possessions for someone else's possessions? I can not do with my belongs as I see fit? I'm sorry if I sounds naive at all, I have been a collector of firearms for many years but have just bought the guns I liked, I do enjoy the idea of horse trading how ever. I am not up on the regs obviously. Thank you for posting the ATF link I'm sure I will be reading that thoroughly with my head in my hands.

You can LEGALLY trade. That is not an issue. You just can not legally transfer across state lines privately.

You can not do it with any motor vehicle either. The system is a bit different but same idea.

OK, here is the part I believe my buddy read:
"A person may only acquire a firearm within the person's own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes."
This being said, it eliminates the need to tranfer in the buyer's state of residence. ie: someone from WA can come to OR and the transfer can be completed in OR for a WA buyer.

Yes for LONG GUNS you can do the FFL transfer in ANY state assuming the gun is legal in both states. It does not even have to be boarder states.

You can only transfer handguns, other and NFA items in your own state either FFL or FTF.

You can not do FTF sales of any firearm across state lines.

It seems to me well laid out on ATFs website-for long guns and shotguns, An OR resident buying either one in WA must go through an FFL or visa versa WA resident buying long gun/shotgun in OR would have to go through a FFL to legally complete the transfer...

So what about the loaning renting statement:

"A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes."

I just got into a debate the other day on the need for an FFL across state lines. The person(s) swore up and down that I was factually incorrect when it came to long guns/shotguns needing the ffl transfer. I don't understand how people interpret the GCA to think they can do it any other way.

What if they both claim a 99 year lease on each others guns for sporting purposes? Is that a way to "transfer" across boarders, how does someone argue against that?

A passport shows you are a legal citizen of the USA and is a valid form of ID.

When two men meet and look at two USA passports...

The ATF takes passports. From the ATF.gov

"Remember, to transfer a firearm, Federal law requires that firearm dealers obtain a government-issued photo ID that includes the customer’s name, address, signature, and date of birth. Valid forms of ID include a driver’s license, a passport, or a military ID with photo."

Good Luck

As a WA resident I have bought many long guns in OR. OK, here is how it goes.

If I buy from an FFL dealer (example: BiMart located in Portland, OR) I pay for the long gun and submit myslef to the OR background check. I get charged the price of the long gun and a $10 background ck fee.

If I buy from a PVT individual (OR resident), the sale must be made through a FFL dealer. So, we go to the OR FFL dealer. I could agree or the seller could agree.......to pay the FFL's fee. The same goes for the background ck fee of $10. You and the seller can decide who pays what fees.

After the long gun is paid for and the background checks and fees are done and paid.......I go home, back across the border with the long gun. It's simple.

Note, that there are also additional laws about OR gunshow transactions but, I'm not going there.

NOW......that's the way I do it. But.......

If I wanted the long gun shipped (STUPID IDEA). Once the long gun arrives at my WA FFL, I'll have to go through another background check w/WA and the WA FFL will want his fees and the State of WA will want it's tax.

As for Handguns........well, see the above paragraph (about shipping). As a WA resident (if I'm buying from an out of state person or out of state FFL) the handgun must be delivered to my WA FFL. Guess who'll be paying for the shipping and WA FFL fees? And, TAXES. Well, I will have to pay the WA taxes on the entire value of the firearm. I'm not saying if it's fair or right. But, that is what's happening in WA. The WA FFL has become a tax collector.

Decide for yourself.........sometimes it's just not worth it.

Aloha, Mark

PS........All local and state laws also apply. So, in some states and/or local municipalities.........they have/will/could by LAW prohibit pvt transfers. In other words....all sales must go through an FFL. Guess who will be paying for that one? That, is one of the newest obstructions to our hobby.

Then.....

CA also imposes that an out of state FFL must pre-register and describe in detail the firearm(s) with the CA DOJ in order to do a transfer of firearm(s) coming into CA. That is why (I suspect)..........most folks don't like to deal with CA buyers.

Sorry.....as for your original transfer question about the trade: long gun for long gun. You being a WA resident and the other guy being an OR resident.

Why not compromise?

You pay for all associated costs to your FFL and he will pay for all costs to his FFL.

FOR ME........unless it was a SUPER SPECIAL long gun........I'd nix the deal and just pay cash to get what I want.

Aloha, Mark

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top