Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

WA legislature looking at Switchblade bill

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by Dave Workman, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Dave Workman

Dave Workman Western Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

2. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Broken link.

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Bazooka Joe

Bazooka Joe Lower Yakima Valley Well-Known Member

I don't think his posting to examiner.com worked. I looked at his list of articles and this isn't showing. Must be posting from Las Vegas issues.

4. Dave Workman

Dave Workman Western Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Yeah, that's what it looks like.
    They're working on it.

Try this and see if it works.

What

5. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Here is what WA law already says about knives:

I have to watch my Benchmade knives, if they get too loose they can be opened by a flick of the wrist, making them illegal to carry.

6. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

The law I posted is WA law now and Dave's is about pending WA law, so what does exemptions for OR LEO's have to do with it?

7. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

It's a misdemeanor in both OR and WA to conceal a dagger. It violates the Washington law deen_ad cites and ORS 166.240.

I'm careful to not conceal my auto knives in OR as well. I don't really take them out of the state. I spent enough time looking at other state's gun laws I don't want to look at their knife laws too.

8. PBinWA

PBinWA Clark County Well-Known Member

What's the deal with switchblades and daggers - are there really higher incidences of crime with these tools when compared to any other bladed tool like a hunting knife? Seems to be a silly and unnecessary law.

Redcap and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Agreed. Seems like the AWB for knives.

10. DoubleTapDrew

DoubleTapDrew Oregon Well-Known Member

They are just afraid that the greasers will start mixing it up with the socs again.

11. Spad

Spad Kennewick,WA, the desert side Active Member

I think it goes back to the 1950's movies where the bad hoods had switch blades. So therefore all switchblades are bad. Just like the reseasoning about guns, automatic weapons etc...

12. MikeSettles

MikeSettles Vancouver, Washington Active Member

If you read the law (as posted above by deen_ad), you will see that the only LEGAL way to carry any knife is OPENLY. (However, try carrying a K-Bar on your hip in downtown Vancouver!) "Dirk" is any knife with a single edge and sharp point, and "dagger" is any knife with two edges and comes to a sharp point. Dirks are better for slashing, while daggers are for stabbing. The only LEO exception is for "spring blade" knives; I don't see one in there for a LEO to "furtively carry" a boot knife (dagger), nor for Military personnel at all.
    It's all in contrevention of 2A and Art I, Sec 24., and ignores the facts: Bad guys carry regardless of law, and this law just makes otherwise law-abiding citizens (including LEOs) into criminals for having necessary tools with them.

13. DoubleTapDrew

DoubleTapDrew Oregon Well-Known Member

Absolutely. "Lets stop the law-breakers by passing laws". Same thing as the "gun free zones". It only applies to us folks who actually follow the laws.
    The legislature continues to pass idiotic laws to justify their jobs, trying to prove they are doing something for the safety of the people, but instead are weaving an incomprehensible basket of junk, where anybody can be arrested for anything. It's really a shame.