JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What’s up with switchblade knife legislation?

LAS VEGAS — There’s a new piece of legislation in Olympia aimed at defining a “switchblade” knife that contains what appears to be a contradictory, or at least confusing, definition that has some Second Amendment activists puzzled.

<broken link removed>

Here is what WA law already says about knives:

RCW 9.41.250
Dangerous weapons &#8212; Penalty &#8212; Exemption for law enforcement officers.

(1) Every person who:

(a) Manufactures, sells, or disposes of or possesses any instrument or weapon of the kind usually known as slung shot, sand club, or metal knuckles, or spring blade knife, or any knife the blade of which is automatically released by a spring mechanism or other mechanical device, or any knife having a blade which opens, or falls, or is ejected into position by the force of gravity, or by an outward, downward, or centrifugal thrust or movement;

(b) Furtively carries with intent to conceal any dagger, dirk, pistol, or other dangerous weapon; or

(c) Uses any contrivance or device for suppressing the noise of any firearm unless the suppressor is legally registered and possessed in accordance with federal law,

is guilty of a gross misdemeanor punishable under chapter 9A.20 RCW.

(2) Subsection (1)(a) of this section does not apply to:

(a) The possession of a spring blade knife by a law enforcement officer while the officer:

(i) Is on official duty; or

(ii) Is transporting the knife to or from the place where the knife is stored when the officer is not on official duty; or

(b) The storage of a spring blade knife by a law enforcement officer.
I have to watch my Benchmade knives, if they get too loose they can be opened by a flick of the wrist, making them illegal to carry.

My talking about Oregon Statutes was only an example and i would be willing to bet Wa State statutes are not that much different.

Just because you live in a bordering state, does not mean it will not affect an Oregonian. I travel to WA State on a regular basis with my Kershaw that has spring assisted opening and i usually carry a Kershaw or Gerber dagger as well. Does this mean i will need to open carry my dagger now? :s0054:

It's a misdemeanor in both OR and WA to conceal a dagger. It violates the Washington law deen_ad cites and ORS 166.240.

I'm careful to not conceal my auto knives in OR as well. I don't really take them out of the state. I spent enough time looking at other state's gun laws I don't want to look at their knife laws too.

What's the deal with switchblades and daggers - are there really higher incidences of crime with these tools when compared to any other bladed tool like a hunting knife? Seems to be a silly and unnecessary law.

What's the deal with switchblades and daggers - are there really higher incidences of crime with these tools when compared to any other bladed tool like a hunting knife? Seems to be a silly and unnecessary law.

They are just afraid that the greasers will start mixing it up with the socs again.

If you read the law (as posted above by deen_ad), you will see that the only LEGAL way to carry any knife is OPENLY. (However, try carrying a K-Bar on your hip in downtown Vancouver!) "Dirk" is any knife with a single edge and sharp point, and "dagger" is any knife with two edges and comes to a sharp point. Dirks are better for slashing, while daggers are for stabbing. The only LEO exception is for "spring blade" knives; I don't see one in there for a LEO to "furtively carry" a boot knife (dagger), nor for Military personnel at all.
It's all in contrevention of 2A and Art I, Sec 24., and ignores the facts: Bad guys carry regardless of law, and this law just makes otherwise law-abiding citizens (including LEOs) into criminals for having necessary tools with them.

It's all in contrevention of 2A and Art I, Sec 24., and ignores the facts: Bad guys carry regardless of law, and this law just makes otherwise law-abiding citizens (including LEOs) into criminals for having necessary tools with them.

Absolutely. "Lets stop the law-breakers by passing laws". Same thing as the "gun free zones". It only applies to us folks who actually follow the laws.
The legislature continues to pass idiotic laws to justify their jobs, trying to prove they are doing something for the safety of the people, but instead are weaving an incomprehensible basket of junk, where anybody can be arrested for anything. It's really a shame.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top