JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm not sure anyone has addressed this yet, but rcw 9.41.050 doesn't mention carrying firearms concealed but only pistols. Here is the full text
"
(1)(a) Except in the person's place of abode or fixed place of business, a person shall not carry a pistol concealed on his or her person without a license to carry a concealed pistol.
(b) Every licensee shall have his or her concealed pistol license in his or her immediate possession at all times that he or she is required by this section to have a concealed pistol license and shall display the same upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when and if required by law to do so. Any violation of this subsection (1)(b) shall be a class 1 civil infraction under chapter 7.80 RCW and shall be punished accordingly pursuant to chapter 7.80 RCW and the infraction rules for courts of limited jurisdiction.
(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.
(b) A violation of this subsection is a misdemeanor.
(3)(a) A person at least eighteen years of age who is in possession of an unloaded pistol shall not leave the unloaded pistol in a vehicle unless the unloaded pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.
(4) Nothing in this section permits the possession of firearms illegal to possess under state or federal law."

Does this mean we can ccw a bullpups without a permit?

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Seems pretty clear to me.

You know how some restaurants have that :No shoes, No Shirts No Service" signs?
Try going in without pants and you'll probably be thrown out and arrested, even though the sign says nothing about pants.
Try going around with a bullpup or AR pistol under your coat and see what you get. You might get away with it, if nobody ever sees it, but the moment someone does, all hell will break loose. You may end up face down on the floor with a large cop kneeling on your back with his service pistol in your ear, or you may get shot by a fellow CCW carrier who thinks you're a loony about to go on a killing spree. You will also be liable for anyone who gets hurt in the panic you caused. Remember the knothead who went into a Walmart in Missouri (IIRC) with an AR slung from from his shoulder not too long after that whacko shot up the El Paso Walmart?
A CCW holder held him till the police arrived. Was that guy legal? Yes, but it was a breathtakingly stupid thing to do nonetheless. Had that CCW holder not kept his head, Mr. Tacticool AR carrier would have been shot and/or killed.

So in short, can you do it? Possibly.
But should you do it?

I'm not sure anyone has addressed this yet, but rcw 9.41.050 doesn't mention carrying firearms concealed but only pistols. Here is the full text
"
(1)(a) Except in the person's place of abode or fixed place of business, a person shall not carry a pistol concealed on his or her person without a license to carry a concealed pistol.
(b) Every licensee shall have his or her concealed pistol license in his or her immediate possession at all times that he or she is required by this section to have a concealed pistol license and shall display the same upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when and if required by law to do so. Any violation of this subsection (1)(b) shall be a class 1 civil infraction under chapter 7.80 RCW and shall be punished accordingly pursuant to chapter 7.80 RCW and the infraction rules for courts of limited jurisdiction.
(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.
(3)(a) A person at least eighteen years of age who is in possession of an unloaded pistol shall not leave the unloaded pistol in a vehicle unless the unloaded pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.
(4) Nothing in this section permits the possession of firearms illegal to possess under state or federal law."

Does this mean we can ccw a bullpups without a permit?
Why would you want to?

Yeah I don't uh.... I don't think it's gonna happen, dude. X95

KIMG0873.JPG KIMG0874.JPG

Yeah I don't uh.... I don't think it's gonna happen, dude. X95

View attachment 834024 View attachment 834025

That's funny, and I know your post was meant to be sarcastic.

The main benefit of the AR/AK pistol in regards to the CPL is that they can be legally transported loaded (if desired) whereas a rifle would be unlawful per RCW.

Why might someone be interested to do that?

Well, for example, when the domestic terrorist groups Antifa and BLM were torching cars and breaking windows of buildings and assaulting random people in downtown Seattle, and flooding the streets to the point traffic was blocked, the metro bus lines cancelled all busses that would have been anywhere close to the area. The wife who used to work downtown was effectively stranded from getting home unless she took an uber, or a taxi or walked a very long way. When you're driving into downtown Seattle and domestic terrorists are trying to pull random people out of cars and assault them, you bring the AR pistol because you can legally keep it on the passenger seat, loaded, and then you pray it isn't necessary because you just want to get there, grab the wife, and get home safely, without incident.

Of course all these laws are repugnant to the constitution and therefore invalid (Maurberry vs Madison), but the government and freedom hating individuals don't care and they will have their minions hurt you if you don't follow their unconstitutional laws.

You know how some restaurants have that :No shoes, No Shirts No Service" signs?
Try going in without pants and you'll probably be thrown out and arrested, even though the sign says nothing about pants.
Try going around with a bullpup or AR pistol under your coat and see what you get. You might get away with it, if nobody ever sees it, but the moment someone does, all hell will break loose. You may end up face down on the floor with a large cop kneeling on your back with his service pistol in your ear, or you may get shot by a fellow CCW carrier who thinks you're a loony about to go on a killing spree. You will also be liable for anyone who gets hurt in the panic you caused. Remember the knothead who went into a Walmart in Missouri (IIRC) with an AR slung from from his shoulder not too long after that whacko shot up the El Paso Walmart?
A CCW holder held him till the police arrived. Was that guy legal? Yes, but it was a breathtakingly stupid thing to do nonetheless. Had that CCW holder not kept his head, Mr. Tacticool AR carrier would have been shot and/or killed.

So in short, can you do it? Possibly.
But should you do it?

Seems like the CCW carrier didn't understand that someone who intends to do harm with a rifle more than likely wouldn't have it slung for conveniently walking around and instead would be holding it in their hand(s) which is required to shoot it.

Although I view the rifle carrier as an attention whore. It is a problem in our society that people are frantically afraid of the sight of guns. Ultimately I view concealed carry is a part of the problem regarding that. People never see the guns around them all the time carried by other Americans, and to them, therefore they don't exist. When they finally see one, it terrifies them, even though it's likely they've been very close to others with guns many times before.

Seems like the CCW carrier didn't understand that someone who intends to do harm with a rifle more than likely wouldn't have it slung for conveniently walking around and instead would be holding it in their hand(s) which is required to shoot it.

Although I view the rifle carrier as an attention whore. It is a problem in our society that people are frantically afraid of the sight of guns. Ultimately I view concealed carry is a part of the problem regarding that. People never see the guns around them all the time carried by other Americans, and to them, therefore they don't exist. When they finally see one, it terrifies them, even though it's likely they've been very close to others with guns many times before.
What is your first instinct when you're out on the town and you see someone (not LEO) with a gun?

As someone once said, timing is everything in life.
That idiot lugging a rifle into a Walmart so soon on the heels of the El Paso shooting screamed "Copycat" whether he intended it or not. It was an incredibly stupid stunt.
The CCW holder did everything right as far as I'm concerned. That the idiot still had the gun slung on his shoulder is probably why he didn't get shot.

What is your first instinct when you're out on the town and you see someone (not LEO) with a gun?

As someone once said, timing is everything in life.
That idiot lugging a rifle into a Walmart so soon on the heels of the El Paso shooting screamed "Copycat" whether he intended it or not. It was an incredibly stupid stunt.
The CCW holder did everything right as far as I'm concerned. That the idiot still had the gun slung on his shoulder is probably why he didn't get shot.

My first instinct is to observe their behavior and not immediately be fearful of the gun I can see. People who are observing proper firearm safety, not acting erratic or aggressive and are going about their business, those actions do not signify, "threat" they signify, "attention whore" edit to add: if it is a long gun seemingly out of place. Then again the only reason why I don't sling a rifle for my daily errands is purely out of inconvenience.

edit to add: If it's in a holster, I normally try to see the make and model out of curiosity, and if they don't seem like a total d-bag, might even compliment them on their holster/gun which could then lead most likely to a polite conversation about guns.

People who are in the process of initiating an attack do not observe firearm safety.

Plenty of people have been killed by guns they couldn't see until it was too late. The behavior/demeanor of someone matters far more than the physical items they possess.

There's a video of a wacko woman walking down the street, stabbing every person who walks by her. She was acting like a wacko, holding a knife in her hand at her side before launching the attack at multiple people who passed her by, one at a time. Just an example of how paying attention to behavior could be more beneficial than the physical items you can see.

Last Edited:
My first instinct is to observe their behavior and not immediately be fearful of the gun I can see.
That's because you are a gun guy, but if I read your post right, until you decide that the gun-carrier is safe or a threat, you're keeping an eye on him. That is what I try to do, at least. Now, neither of us were at that Walmart to determine what the idiot was doing so I am willing to defer to the CCW holder's judgment. That he kept the idiot covered until police arrived instead of just blasting away implies to me that he acted in a calm and correct manner
People who are observing proper firearm safety, not acting erratic or aggressive and are going about their business, those actions do not signify, "threat" they signify, "attention whore" edit to add: if it is a long gun seemingly out of place. Then again the only reason why I don't sling a rifle for my daily errands is purely out of inconvenience.

edit to add: If it's in a holster, I normally try to see the make and model out of curiosity, and if they don't seem like a total d-bag, might even compliment them on their holster/gun which could then lead most likely to a polite conversation about guns. Your avatar says you're in Seattle, When is the last time you saw someone open carrying in Seattle? I live in Vancouver and the only time I see open carry is by the staff at a couple of the gun shops. Not at restaurants, the dog park, church or grocery store or anywhere. Just isn't happening around here so I get that its a shock to folks. We have the Second Amendment but the left/ liberals have been far too effective at marginalizing it and those of us who support the Second. Because of that, too many people view guns as an automatic danger. Because of they have that fear, it is my opinion (MSRP 2 cents) that the CCW guy who braced the Walmart idiot did us a big favor. A good guy with a gun may have prevented a potential mass murder. Hyberbole, I know but nonetheless, it gave CCW a positive look.

People who are in the process of initiating an attack do not observe firearm safety. But they may be observing firearm safety protocols right up to the moment they start shooting. You don't know until it happens. Too often the neighbors of the crazed shooter say "He was a quiet man..." How crazy did Paddock act before he shot all those people in Las Vegas?

Plenty of people have been killed by guns they couldn't see until it was too late. Sadly, too true The behavior/demeanor of someone matters far more than the physical items they possess. A crazy guy with a banana isn't the same as a crazy guy with a gun Their behavior is important but so is what's in their hands.

There's a video of a wacko woman walking down the street, stabbing every person who walks by her. She was acting like a wacko, holding a knife in her hand at her side before launching the attack at multiple people who passed her by, one at a time. Just an example of how paying attention to behavior could be more beneficial than the physical items you can see. Spot on!

My comments in RED above

My comments in RED above

Hard to respond the way that was done, but in essence:

Seattle is possibly one of the most liberal cities in the state, as a result, it's true, I haven't seen people open carrying rifles beyond some videos of pieces of bubblegum downtown in the CHAZ zone. Personally, I've seen people open carrying pistols, most recent one was a guy in a dress shirt at Chick fa le in Federal Way. He ordered, enjoyed a sandwich at a both, had a pistol in a holster, and no one seemed to care even if they did notice. Outside of Seattle I've encountered people at various places in the woods walking around who are open carrying rifles. They don't point their gun at me and in return I don't point my gun at them.

If I was in Walmart (and I try to avoid that place) and I came upon a guy open carrying a rifle, I'd look at him, but unless he was demonstrating what I perceive to be preemptive attack behavior, or he was holding his gun in a manner that is flagging me. I don't know that pulling my gun and posturing that I am going to shoot him, is the best move. For one thing, if he didn't specifically threaten anyone, it doesn't sound like he did anything illegal. Stupid, sure, illegal, no.

You're opinion on the matter is fine, but one thing that stood out to me was the sentiment, "people might seem okay until they start their attack"

In my opinion, the Vegas shooting was totally a false flag. Guy was a millionaire, didn't fit the profile of mass murder suicide, at all.

Beyond that, that same type of thinking could apply to every conceal carrier that carries a gun, whether you can see it or not ahead of time is irrelevant to whether they could "initiate an attack."

I'd be curious to know what the outcome was for the guy at the Walmart with the AR, was he ultimately charged and convicted of anything?

Hard to respond the way that was done, but in essence:

Seattle is possibly one of the most liberal cities in the state, as a result, it's true, I haven't seen people open carrying rifles beyond some videos of pieces of bubblegum downtown in the CHAZ zone. Personally, I've seen people open carrying pistols, most recent one was a guy in a dress shirt at Chick fa le in Federal Way. He ordered, enjoyed a sandwich at a both, had a pistol in a holster, and no one seemed to care even if they did notice. Outside of Seattle I've encountered people at various places in the woods walking around who are open carrying rifles. They don't point their gun at me and in return I don't point my gun at them.

If I was in Walmart (and I try to avoid that place) and I came upon a guy open carrying a rifle, I'd look at him, but unless he was demonstrating what I perceive to be preemptive attack behavior, or he was holding his gun in a manner that is flagging me. I don't know that pulling my gun and posturing that I am going to shoot him, is the best move. For one thing, if he didn't specifically threaten anyone, it doesn't sound like he did anything illegal. Stupid, sure, illegal, no.

You're opinion on the matter is fine, but one thing that stood out to me was the sentiment, "people might seem okay until they start their attack"

In my opinion, the Vegas shooting was totally a false flag. Guy was a millionaire, didn't fit the profile of mass murder suicide, at all.

Beyond that, that same type of thinking could apply to every conceal carrier that carries a gun, whether you can see it or not ahead of time is irrelevant to whether they could "initiate an attack."

I'd be curious to know what the outcome was for the guy at the Walmart with the AR, was he ultimately charged and convicted of anything?
Hunting and hiking in the woods while open carrying is not the same as in the city. A rifle in the woods does not cause the stir it would in a mall or city park. In town, a pistol open carried in a holster equals "Cop" to the public so yeah no big whoop when folks see that whether the open carrier is LEO or not.
re: Las Vegas as a false flag? Run by who and to what end? And why him, a millionaire no less. Was it to get bump stocks banned? That seems a bit extreme and using that as a way to dismiss the killer not matching your profile is bit facile. Millionaires don't snap? He was on video bringing a bunch of large cases into the hotel. The guns in the room were his, bought by him. I would want to see some form proof of Vegas being a false flag operation or at least some positive evidence that it wasn't all Paddock's doing. IMO, Paddock was a loony. He just hid it better than most. Psychopaths and sociopaths blend into society quite well. Its only after they flip out that people piece together the signs that the atrocity was coming. The main thing is they don't all start twitching or talking to themselves before they start shooting. Many do show signs for sure, but not all of them.

re: the Walmart idiot
Dmitriy Andreychenko was arrested for making a terroristic threat. He pled down making a false report to the police and got 2 years probation.
It seems he did his stunt as a "social experiment" and was filming himself on his phone. He was wearing body armor and had 100 rounds on his person when arrested. But since open carry is legal there, I guess they could only come up with the "Causing false reports to be filed" beef. The CCW guy faced no charges for pulling his gun on Andreychenko.

A bullpup is still a rifle, so per the RCW, no, an AR/AK pistol, classified as a pistol, so it is covered by the CPL.
Please reread the particular statute. Concealed carrying a pistol is specifically banned (except with a permit) it doesn't say anything about firearms in general with regard to carrying concealed. That is what my original post was about.

Please reread the particular statute. Concealed carrying a pistol is specifically banned (except with a permit) it doesn't say anything about firearms in general with regard to carrying concealed. That is what my original post was about.

You are correct. I can not find anything that says concealing a rifle or shotgun on your person (as defined by RCW's) is illegal, only pistols. However, in regards to vehicles, there are RCW's related to having loaded rifles/shotguns in your car as being illegal, whereas, a pistol with the CPL is not.

Therefore, one could seemingly make the English common law defense argument, that concealing a loaded rifle/shotgun on your person is not illegal, though being in a car with them, would be. This then makes me think about how one could do that, I suppose a large backpack could conceal a bullpup effectively.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top