JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Okay i have only one question, is it legal to open carry a knife like maybe the Gerber LHR. I dont know if im the only one who has issue decoding the washington carry laws, so i would like a yes or no answer. I dont want any wise guys makeing smart remarks. Thank you.

Here's the City of Vancouver Municipal Code dealing with Knives:

Vancouver Municipal Code
Chapter 7.11 UNLAWFUL POSSESSION OF DANGEROUS KNIVES
Section 7.11.010 Definitions.
a. ”Dangerous Knife” means any switch-blade knife or fixed-blade knife; and any other knife having a blade more than three inches in length,
b. "Fixed-blade knife" means any knife, regardless of blade length, with a blade which is permanently open and does not fold, retract or slide into the handle of the knife, and includes any dagger, sword, bayonet, bolo knife, hatchet, axe, straight, edged razor, or razor blade not in a package, dispenser or shaving appliance.
c. "Switchblade knife" means any knife, regardless of blade length, having a blade that opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring mechanism, or other device, or blade that opens, falls or is ejected into position by force of gravity or by an outward, downward or centrifugal thrust or movement.
Vancouver Municipal Code
Section 7.11.020 Unlawful possession of dangerous knives.
a. It is unlawful for anyone knowingly to carry concealed on one's person any dangerous knife.
b. It is unlawful for anyone knowingly to possess any dangerous knife concealed within a vehicle when the dangerous knife is within reaching distance by any vehicle occupant.
Section 7.11.030 Exemptions.
The proscriptions of this chapter relating to dangerous knives shall not apply to:
a. Lawful hunters, campers or fishermen while on a hunting, camping or fishing trip, including education and travel related thereto.
b. Any person carrying a dangerous knife in a secure wrapper or in a tool box while traveling from or to the place of purchase, from or to a place of repair, or in moving from one place of abode or business to another.
c. Any person carrying a dangerous knife while in his place of abode or fixed place of business.
d. Any person engaged in an activity directly related to a lawful occupation which commonly requires the use of a dangerous knife, provided the dangerous knife, if carried on one's person, is carried unconcealed.
e. Any person in the military service or any commissioned law enforcement officer engaged in the performance of his or her duty or training or in the course of any training, acting pursuant to orders from competent authority.
Section 7.11.040 Penalty - Misdemeanor.
Unlawful possession of dangerous knives is a misdemeanor.

I was in Wholesale Sports yesterday and the guy at the knife counter said they got a bulletin {company bulletin?} saying spring assist knives were now illegal to carry in WA and can be sold only as collectors items. I've done some searching this morning but have not yet found a change in our RCW.

Anyone have the official info on this?

Here's the City of Vancouver Municipal Code dealing with Knives:

Vancouver Municipal Code
Chapter 7.11 UNLAWFUL POSSESSION OF DANGEROUS KNIVES
Section 7.11.010 Definitions.
a. "Dangerous Knife" means any switch-blade knife or fixed-blade knife; and any other knife having a blade more than three inches in length,
b. "Fixed-blade knife" means any knife, regardless of blade length, with a blade which is permanently open and does not fold, retract or slide into the handle of the knife, and includes any dagger, sword, bayonet, bolo knife, hatchet, axe, straight, edged razor, or razor blade not in a package, dispenser or shaving appliance.
c. "Switchblade knife" means any knife, regardless of blade length, having a blade that opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring mechanism, or other device, or blade that opens, falls or is ejected into position by force of gravity or by an outward, downward or centrifugal thrust or movement.
Vancouver Municipal Code
Section 7.11.020 Unlawful possession of dangerous knives.
a. It is unlawful for anyone knowingly to carry concealed on one's person any dangerous knife.
b. It is unlawful for anyone knowingly to possess any dangerous knife concealed within a vehicle when the dangerous knife is within reaching distance by any vehicle occupant.
Section 7.11.030 Exemptions.
The proscriptions of this chapter relating to dangerous knives shall not apply to:
a. Lawful hunters, campers or fishermen while on a hunting, camping or fishing trip, including education and travel related thereto.
b. Any person carrying a dangerous knife in a secure wrapper or in a tool box while traveling from or to the place of purchase, from or to a place of repair, or in moving from one place of abode or business to another.
c. Any person carrying a dangerous knife while in his place of abode or fixed place of business.
d. Any person engaged in an activity directly related to a lawful occupation which commonly requires the use of a dangerous knife, provided the dangerous knife, if carried on one's person, is carried unconcealed.
e. Any person in the military service or any commissioned law enforcement officer engaged in the performance of his or her duty or training or in the course of any training, acting pursuant to orders from competent authority.
Section 7.11.040 Penalty - Misdemeanor.
Unlawful possession of dangerous knives is a misdemeanor.

Wow. Vancouver sucks.

Someone explain this easier way?

Skang

i think WA state has a 4 inch concealed rule, but some municipalities (cities) can make their own rules stricter.

-----------

a, do not carry a knife over 3 inches concealed. (a Dangerous Knife" means any switch-blade knife or fixed-blade knife; and any other knife having a blade more than three inches in length, see def for fixed and switch blades.

b , dont have it in your car, concealed, within reach and access to you the driver or passengers. such a knife. .....so that means anyting over 3 inches, or fixed, put in a locked glove box, storage box, trunk , ect. its ok. Think of this one as officer saftey.

They've been illegal for years, nothing new, just that most people didn't know it. The Vancouver laws are an almost perfect copy of the state laws. Not sure where I found the state ones but I have seen them.

Here's a start
And some more

Looks like it's pretty well covered in RCW 9.41

8 US Presidents have been NRA members. They are: Ulysses S. Grant,
Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, Dwight D. Eisenhower,
John F. Kennedy, Richard M. Nixon, Ronald Reagan and George Bush.

80 MILLION law abiding gun owners didn't shoot anyone today, a few criminals did!!

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Feedback Score" is low by 4, not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
Washington Arms Collector member
Arms Collectors of South West Washington member

I was in Wholesale Sports yesterday and the guy at the knife counter said they got a bulletin {company bulletin?} saying spring assist knives were now illegal to carry in WA and can be sold only as collectors items. I've done some searching this morning but have not yet found a change in our RCW.

Anyone have the official info on this?

They need to look at the law closer!! It's illegal to manufacture, sell, dispose or OR POSSESS under RCW 9.41.250

(1) Every person who:

(a) Manufactures, sells, or disposes of or possesses any instrument or weapon of the kind usually known as slung shot, sand club, or metal knuckles, or spring blade knife, or any knife the blade of which is automatically released by a spring mechanism or other mechanical device, or any knife having a blade which opens, or falls, or is ejected into position by the force of gravity, or by an outward, downward, or centrifugal thrust or movement;

(b) Furtively carries with intent to conceal any dagger, dirk, pistol, or other dangerous weapon; or

(c) Uses any contrivance or device for suppressing the noise of any firearm,

is guilty of a gross misdemeanor punishable under chapter 9A.20 RCW.

(2) Subsection (1)(a) of this section does not apply to:

(a) The possession of a spring blade knife by a law enforcement officer while the officer:

(i) Is on official duty; or

(ii) Is transporting the knife to or from the place where the knife is stored when the officer is not on official duty; or
(b) The storage of a spring blade knife by a law enforcement officer.

------------------------------------------------------------------

80 MILLION law abiding gun owners didn't shoot anyone today, a few criminals did!!

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter

They need to look at the law closer!! It's illegal to manufacture, sell, dispose or OR POSSESS under RCW 9.41.250

(1) Every person who:

(a) Manufactures, sells, or disposes of or possesses any instrument or weapon of the kind usually known as slung shot, sand club, or metal knuckles, or spring blade knife, or any knife the blade of which is automatically released by a spring mechanism or other mechanical device, or any knife having a blade which opens, or falls, or is ejected into position by the force of gravity, or by an outward, downward, or centrifugal thrust or movement;

(b) Furtively carries with intent to conceal any dagger, dirk, pistol, or other dangerous weapon; or

(c) Uses any contrivance or device for suppressing the noise of any firearm,

is guilty of a gross misdemeanor punishable under chapter 9A.20 RCW.

(a) The possession of a spring blade knife by a law enforcement officer while the officer:

(ii) Is transporting the knife to or from the place where the knife is stored when the officer is not on official duty; or

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter

More ridiculous bullbubblegum from the state of WA to disregard.

More ridiculous bubblegum from the state of WA to disregard.

So, you're among those who flaunt the laws just because you don't like them? Don't come looking for bail money or a donation for a defense fund from me!

Eight U.S. Presidents have been NRA members. They are: Ulysses S. Grant,
John F. Kennedy, Richard M. Nixon, Ronald Reagan and George Bush

80 MILLION gun owners didn't shoot anyone today, a few criminals did!

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
South West Washington Arms Collector member

OK so if you have a conceal carry permit does this exempt you ?

As "RCW 9.41.250 Dangerous weapons" reads it affects more than Knifes:
Literally, it is any weapon and could be interpreted as; carrying my piece with a CCW permit is now invalid, as the above Exemption is only for on duty law enforcement officers :(
Are they trying to talk about a ballistic knife which launches a spring-loaded blade with a pistol shape, stupid politicians ??? :huh:
Next thing they will be outlawing plastic butter knifes..... oh .... wait .... they(TSA) already have

Last Edited:
always open your "legal" knife with both hands if you are around any police officers. Being able to open if fast with one hand and no mechanical assists is illegal. just a side note. funny but not funny thing is that every knife dealer or seller has used fast one hand opening for demo's as a selling point and in fact that is why I have bought every knife I own. I guess learning skills for a TOOL will have to collect dust and we go back to what our mommies said"use both hands sweetie" Thanks for letting me get that out it has bothered me for decades

It does get complicated. Unlike the gun laws, where we have State Preemption, knife laws change from town to town. And as you can see, they're complicated, designed to entrap you, and certainly subject to very selective enforcement. The Al Mar SERE2000 that rides in my RF pocket with clip visible is probably OK in rural Skagit or Snohomish County. But if in Seattle, the 3½ inch blade would make it illegal. The truth is, most people TRY to comply, but there are so many laws that you can't help breaking one, and if you're on Officer Unfriendly's list he's always got an excuse to nail you.

"Did you really think we want those laws observed?" said Dr. Ferris. "We want them to be broken. You'd better get it straight that it's not a bunch of boy scouts you're up against... We're after power and we mean it... There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What's there in that for anyone? But just pass the kind of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced or objectively interpreted – and you create a nation of law-breakers – and then you cash in on guilt. Now that's the system, Mr. Reardon, that's the game, and once you understand it, you'll be much easier to deal with."

--Ayn Rand ('Atlas Shrugged' 1957)

Am I right in reading that the state has no regulation on blade length and pocket knives? Would the Emerson "Patented "wave shaped opening feature"" fall under "other mechanical device"?

What ever happened to the other punctuation marks. That's a whole paragraph of nothing but commas and semi-colons!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top