JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
On another gun board, a WA LEO (don't know agency) said that he can see detainee's 4473 activity when he runs "wants and warrants" during a traffic stop.
Anyone ever hear of this ?

ETA:
I should have said :
"Can LE see RO's (registered owner) 4473 activity using RO's information ?"

Last Edited:
On another gun board, a WA LEO (don't know agency) said that he can see detainee's 4473 activity when he runs "wants and warrants" during a traffic stop.
Anyone ever hear of this ?
I've been telling chicks I know exactly what they need since I was 16. They love confidence like that.

A little b.s. opens a lot of doors. Or , in other words, this wouldn't be the first cop to bluff his way to success.

5d50ee5ee702bb1499a94db5cc1ee8a2.jpg

The 4473 info is kept on file at the dealer for 20 years, and is sent to the ATF when dealer closes. It is shared with the nics system for background check.
Info used in nics check is to be destroyed after a period of time. Can't remember how long, but a short period.
I don't believe that they do that.
But the Washington pistol and semi auto laws. Allows for a data base that can be accessed by law enforcement.
A few years ago I asked our Sheriff what pistols were registered to me. I was given a list that went back to the 1980's. I don't believe that this is legal. My thought was to remove pistols that I no longer have from that list.
I have not found a way to do that.
So can they get that info during a traffic stop? I don't think so, but they can get it.

Good lord. No. And no. And for gosh sakes, some of y'all need to quit perpetuating the myth that license plate (vehicle registration) numbers are tied to CPLs. (Yes, there's a query that can be run on your DL, but not your license plate).

And thanks, @Knobgoblin, for further attempts to divide regular citizens from serving law enforcement officers. Sheesh.

This entire thread because some emotionally immature internet troll (elsewhere) posted something typically troll-ish. Last I worked, veh reg had driver's license number or the reg owner. Driver's check had the usual info and license status. A separate inquiry has to be run by dispatch to determine if there is a CPL. And that check will show only handguns purchased in WA state only and nothing else.

As mentioned, 4473 stuff is not a state issue.

Good lord. No. And no. And for gosh sakes, some of y'all need to quit perpetuating the myth that license plate (vehicle registration) numbers are tied to CPLs. (Yes, there's a query that can be run on your DL, but not your license plate).

And thanks, @Knobgoblin, for further attempts to divide regular citizens from serving law enforcement officers. Sheesh.
Have not seen anyone saying your tag is tied to your CPL here. Your tag is tied to the Registered Owner (s). The Computer will show the Officer if the RO has a CPL if he wants to see the info. I have often wondered why this seem to really bother people? Like they want it to be secrete that they have a CPL?:confused:

Yes, but it comes up frequently, has in the past in many of these "I'm carrying a gun and I get pulled over" threads... just trying to pre-empt any possible misinformation that often gets spouted when this topic is addressed.
This thread was intended to be about :
"Can LE see the RO's 4473 activity when data searching RO's information ?"

All those other tag/CPL questions, as we know, have been beaten to death besides being a somewhat different topic.
But the above question, I've never seen asked. Ever.

If it's true, then we have defacto gun registration.
I find that a bit unsettling.

Last Edited:
When LEO's get a return on your information, If you have a CPL it is included in their return when they run you.

As for 4473's, thats not a thing.

1639 does retain a defacto registry on new semi-automatic firearms that have been purchased. It's a database thats retained by WA State patrol.

This thread was intended to be about :
"Can LE see the RO's 4473 activity when data searching RO's information ?"
Yeah, I got that, and answered the question in my first post, #11 in the thread. With a hard no.

As far as being able to access background check requests for firearms transfers from the field, I don't see how that could be done.

I suspect that someone was just blowing smoke on that "other gun board" to stir the pot. Regardless, it's that type of B.S. that creates more hard feelings toward LEOs, so if that guy really is a LEO (?), shame on him.

Yeah, I got that, and answered the question in my first post, #11 in the thread. With a hard no.

As far as being able to access background check requests for firearms transfers from the field, I don't see how that could be done.

I suspect that someone was just blowing smoke on that "other gun board" to stir the pot. Regardless, it's that type of B.S. that creates more hard feelings toward LEOs, so if that guy really is a LEO (?), shame on him.
No offense but I don't think you're getting the core question.
"4473 Activity"
What I'm getting from some (one) of the responses is a yes, but not all activity.
Since 1639, semi-automatic purchases ("4473 Activity") can be "seen" in a searchable database that WSP keeps.
Therefore there is a "defacto" registry.

That's my takeaway.
If you read it a different way, then that's fine.

Also in the State of Washington 1639 requires the following:

RCW 9.41.139, as adopted under Initiative 1639, requires that the Washington State Department of Licensing work with the Washington State Patrol and other state and local law enforcement agencies to develop a process to verify—at least once a year—that the owner of a pistol or semiautomatic assault rifle remains eligible to possess a firearm under state and federal law. If the owner is determined to be ineligible for any reason, notification and the relevant information will be provided to the chief of police or the sheriff of the jurisdiction in which the owner resides. Steps are then required to be taken to ensure the owner is not illegally in possession of firearms.

No offense but I don't think you're getting the core question.
"4473 Activity"
What I'm getting from some (one) of the responses is a yes, but not all activity.
Since 1639, semi-automatic purchases ("4473 Activity") can be "seen" in a searchable database that WSP keeps.
Therefore there is a "defacto" registry.

That's my takeaway.
If you read it a different way, then that's fine.
I kind of wondered about that too. Since hand gun purchases and now "assault rifles" go through the WA state bureaucratic clown show, it makes me wonder who all can see the info??? We are FAR from the days where you filled out paper work at the dealer and walked off with a gun.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top